All reviews smugglers cove sister hostel ocean view free wifi free activities solo traveller air con travel desk wailoaloa beach free airport double room every evening nadi town stayed nights island hopping main island bamboo backpackers
Reviewed 21 July 2016

Great value for money.At present best location on Wailoaloa Beach. More quiet though just a stones throw away from the others. Extremely pleasant staff.Small pool on reception side of complex. Wifi ok throughout hotel. The restaurant should reinfurbish a little on menu. Breakfast avilable at small cost.

Room tip: Rooms in 2nd floor facing the beach with balconies is an excellent choice and value.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2016

So my bus dropped me at the entrance, you basically have to walk down a driveway and there are hostels and backpackers everywhere, I had no idea if I was going the right way - not the first impression I thought i'd have!
Reception area was nice, but staff weren't the best, all looked a bit fed up! Check in was quick and my sea view room was ok - very small. Room just had a hard double bed, few old tables and an old wardrobe, and a fridge, which didn't work at first (and I kept it off at night as so noisy!). Bathroom was nice and big, and an excellent shower. Balcony was good, and view really was awesome, especially at sunset.
I had dinner here the first night - fish and chips, and I think it's gotta be the worst meal ever, and it wasn't cheap! The kitchen looked like it belonged in a school, very basic, and no sign of a bar, although think they may have sold drinks.
Free wifi was ok in the public areas, but in my room it didn't really work. Wifi was much better in neighbouring hostels, and also free. There were bugs everywhere also, and this wasn't helped when the hotel was so open, but I got used to this in Fiji!
Common areas were small - swimming pool was next to reception, and mostly in the shade all day. Beach and hammocks were at the back, and all hotel facilities could be used by anyone not staying here. All travellers seemed to use all the different hostels, so I would probably stay in a cheaper one, and just visit here.
For the price you pay for this hotel, no way is it worth the money!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2016

I love a bargain, but I also love a clean comfy space. Tropic of Capricorn was just that. We booked a budget double room ($80FJD) which was clean, spacious and quiet. After staying in dorms on the islands it was pure bliss to sleep in a double bed and have our own bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food took quite a while to come out but it was worth the wait, very tasty! Very happy with our experience :)

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

This place gave me the best time in Fiji. The staff is amazing, the price is very competitive in relation to what you get. It is the perfect place to wake up and walk 10 steps to enjoy the beach or a beautiful sunset. I simply loved it. The food is very good and cheap. Every corner of the hotel has a place or a hammock to relax. The pool is good and clean. If you need to do some work or some time in your laptop you can use the Internet sanctuary. 100% recommended!!!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

This review could have been better if the service, room(s), amenities, wifi or attitude when something goes wrong were anything better than awful.

The TOC will say they are a cool mansion property with ocean views for people on a budget. I would disagree. I would also suggest looking at the responses to previous reviews to ascertain the attitude of the management here.

Me and my wife stayed here at the end of a 3 month trip around Asia and Australia. We have stayed in all manner of places and this 'resort' is near the top of the worst.

Some Negatives;

The staff are genuinely friendly but that doesn't make up for the fact they are not helpful. We had trouble with the smell in room 8 as well as the lack of electricity but no apology was forthcoming. When we had insects and geckos in our room they were not interested and dos not offer any solutions.

The whole 'resort' needs an update. Paint is chipping, the pool is a mess (and was not cleaned while we were here), tiles are missing and doors/windows are paper thin.

The wifi is incredibly slow.

The kitchen takes an hour to make a toasted sandwich.

Some Positives;

Sunset views are amazing.

Airport pickup but not a drop off.

We were not expecting a lot as it is a cheap price but we should have had a clean room with amenities quoted.

Go to smugglers cove or nadi bay resort and save yourself some trouble, frustration and annoyance in a beautiful part of the world.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
the_fiji_islander, Manager at Tropic of Capricorn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2016

Bula vinaka Luke.

Thank you for the feedback. We have shared you comments with our whole team and they are sincerely sorry for the frustration. We acknowledge our imperfections and embrace the challenge to improve our guest experience. We encountered an electricity maintenance issue during your stay which in turn caused an unpleasant smell and heat situation. For this reason the doors and windows where left open before your stay, and a cheeky gecko must have slipped in.. A few playful geckos live in our natural surrounds. Our Property Manager assures us that both our Maintenance and Housekeep Teams responded to sort out this complaint, but we were genuinely unable to take action on your request to swap rooms. We would have if we could have, but the property was fully booked on this night! And our Property Manager assures us that apologies where made at the time, but we understand that first impressions last.

We have taken your advice and launched a maintenance blitz this week. Our aim is to maintain the basic quality of our cool old Beach Mansion at a simple level for budget travellers, and after this week the Tropic property will be looking a tad better :) We also use review responses as an opportunity to temper guests expectations, dissuade tourists with higher expectations, and recommend Smugglers Cove or Nadi Bay Resort for those who have a few extra $$ to spend. We hope this a helpful form of communication to align expectation and reality..

And finally, thanks for the nice comments. Yes we are so lucky to have such amazing sunsets at Tropic :)

Vinaka and best wishes,