“Hiking and mountain bike”
Review of Bicentennial Park

Bicentennial Park
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 45.00*
and up
San Salvador City Sightseeing Tour
Reviewed 18 February 2015 via mobile

Great for walks and rides. Don't stay on the paved trail, it's too close to the highway and there are way to many people walking and riding on it(specially during the weekends). Instead, head into the unpaved trails, this used to be a coffe farm and the trails are were the coffe cutters used to work. These are super cool for bike rides. There is a guard on almost every turn on the main roads and they can help you out if you get lost (the 'you are here' maps aren't that great), they also know a lot about the plants, trees and animals. We did hear a few parrots, couldn't see them, they are super hard to spot, because they are exactly the same colour as the leaves in the trees. We did see a few squirrels and a beautiful wild cat! (Not a house cat) . It's a great place if you love to see different types of insects.
There are some fun agility games for the big kids and some simple swings and slides for the little ones. Do wear lots and lots of mosquito cream or spray. Do take your water with you.

Reviewed 27 October 2014

This park is clean, well guarded during the day, and easy to reach by bike or car. While running in the middle just a few hundred meters from the main road I couldn't even hear the sounds of traffic, and the path is very jungle-like with many areas shaded from the sun. The path goes from groomed dirt to rocky with ruts but it was maintained better than I expected. Parking was $2 and the lot is guarded and during the day there were enough families at the picnic tables to give it a safe feeling.

Now, I went to go running and as soon as I left the main area I was more or less alone out there, the deeper I went (it is not very big) the more isolated I felt. Every five mins or so I would come across a clandestine couple trying to get away from prying eyes, but other than that, solito. This was not a big deal and when I weaved my way back to the Calle Jerusalem, again there were bikers and runners and the odd cop. At one point I passed a walker going in the opposite direction who looked out of place and when I got about 100m from him I turned around and sure enough he had stopped and was on his cell phone. I doubled back in his direction to see what he would do since I realized I was heading into a stretch with no side routes - there are maps located all over the place which is great. As I approached he didn't get skittish, which might be a good sign, but I nonetheless took a turn and headed back out to the main road. Later I did venture back in farther north and ended up where I started. In another country this was a trick they used at the local running area; when a spotter noticed someone solito he would phone ahead to his buddies up the trail.

I was probably a bit paranoid, but being super pasty and Gringo looking, and alone, I opted to trust my instinct. I will return and the only reason I mention it is to remind readers to keep your eyes open. I think it will be fun to go here with the whole family or with some other runners.

1  Thank Jimmy F
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Nice place to spend some weekend time!
Especially this park is good if you have your pats, bicycle. There is no any other safe bicycle tracks in San Salvador except this one. And your pat(-s) would love to have a long walk there. But you have to remember to keep them always on the leash and have some poop bags with you.
There are some picnics areas, football field and bicycle/ pedestrians walks.
Payment for the entrance requires 2$.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The Bicentennial Park is like a breath of fresh air in the middle of San Salvador. It's easy to reach by car with guarded parking lots, or by taxi, although you should arrange a time for your driver to come back for you (allow 2 hours minimum). There is a small parking fee, but I've forgotten how much. The trails are well marked and there are armed guards throughout the park, so it's safe for tourists. There's a hike & bike trail around the perimeter and walking/biking trails inside the wooded and forested area. On a hot day it's refreshingly cool in the shade. There is some wildlife which occasionally cross the trail. Along the way there are park benches if you're weary or just want to sit down for a while. You probably should carry some water with you. Pets (dogs) are allowed, off leash in some areas but most were on leash on the trails.

4  Thank Osote
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I like to run outdoors and hike and this park is a great place for this and more. My family in El Salvador told me parrots roost in the park at dusk. I wanted to see them up close but most of those tropical birds did a no show. We stayed for a long time but still no parrots. I heard two or three but it was hard to see anything among the trees. However, if you like coffee or botanical stuff this park is great. Lots of coffee plants laden with red beans for viewing and photographing. Sadly someone swiped the orchids in one part of the park and thus another disappointment.