“Study vacation”

Ileri Panama Spanish School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Learn Spanish in Panama City in our Spanish School. ILERI PANAMA SPANISH SCHOOL The school with the most experience in Panama since 1994. Our goal is the teaching of the language through the life and culture of the host country. Learn Spanish in Panama in our Spanish school. We offer students the flexibility to customize programs to meet specific needs
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 11 February 2017

This School has one of the best teachers and education tools such as trips to local places. They also have affiliations with orphanages if you would like to volunteer for community work.

I studied in the school in Sep 2016 for a period of 2 weeks. The school placed me with a warm and good family that was also walking distance from school.

The school is situated in the heart of Panama City Called "El Dorado".
I had requested for a spanish Diploma preparation course "DELE" which turned out one of the best decisions i have made!. I had an exam in Oct the same year and I felt confident to sit for the exam.

You must pay a visit if you would like to have a mix of both education and leisure.

Ileri Panama Spanish School is the best in Panama.

Ghada

in 3 reviews
"panama"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 7 February 2017

The teachers are very friendly and helpful. I also enjoyed the school's quiet neighborhood. Walking-distance to the shopping center and bus stop is a big plus.

1  Thank Tzu H
Reviewed 6 February 2017

My family took classes at Ileri in 2011 and again in 2016. We really enjoyed all of our instructors who welcomed us as family. We will definitely be back for more language training in the future.

1  Thank jenniervin
Reviewed 6 February 2017

I studied Spanish at ILERI for 6 months between May and December 2015, not having had any structured grammar coursework in the past. I was an inexperienced language learner and I give my rating from this perspective. If you are inexperienced, you would probably benefit from a more structured learning program. However, if you have experience learning languages, I think you will find the staff very willing to adapt to your suggestions for enhancing your learning experience. Overall, the experience was good and I´ll share the pros and cons of my experience.

PROS
1) Strong emphasis on Panamanian culture. Cooking classes, dancing lessons. The instructors are Panamanian and know their country well.
2) Very, very friendly and professional staff with emphasis on customer service.
3) Comfortable environment. If the air went out, they would always accommodate you with fans.
4) Free coffee, sugar, and creamer daily. Some schools charge for this amenity.
5) They offer a wide variety of course structures to accommodate your language goals and schedule, whether it be group or private classes, or dual-country learning. I spent a very educational and unforgettable week in Costa Rica, thanks to the Director.
6) Classes are designed more for short-term studies of a week to a month.
7) Internet is widely available in the host family homes and in the school.
8) Is close to shopping and bus line.
9) They arrange fun excursions.
10) You meet a lot of interesting people from the Air Force Academy, the embassy, other educational institutions, etc.

CONS
1) The course content could have been better designed and structured.
2) There did not appear to be a clear method for improving one´s weaknesses. For instance, I studied there for 6 months. And for the entire 6 months I was told I had problems using the preterit and imperfect tenses, among others. Yet I don´t think I was told that I ever improved, so I had wished I had been given more specific work to polish my weaknesses.
3) If you think the professor practices their Spanish more than you do, be sure to mention it right away. I didn´t say anything until I decided to not extend my studies for 2 months. I believe the director would have corrected this issue if I had brought it to her attention sooner, but I hesitated to say anything because I liked the friendly, professional staff so well.
4) Also mention if you think the professor is not correcting you enough. Be proactive. Have a plan ready to correct any perceived deficiencies in the training methodology.
5) If you want Spanish TV watching to be a part of your study routine, negotiate it up front. Either I did not feel welcome watching the TV in the common area of my host family, or there was no TV available in the common living area to watch. I think this is a cultural thing that has to do with limited electricity. Therefore, if you want this, negotiate it up front.
6) Also, if I were to do it over again, I would bring some Spanish grammar workbooks from the U.S. "Practice makes Perfect" has some excellent ones. Having classes completely in Spanish has pros and cons. Sometimes, its better to study grammar with English explanations first.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend ILERI for studies of up to a month. For 6 months of study, I don´t think my conversational skills improved accordingly. However, if you have plans of longer study, if you keep these tips in mind, you´ll be better positioned to make the most of your learning experience at ILERI. Some schools do a better job of improving your conversational skills and grammar in a more structured manner, but they are not as cozy and inviting as ILERI, and don´t do as good of a job teaching you about the rich culture. But if you can glean any wisdom from my experience, it is possible to go in better prepared and get the best of both worlds.

2  Thank Akil C
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 February 2017

I have participated in the Ileri Spanish School program twice and i can say that it has helped me develop my Spanish exceptionally. Now i am about to graduate with my Associates degree in Spanish because of the help i have had from the program throughout my years.

Not only is it a learning experience, you meet such a variety of different people with the drive to learn another language just like yourself, at different learning levels from completely beginner to pretty advanced but rough around the edges

They believe in in-classroom learning and also first hand experiences so we took field trips to different locations in Panama to practice our speaking skills with locals in addition to learning about the Panamanian culture.

It was overall a great experience and i would do it again and again!!

1  Thank Kirsten O