“Cheap Skiing - Jahorina, Bosnia and Herzegovina”
Review of Sarajevo

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sydney
130 helpful votes
“Cheap Skiing - Jahorina, Bosnia and Herzegovina”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

A day (or two) trip from Sarajevo - Jahorina is a great thing to do while in Sarajevo if you like skiing and a lot of snow!

Jahorina was the location of the 1984 Winter Olympics, at a height of around 1,913 metres it is the second highest mountain in BiH. It is located within the Republika Srpska, so it is interesting to see the differences to the Bosniak part of Sarajevo.

During peak winter season, there are daily buses (" the Holiday Bus") from next to the Christmas Markets in the centre of Old Town Sarajevo, which I think run 4 times a day to Jahorina. We caught a bus at 8.30am and returned on the 5pm bus which gave us the perfect amount of time. A return ticket cost 10 BAM ($6.33 AUD). The trip takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the weather, traffic etc. The bus drops you directly outside the ski hire stores and the chair lifts.

There are a number of ski hire stores at Jahorina, we chose Inter Sport where daily ski, boot and pole hire was 20 BAM ($12.65 AUD). All our equipment looked brand new and was comfortable. One issue was that there was no places to hire ski clothing or googles. Googles were for sale for 50 BAM ($31.62 AUD) or sunglasses for 10 euro.

A daily lift pass cost 30 BAM ($18.97 AUD), which probably is discounted per day if you buy a multi day pass.

There are a number of runs available from the 'baby' runs to the black runs that were used for the 1984 Winter Olympics. We are only beginner/intermediate level skiiers so can't provide more commentary on the quality of the runs! There were also a number of cross country tracks.

There were a lot of kids ski lessons taking place, so it could be a great place for a cheaper family skiing holiday if you were able to find an instructor who can speak English.

There were also a lot of hotels on the mountain, including ski in/out hotels and apartments. At the bottom of the ski lifts there were about 8 restaurants - prices here were the same as in Sarajevo (cheap - unlike Australian ski town cafes) e.g. a large pizza cost 10 BAM ($6.33 AUD), beer 2 BAM ($1.26 AUD).

One down side of skiing here was that it was quite foggy when we arrived, which cleared during the middle of the day but returned as we were finishing up around 3pm (whiteout). It was quite hard to see on even the beginner / intermediate track at these times, so I would imagine it would be worse on the higher tracks. Monitoring the weather conditions and being flexible with your skiing days if you are staying in Sarajevo should help you to avoid this though!

Overall, the whole day including transport, food, lift pass and ski hire cost us around $50 AUD - not even half of a one day lift pass at Thredbo in Australia!

24 Thank MelissaLee89
Gdynia, Poland
40 helpful votes
“Pearl of the Balkans”
Reviewed 29 April 2011

For years I have had a fascination with the Balkans - have visited Romania, Bulgaria and Albania repeatedly, and every corner of the former Yugoslavia. It seems I saved the best for last, in this month's trip to Bosnia and Herzegovina. No photo I have seen of Sarajevo does it justice. From arrival, I was stunned by its haunting beauty. So seductively Eastern, yet with every comfort of the West. The bustling markets, ancient mosques and wide verdant gardens in the backdrop of towering mountains make it a wandering pedestrian's dream. For all the obvious signs of the savagery Sarajevans endured during the war and the stark difficulties of the economy, this city has a fiercely optimistic atmosphere. They are a city of extraordinary survivors.

Sarajevo offers something for everybody, in the way of sport, entertainment, shopping and sightseeing. I recommend anyone making a first visit to engage a guide - an easy, inexpensive matter, as great numbers of well-educated young people have turned to employment in the tourist industry. English is fluently spoken, and these kids are invaluable in showing you what lies beyond the obvious places of interest. Daytrips to Mostar and Medugorje are available. I took such a trip, as well as a 19-hour excursion to Kotor and Dubrovnik - each site appreciated, but Sarajevo was by far the star of this holiday.

I enjoyed my visit so much, I'd willingly return tomorrow.

One final note: this is the only holiday I've taken anywhere where not a single time did anyone try to exaggerate a price - not even taxi drivers!

3 Thank Linichka
Sarajevo
3 helpful votes
“What you must know before going to Sarajevo....”
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Before I begin, I must say that you must see Sarajevo ! It is extremely rich in history and culture.... there is a lot to learn from there.

I did a lot of research before going to Sarajevo and ...despite all my research, there are a few things I should have known before going and which were impossible to know at the airport (which I did not find on the Internet).
Yep ! No brochures, no nothing at the airport...

Also, it is not easy to find information when you speak English... (and not bosnian)....

First thing you should know before going is the taxi...
It should not cost you more than 10 Euros (luggages included).
Of course, the taxis at the airport will charge you more than that.
Me, I felt lucky (in my ignorance) to pay 15 Euros when I got there....
!!!!
There are many other taxi compagnies (than the ones waiting at the airport). From instance, check info from Tourist Information Center on the internet...
Ask the taxi to put the meter.. at one. You do not want the second tariff which charges more...

Before I continue with the subject of the hotel. I must say that I met someone I should have known before I went to Sarejevo.
He is extremely ressourful and will tell you everything you need to know (in order not to be overcharged and not to get into trouble because of your ignorance like in the public transportation... where you must get a stamp to validate your ticket...).
I met this person only in my seventh day of my trip (unfortunately)........Zihad Jusufovic. You should be able to contact him through the info center (the info center is difficult to see but worth looking for it !) which is on Saraci Street (next to a post office in the old town, close to the Gazi Husrev Bey's Mosque). He is the President of Tourism....

If you communicate with a hotel through Internet or phone, never send your credit card number in advance (by post, email, and so forth...) even if you are told it is required ! If they insist, find another hotel instead.

Want to know more ? I (already) put enough info for you to be able to find more info on your own and have a fantastic trip !!

3 Thank a_travelerSarajevo
Naples, Italy
36 helpful votes
“Times of Misfortune Tour”
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We took this Times of Misfortune Tour through the Tourist Information Center and I would NOT recommend it! The only reason I can recommend this tour is because you are driven around the city and shown the sites of the war. Useful if you do not have transportation. If you are looking to actually learn indepth facts of the war, this is not the right tour. This tour was narrated by a 17 year old kid who used the tour as a platform to voice his personal opinions and biases. He could give general facts he probably learned in school, but, as he was only born during the war, he had no personal knowledge and certainly was unable to discuss any tactical aspects of the fighting. He incorrectly talked about some historical facts regarding the war as well as WWII. No 17 year old high school student should be giving such a tour.

Washington, DC
22 helpful votes
“Must go place for everyone!”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Sarajevo is a historic, cultural, funny.... place. Above all, it's a city where great people live. Despite everything they've gone through they remained positive, warm and friendly.
Take some walks in the city centre, eat burek, cevapi and other local specialties... drink at least a bit of some home made rakia. There are plenty of places to go out... and also many festivals going on throughout the year.. Sarajevo Film Festival, for instance.
You can also make a one day trip to the mountains surrounding Sarajevo, you'll enjoy beautiful views, fresh air, and some simple, but great food again :-)

1 Thank Rrr_DC

Been to Sarajevo? Share your experiences!