“Amazing Value: Decent Food ”
Review of Gusteaus

Gusteaus
Ranked #23 of 87 Restaurants in Ollantaytambo
Price range: USD 3 - USD 10
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

My family and I have spent 4 days in Ollantaytambo, using it as a sort of base camp for various hiking/ruin exploration in the surrounding area. Something we learned quickly is that almost every restaurant in Ollantaytambo has the exact same menu with (pretty much) the exact same prices. They may be mixed around, but the end result is the same number of offerings with the same amount of variety. The only unknown factors are; How good is your chef? And How good are the specials?

This place had great specials (especially for large groups coming back from Machu Picchu or the Ollantaytambo ruins, and had an above average chef. Our server seemed to be the eldest son (about 7) of the couple that owned the restaurant and while he was not very efficient, he was very friendly and guided us through (in Spanish) the different specials and what was good/not good.

All told, my family of 4 had enough food for about 8 people without realizing and the bill came out to about 92 sols. (A little under $30 USD).

My only word of warning is for anyone using a CREDIT CARD. Businesses in the area (this one included) will push trough your charge in USD if you don’t specify. You will incur a 3.5% additional charge and a terrible conversion rate. If you pay with a card, make sure to pay in Soles.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 2 July 2018

Not a very good meal and mediocre service. I had the trigo soup -- wheat, rice and meat -- that was tasty and OK. The Lomo Saltado, the staple of almost every Peruvian restaurant, was already lukewarm when served, while the rice was cold. There were more onions and peppers than there was meat. The lemonade that I ordered at the beginning was served after my meal, almost like a dessert. I and another couple were the only customers at that time. Not that good.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 15 March 2018

Popped in for a nice dinner and a beer and couldn't have been happier. The owners and staff were great! Had a wonderful time and the food was excellent.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We popped in for at late dinner (9:30pm) and felt a little guilty because I think the chef and his wife and baby were hoping to go home! This did not affect the service, which was friendly and efficient.

We ordered 2 chilcano cocktails, a saltado de pollo and a mildly spiced chicken stew (ajo de gallano?) The food was freshly cooked for us and absolutely delicious. It came quite quickly and the portion sizes were very good too. The chilcanos were the best we've had in Perú.

I would certainly recommend. The bill was approx 70 soles and we thought it was excellent value, particularly in comparison to other places in Ollanta.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

This is a nice place for dinner but also for just a snack. I had the best guacamole ever. The entrance is right beside the central square and you need to go upstairs but you can look over the square when you take a table near the window.

Date of visit: November 2017