“Stunning venue, fabulous seafood”

Tamarind House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Avarua
Price range: USD 12 - USD 68
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The exclusive, romantic and private restaurant venue on the island with delicious and world-renowned Pacific cuisine. Away from the crowds and the public eye, a fine dining evening with your loved ones or a wedding at Tamarind House is an extra special experience. Whether your requirements are large or small, we are eager to accommodate you with an event that you will long remember. Tamarind House is a versatile venue offering five different areas to suit any occasion. Tamarind House Restaurant on the island of Rarotonga in the Cook Islands is situated on a large oceanfront property, with it's stately beautifully restored historic colonial house, huge verandas and french doors, and a lovely garden shaded by coconut palms and green lawns sweeping down to the ocean. It is just a 3 minute drive from the town centre, and the round the island bus stops just by the entrance. You can enjoy a feeling of nostalgia for a bygone era in the peaceful seclusion of our truly unique tropical setting.
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

Visited with my family for my inlaws 40th wedding anniversary. My 3 kids were in tow (ages 12, 10 & 8) and I find the kids menu to be good and they didn't leave hungry! Fantastic that gluten free catered for as well because both my daughter and husband are Coeliacs.

Just like most places in Rarotonga, view was stunning. What made this extra special was the grass area.

Seafood was fabulous and great choice of wines as well. 5 star service levels.

We caught the bus from the other side of the island. Timed it beautifully but you may want to check timetable of buses if your going as a couple if you have a later dinner reservation.

Highly recommend.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

This was a very nice meal, with good , attentive service....possibly a bit too quick in that we might have liked to linger over a pre-dinner drink for a few minutes before ordering, but otherwise great. The fish and duck mains we ordered were very tasty, the accompaniments excellent, and the desserts and cocktails excellent. we made a mistake in ordering the desert cocktails which were a bit over the top...too much, too sweet, but lovely if only they'd been half the size. This is a very nice setting and on a wet and windy night still very pleasant.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

Hubby and I had dinner here for our 40th wedding anniversary. There was a good variety to choose from and we chose the seafood platter. It included tempura prawns, calamari crumbed, oysters, prawn salad, shasimi and fish curry which was a tasting plate. Great being able to try the different menu items all in one and it was a very generous serve which we were unable to finish. Next time I'll just choose a meal for myself as I didn't like a few of the items on the serving plate. I don't like the way that they assume you want the bottle of filtered water and tried to charge $7 for it when we didn't even open the bottle. We had to tell them to take it off the bill

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant about 4 times over the past 4 years and it just feels like it gets better and better ! The service is incredible. The food, well if I didn't have manners i would have licked the plate and the cocktails. ... oh my word !!!! Their attention to detail is very evident from the food to the water bottles!
The views are just incredible and even on a rainy overcast day, you are guaranteed to get spectacular photos !
I keep taking new people to this restaurant and they are always blown away by the experience!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

We had a group of 15 including 5 kids and the staff handled it all wonderfully. We were able to play tag out in the garden while we waited and the kids meals were spot on. The photo was top class both in taste and presentation.