See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

During heavy rain water sips in Rooms 104 and105 . we were initially given room 104 and then transferred to a better room. we had the same problem last year....it has been a year and this issue is not fixed..outsiders are allowed to drink near the pool....they make noises late nights till early hrs in the morning. They have pets pussy cats who fight early in the morning.It appears that guest privacy and a decent sleep is not a priority. Rooms are looking tired now. On the good side restaurant staff were really helpful and friendly. Its high time the owners give a serious thought on the issues raised.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank shaneel
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

It was not the rain that caused the problem, there was a broken water pipe in the room above that affected both rooms. Guests of the hotel are allowed to use the area around the pool if they wish to drink. At the time there were a number of groups in the hotel. Noise levels are monitored and are always kept as low as possible by our Porters and Security guards and guests are reminded of this regularly. The hotel does not have pet cats, the cats that are the rear of the hotel are wild and attempts to catch them have not been successful. Both rooms 104 and 105 are nowhere near the rear of the building. The suite rooms including 104 and 105 were repainted over the last three months and completed at the end of September with new queen beds installed. It is pleasing to hear that the restaurant staffs were helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was referred to this hell hole (I mean, hotel) but an organisation for whom I was doing some work. I had asked for recommendations and was given the name of this hotel and went ahead and booked it thinking it would be okay (didn't look at Trip Advisor).

The reviews are correct - cockroaches, no toiletries, no hot water (I stayed for 3 nights and had cold showers all the time and the last day there was no water - which the management knew from 6:00am and when I left the hotel at 10:00am, there was *still* no water and attempts to fill the tank still had not materialised after 4 hours).

The staff was pleasant but ineffectual (I would tell them in the morning that my water was not hot or that the internet was not working but in the evening nothing would have been done).

The only positive was that the towels were fluffy - but they come late in the day after the laundry has been done so if you are in the room during the day, you'll be drying you hands on your clothes...

I would not like to return to Suva and if I had to, I would certainly not stay at this hotel. Don't believe the website which says that it is easy walking distance to the main shopping area - it is not.
Breakfast is expensive for some ridiculous pieces of sweet, square bread, a tiny plate of fruit and lipton tea.

Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank bluemercury
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My friend and I were booked into this hotel and can only totally agree with all the bad reviews I have found on Trip Advisor following my return home.

The rooms are gross, disgusting, unclean, no shampoo, soap, internet, and the beds were so bad, and the sofa bed was woeful, could not sleep all night. We were booked into for 2 nights but relocated the following morning - one terrible night there was more than enough. We discussed the refund of monies for the unused night with the manger to seek a refund for the unused night, to no avail - naturally! He said something about him contacting the company who owned the hotel, but have not heard a thing in a few weeks.

Do not stay there is my only advice...it is so sad that there are not more decent hotels in Suva, but I will never return to Suva after this experience. Also do not walk anywhere at night, most unsafe, and we were told this by a local, who insisted we catch a taxi from the hotel at all times, or we were very likely to come to grief. Even a taxi driver told us 'ladies' should not stay there as it was the hotel for 'good times' girls...if you know what I mean....and now I believe every word he said, but we had no choice on the first night!

P.S. to the person responding to all the 'bad reviews' on Trip Advisor how about you spend some time and money doing something about the quality of the hotel instead of writing meaningless comments and making excuses instead of taking real action.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CHLOEGIRL10

Deluxe rooms, standard rooms and family suites on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors have new furniture and have been repainted over the last eight months. This was totally completed at the end of September. Most of the beds have been replaced with new single, double or queen beds.
Rooms are inspected on a daily basis by management staff and if found to be “unclean” the housemaid is requested to clean again. Shampoo, conditioner and gel are supplied in the deluxe rooms and family suites. Soap is provided in all rooms of the hotel. Internet is also provided in all rooms and if there was a problem, reporting to the reception would have been appreciated.
No doubt it is possibly safer to travel by taxi at night and Suva would be equal to a lot of destinations throughout the world. As far as information given that the hotel was being used for “good time girls” this is not correct, as any indication that this may happen is stopped at the entrance by the security.
Complaints that are received are taken seriously by management and definitely will be investigated and fixed immediately.
However I do appreciate the comments you have made.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

The Hotel is not right in the centre of Suva but you can walk up the hill. The rooms are really big and they clean them good. Beds are big but the first two days the sheets where smelling like cigarettes. The pool is too small but they have a nice bar next to it and every day happy hours with good prices. The people working there are really nice and smilling.

We paid 50 USD including a basic breakfast for one night. That is a really good price for Fiji. I can recommend this place.

Room Tip: The lower floors have better wifi, floor number 4 is not for internet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for comments regarding the rooms.

I am sorry that you had problems with the sheets on your bed. Unless requested by the guest the sheets are changed every second day for those that are staying longer than one night.

Because of the area where the pool is situated it could not have been made any bigger.

Thank you also for the comments concerning the staff. The staff are here to provide the best service we possibly can and hopefully always with a smile.

I am currently looking into the problem with the Wifi on the 4th floor that you commented about.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was only in Fiji for 2 nights to attend a family commitment and decided to stay at a budget location as I did not intend to spend much time here. Only coming back to sleep.

The room was very basic. The bedding was not of good quality. Rooms were cleaned daily but can't expect a thorough job. Did notice some roaches etc but I guess given climate and not being a full sealed air con room, they can't be avoided.
We were sleeping near the pool and a rugby game was being televised and there was too much noise coming in.

Its in front of a busy road so expect some noise. Taxi's all know this place and easy to flag 1 down the road. Staff will also help arrange one for you and they are quite polite and helpful.

Security is also available at the rear entrance which makes it safer. No safes etc so Don't leave anything expensive in the room.
Travelled in november 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank exfiji

Thank you for your comments.

Since your visit in November 2012, the rooms on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors have been renovated. Most of the rooms now have personal safes however any valuables may still be left at the Reception and placed in the hotel safe. A receipt is given for such instances.

Rooms are continually sprayed for cockroaches.

The new hours for the Pool Bar on a weekday basis are from 2pm – 8pm and Saturday/Sunday 10am – 4pm. All rugby games are now shown in our Sports Bar on the 2nd Floor only.

I am very pleased at the comments given about the staff being polite and helpful.

The security is available at the front and back entrances of the hotel from 5pm – 8am 7 days a week.

I hope that you will visit us again and look forward to further comments.