“Superb Japanese Cuisine”

Shogun Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #45 of 104 Restaurants in Ashland
Reviewed 17 July 2015

My wife and I have visited Shogun Japanese Steakhouse on four or five occasions. We are greeted with true Japanese hospitality. The special cocktails are out-of-this world. I heartily recommend the Pomegranate Martini. Deb likes the Orange Blossom. The super abundance of food in every serving has taught us to split the dish. We each get a fresh, tasty salad with yum-yum sauce (their own special ginger blend) and soup. The main course, for us, is usually a teriyaki shrimp or chicken. You can't go wrong with the shrimp, chicken, steak, or lobster. We've tried them all. Accompanied by white or fried rice, we have found we have enough food to split for dinner and a lunch serving for the next day. We have not found any place in the area to match the service, friendliness, quality and quantity of food for a reasonable price. If you're in the Ashland (Walmart) area, for goodness sake, don't miss this one!!!!! It has become our special night out place to go.

Reviewed 14 July 2015 via mobile

Grade-A sushi and hibachi dining experience. Best Seaweed salad anywhere, steak, udon noodles, friend rice, chicken...best Japanese food in town.

Reviewed 7 July 2015 via mobile

I should have taken the hint when I saw the place was essentially empty on a Saturday night. But I knew it was part of the same restaurant group that owns the excellent Shogun in Barboursville, WV...so I foolishly ignored the empty parking lot and absence of date-night patrons. Three of us were served in record time, but the food was brought to the table out of order. Her main course was brought before we even had our drinks. My soup came after the sushi was delivered. All of our sushi was dried out and crusty from having been pre-made and baking under heat lamps while it waited for someone to arrive to order it. I ordered three different rolls. Two were indeed what I ordered even if they were dehydrated and tasteless. The third item was a tempura that I did not order. I ate it anyway, hoping for a redeeming surprise. It was especially bad. Tasteless, poor texture and the wrong item is not a winning combination. The third person in our group asked for steak sauce. She was given sweet ketchup. Her Hibachi vegetables were raw and her brown rice was gelatinous and cold from being made so far in advance. It had been placed in a bowl until it cooled so much that the cooking oils congealed to a gel and the resulting rice blob retained the shape of the bowl that had held it as it solidified and aged. The manager refused to come to the table or to speak to us about the horrible meal. He sent word with the frightened waitress that he could have the food re-made. No thank you. The Barboursville managers need to know how poorly their Ashland sister-restaurant is being run.

1  Thank FlyboyWV
Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

Always get plenty of food here. Everything I have tried has been great. Take friends here a lot when I'm in the area. Everyone is always pleased.

Reviewed 27 February 2015 via mobile

Do not waste your money here, nasty and food was no good. They cook food in back and bring to table, when food got to table it was cold

1  Thank Daniel K

Been to Shogun Japanese Steakhouse? Share your experiences!