“Look past the dated decor and enjoy the good chinese food”
Review of Cantonese House

Cantonese House
Ranked #75 of 364 Restaurants in Managua
Price range: USD 10 - USD 15
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 2 June 2016

Upon arriving at the restaurant I was not impressed. I was even less impressed upon entering. The decor was beyond dated and the atmosphere was lacking. Moreover there was a stale smell in the air that I concluded was produced by the very old air conditioning unit they had standing near our table. So... going on looks alone the place does not rate well.

We then saw the menu and proceeded to order a considerable number of plates to share among 5 people. This is where the experience improved.

In general Cantonese House, knows what they are doing (in relation to cooking chinese food - not outfitting a restaurant with ambiance and flair.). The sweet and sour soup is the best we have come across in Nicaragua and we are BIG Asian food lovers.

Service was attentive and fast.

As far as value for money goes, it is not a cheap restaurant for Managua standards but given the food REALLY tasted good, we still left satisfied and sure we will return.

As a note, it is important to say we visited during lunch hours. I think evenings would be prettier there as it appears they light up paper lanterns - that might add to the overall experience... I hope :-)

Reviewed 22 December 2015

One of the best Chinese restaurants as far as food goes in Managua. Visit for dinner because the restaurant is not pretty during the day, but at night the lanterns make a romantic setting. They have an aquarium with koi in murky, dingy water. I sit at tables where I can't see it.
I visited once after lunch and it was a bit awkward. It appeared a police official and his companion...a female police officer were giving the owner a shake down. Their Nicaraguan accountant was there with papers showing all the payments they had made proving their licenses were up to date. I stared at the officers in disapproval and the female officer appeared nervous and embarrassed since they were only two tables over and at an ear shot from me. After noticing me watching them the official took their discussion inside. I've seen officers do this to motorists looking for a bribe as it's happened to me on a few occasions (I'll pay a ticket before I pay an officer) , but this was my first experience witnessing this happening to a business owner. However, this scene couldn't take my appetite away. I had the orange chicken, rolls, and wantons with a cold beer or two. My plate came to the table piping hot and my beer was ice cold. Usually the staff is attentive and fast to bring the table settings and drinks. Food takes a bit of time, but it's worth the wait. They have a couple of televisions outside in the dining area so when I'm there before or after the lunch crowd, they'll change the channels so I can watch two games at the same time. This place really does get busy during lunch and dinner. I prefer showing up after the crowd dies down so I don't feel rushed to eat to make room for a table of bank tellers on lunch break. I do love the food here, but I've found a really humble Chinese restaurant with cheap prices in Barrio Central America.
Never the less, Cantonese House is a good place for tourists in a safe barrio with bars near by. Especially good if you're staying at the Managua Backpackers Inn.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

I ate lunch at this restaurant. It was a little pricey for Nicaragua but it was good. Nothing great but good enough to finish.

Reviewed 10 July 2015

William the original owner left for China and his nephew Lee is running the restaurant with the same zeal and politeness. The sweet and sour soup which I have enjoyed for some years is still the best, in my opinion, and the beef with orange was delicious.
This is a place to enjoy again and again and today after a lapse of two years was a real pleasure although the wun tun al vapor was too heavy, and I told him, he knew and I am sure the next time he will be more careful, The place could do with some art work but I didn't go there to see the Mona Lisa.

1  Thank chefgeraldManagua
Reviewed 10 July 2015

Sweet and Sour Soup. Orange beef. Spring Rolls, all the basics have been kept at a high level since William left for Guangouz and his nephew Lee took charge.

Nothing much has changed, the scant framed art work, the timeless furniture, and the service which does not distinguish which comes first the soup or the entree, but it is clean , well priced, and the experience is always satisfying. There are many newer places,, but I think its fair for me to say, as I did years ago, Why go anywhere else