“Good reasonable price option in Panama City”

DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City
Ranked #31 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Philadelphia, PA
“Good reasonable price option in Panama City”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 3/17-3/20 with our son, age 10. We had a Executive Suite room which was quite large. It consisted of two rooms -- a bedroom with two double beds and another sitting room. Both rooms had televisions and there were a couple of stations in English (CNN and a fox channel). The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable.

The Staff tries hard, but do not expect super service. My husband speaks Spanish so we can not attribute the shortcomings to a language barrier. For example, we had a package that included a happy hour each night with food. When we went down each night, the Staff did not seem to have anything set out (and other guests experienced the same). The Staff would then allow people to go to the bar and then they tried to make some sort of snack. The first night was mozzarella sticks. The whole happy hour was just disorganized.

The business center was very good -- 3 working computers and quick internet service. You have to pay, however, if you want to print anything out. There is an ATM in the hotel and the front desk can make change for you.

There is a pool and jacuzzi on the roof, which were both fine. The most surprising part of this hotel was the gym -- it is very well equipped (treadmills and elliptical machines, free weights), and the gym itself is quite large with windows.

The hotel is in a good location and you can walk to the department store next door (if you forgot anything -- store is very similar to a Macy's) and there is a pharmacy right around the corner.

Also, there is a new Panama City tour operator (double decker bus) and one of the stops is just down the street from the hotel. There is also a great Italian restaurant (Tre Scallni) next to the hotel and the food is excellent.

The hotel overall was fine...and I would recommend it. This is a good value hotel and on that basis, it will be fine. If you are used to a higher level of service, this is not the option for you.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of construction going on in Panama City and noise will be an issue (especially if you are on the first floor of this hotel)

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor are noisy with construction going on.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed here for one night before catching a cruise from Colon. The location was OK, although the metro construction nearby made getting around a bit difficult. The hotel itself was clean, modern and the staff was more than pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pjsubway
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Staff was friendly, at the front desk and in the restaurant. Room was clean but air conditioning was quite noisy -- so much so it woke me up a couple times at night. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was clean, lots of hot water, lots of water pressure. Complimentary wifi was stable and fast. TV channel lineup was not great for a non-Spanish speaker.

Food was not great. I tried an angus hamburger via room service. I did not finish it despite being hungry. Dinner at the restaurant was not much better. Breakfast was saved by the omelette bar.

Would I stay here again? Probably, based on the price.

Eric Wittkopp

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

This hotel has highly professional staff, the rooms are spotless, the beds and bathrooms are brand new, if you want clean, then this is your hotel. There are several drawbacks that have to be mentioned: 1) The rooms, at least on my floor, have the "old school" double door shared between 2 rooms (of course these are locked as they are in all hotels). But, when your "suitemate" (and that's how it feels), opens their door to the room, it sounds like someone is opening your door. Sorry, but it can be a little jolting when all you want to do is relax. Also, I could hear my neighbor clear his throat, not coughing, just an ordinary clearing. To me, I should never be able to hear doors like they are in my own room, and throat clearing when paying $150 and more per night. I have mixed feelings because the staff all seem to work hard, are professional, and helpful (they really are). Other small points, the pool is about the size of my living room, 17-22 feet, so don't be shocked at the size. The elevators can hold 3 large adults, a 4th is too cramped. The bar sits smack dab (7 feet) in front of the front desk check in....it's like drinking in front of the sober police, who wants that? The location is key, and that is why I stayed her, after staying at Trump (known as "Donald Trump" to taxis, be sure to say "Donald"). Trump totally lacks in location, here you have some wild events nearby...several restaurants varying in cultural cuisine, believe it or not, a bar where prostitutes wait for you (they look quite "high end" and could easily be on a FB site as "out on the night" scene-attractive to say the least). Speaking of the ladies, there is a strip club. Le Palace, with an awesome 70's neon sign (I'm a feminist by the way), with women who could easily be actresses (to be honest, these two scenes were saddening, these women could be models making 6 figures in the states, CEO's if they wanted it, or whatever they wanted to be). Still, they "seem to be" ok with this (though, I still doubt it), and for a pass-pbye, it's not something you will ever see in the USA. The Doubletree hotel is good, but there are some serious kinks (room noise is a huge pet peeve, as is shower pressure, it was B at best). Trump costs about $70 more per night, for the room it is worth it (god, those rooms were divine, especially the rain shower bathrooms). But, for the area, Doubletree wins, without a doubt, the local area here trumps Trump. So, think about what matters most to you. There are good grocery stores by Doubletree and Trump within a 4-5 minute walk...but Doubletree had the more interesting walk, you felt like you were part of the area. Both are safe, by the way. ps. In Panama doggie doo is not required to be picked up, this was the case by both hotels.

Room Tip: Ask if they have rooms that do not share a door with the room adjacent to you!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I made a reservation at this hotel using points. When I arrived they confirmed that it was a "point's stay" and gave me a upgrade, as I am a Diamond Member.
Upon my checkout, they gave me a bill for the entire 4 night stay. I said that it must've been a mistake and the person told me that if it was booked with points, a monetary value would not have been listed. Anyway, I used my girlfriend's computer and pulled up the points confirmation to show them. They told me to email it to the front desk (no problem, I did it right there) and they gave me a bill for just the room service.
I get back to the states and a week later my boss says that my hotel was charged to my company credit card!!!!! Not good. I tried to contact the manager at the hotel, but either she does not exist or just doesn't care. I wrote her an email and left voice messages with no response. I called the Hilton HHonors hotline and they could not contact the manager either. Meanwhile, HHonors is cutting me a check and thanks to Double Tree Panama, my bank is overdrafted, as work deducted the funds and they don't seem to care.
I can obviously not recommend this hotel based on my experience, however, it was a nice place to stay while I was there. Too bad they ruined my experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple