All reviews huge balcony amazing balcony great location old city ciudad vieja historic charm budget hotel the main pedestrian street priced hotel walking street charming hotel staff are extremely helpful antique furniture excellent option within walking distance central location floor room
Reviewed 1 January 2017

I stayed here for 2 nights and had a top floor room with a wonderful, huge balcony. The hotel is in a great location, just a few steps from the main pedestrian street and a block from the main plaza. It has an old fashioned elevator (wrought iron grill that you can see through) which was awesome. The place has lots of character and is furnished with antiques. I selected a top floor room because I knew they came with a huge balcony and I sat out there and did all my email in the evenings. The room is small and it was difficult to find a place to really open a large size suitcase. The place is charming, a bit quirky and I loved this place and will stay here again if I come here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor have a huge balcony.
Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2016

This hotel is located in the Old City of Montevideo, and is a walking distance from some of Montevideo's main attractions, like the Torres Garcia museum and Plaza San Martin.

The building is old and quaint, and though I usually like quaint buildings, I found the hotel to be a bit creepy. This was coupled by having an old, grumpy receptionist who made me feel slightly uneasy whenever I talked to her.

The rooms are good size, and comfortable though.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah A
Reviewed 4 December 2016

European grace in a very inexpensive hotel. The rooms aren't fancy, but they were clean and comfortable. Most importantly the staff was always friendly and helpful. The location was wonderful, made Montevideo a memorable side trip.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2016

I first became aware of Hotel Palacio about ten years ago after a chance conversation with someone who was staying there. This was my third revisit to Montevideo and having booked many months in advance, I managed to get a room. More bijou than palacial, this little gem was worth the wait. At first glance it looks as though it hasn't been touched for 50 years but behind the original brass and wrought iron gates of the elevator is a new car, the bathroom fittings are fairly new and there are new aircon units in the bedrooms. It's as though the Uruguayan equivalent of English Heritage holds a watching brief on the property.

Room Tip: That secret is going to stay with me.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2016

I absolutely loved the building this hotel was located in, it is old and full of character. The owner was very friendly and helpful, and gave me some pointers about getting around Montevideo. It is very quiet but close to the river and within reasonable distance of some of the other city attractions.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo