“Extremely disappointing”

Grand Melanesian Hotel
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
“Extremely disappointing”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

The service at the reception is non-existent. You have to pay a $20 deposit for your bath towels (for your room!) and god help you if you are staying the a few days, because they won't change the towels! No hand towels in the room. Just one pair of mismatching cups, and non-working TV, which after complaining to the reception, was told someone would come around soon to have a look (no one did). Couldn't sleep all night due to the traffic and the noises coming from other rooms. Booked for 2 days but couldn't take it anymore, so we checked out the next day and went elsewhere. Was lucky to find another hotel nearby, which cost about the same but excelled in service and cleanliness.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scuzzy1973

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I really need to start checking reviews before I book a strange place on line!

The staff was really friendly, BUT.....

I booked my room in September via a link on the Air Pacific web site for an over night layover enroute to Auckland. My credit card was immediately charged. When I arrived in Nadi it took three phone calls over the course of an hour to get the shuttle to come pick us up.

The hotel had no record of our reservation. I showed them the confirmation email I rec'd from Air Pacific and three staff members puzzled over it, speaking Fijian, for several minutes. In the end I was told that I would have to pay for the room again because they had no record of the reservation. I was told that Air Pacific didn't notify them of my reservation. I asked for a letter explaining why I had to pay again so I could try and get reimbursement from Air Pacific. I was promised I'd have the letter as an email by noon today. It's now 10 pm and I don't have it. I doubt I ever will.

The hotel building is concrete block construction. The double bed mattress was pretty worn out, but the sheets were clean if you ignored the cigarette burn holes. The roaches were varied, but all were slow. One of the staff came and sprayed roach killer all round for us. That, and a towel stuffed under the hall door, seemed to keep any others at bay.

Bottom line.......avoid this hotel! And don't book a hotel through the Air Pacific web site, go directly to the hotel web site if they have one. If they don't, you probably need to look for one that does. And, avoid any hotel that has "Grand" or similar superlative adjectives in its name.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlaskanMariner

Travellers are raving about these Nadi hotels

Budapest, Hungary (Europe)
Reviewed 2 December 2010

The hotel is on the mainroad, so it is noisy. It is close to the airport, not in a nice place. The rooms are not nice. The hotel is promises, that they pick up you from and to the airport. But if you are not very-very-very self confident, you won't get it. (2010 November)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank shanerana
San Francisco
Reviewed 8 January 2010

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life! The stuff was friendly but the room and the toilet were REALLY disgusting! There is nothing interesting in the area! I just stayed here because my flight arrived in Nadi at 12:40am and I just wanted a place to sleep until next morning. I really regretted! I prefer to spend a little more and stay in a better place!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank citizen_kane_2009
Travellers also viewed these Nadi hotels
0.0 km away
Tropic of Capricorn
#3 of 25 in Nadi
2.2 km away
Aquarius On The Beach

Been to Grand Melanesian Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Grand Melanesian Hotel

Property: Grand Melanesian Hotel
Address: Namaka Lane, Namaka, Nadi | Near Nadi International Airport, Nadi, Viti Levu, Fiji
Region: Fiji > Viti Levu > Nadi
Business Centre with Internet Access Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Price range (per night): $71 - $92
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Grand Melanesian Hotel 2.5*
Ideally located near the International Airport having 4 Suites, 3 upgraded Deluxe Rooms, 11 Deluxe Rooms, 4 Family Rooms and 27 Standard Rooms with 2 Swimming Pools (one having the slide as well), Restaurant, Bar, Wi-Fi Hotspots in the full Island Style Hospitality. Most rooms now fitted with big LED screens giving 10 channel satellite television. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Priceline, lastminute.com.au, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Melanesian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Grand Melanesian Hotel Fiji/Nadi