“Disappointed for a restaurant in the top 50”
Review of Astrid & Gaston

Astrid & Gaston
Ranked #72 of 3,237 Restaurants in Lima
Price range: USD 25 - USD 100
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Isidro
Description: Peruvian restaurant where creativity, quality, integration and commitment converge. Tasting menu is only served from 13:00 to 14:30 and from 19:00 to 22:30
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had high expectations about this restaurant (recommended by a friend + rated as one of the best 50 in the world).
The first impression was great. It’s a beautiful place, you can see the kitchen from (some) tables.

Then we didn’t receive the menus for a good 10 min I think (only the wine menu - which was complicated to select since we didn’t know what we’ll eat).

We ordered a glass of red and white wine. My husband then asked for the cocktail menu and the server assumed that it was only for my husband so I never got a chance to order one for me (and my husband never received be red wine he ordered).

We then asked for the tasting menu (that wasn’t given to us with the main menu). They actually recommended us not taking the tasting menu which I found very strange.

So we ordered 2 starters and 2 meals to share (classic ceviche, tacos, scallops with rice and a good piece of meat).
The ceviche was very good, I didn’t like the scallops (which I usually do), the tacos were ok and the meat tasty but very classic and served with a useless side.

Overall it was ok, and if it wasn’t a top 50 restaurant it would probably have been ok but I really expected something better (especially for the price)

Date of visit: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (4,898)

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Internationally well known & popular so please reserve & be on time. They have wifi, the menu is exotic - local produce used but extensive enough for all tastes. The ceviche trio is to die for. Not cheap but worth it for travel happiness or special ocassion. The place has fame for a reason. The decoration is chic, hip & modern tastefully. The service is good, the reception a bit New York snobby style.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We were in Lima for one day off a cruise ship and we wanted to have a fantastic meal. Our experience at Astrid & Gaston did not disappoint.

The only problem we ran into was with our reservation. We had numerous emails back and forth about our reservation. But when I called up a week before with a question, I was told I didn't have a reservation. It's a good thing I called because the woman I spoke with (who happened to also be the person who had been emailing with me) apologized profusely and said she would double check that our reservation was entered properly this time.

But from the moment we arrived at the restaurant, everything was wonderful. The service was excellent, the atmosphere lovely, and the food--well, it was amazing.

Both my husband and I had the tasting menu. It was so much food! We really should have split one as there definitely would have been enough. In fact, my husband had to sit out a few courses in the courtyard as he just couldn't eat another drop.

When the huge treasure chest of chocolates showed up at our table at the end of the meal, we both groaned. But they told us to pick out as many as we wished and they would box them up so we could take them with us. Boy, did we enjoy those over the next few days.

I also want to say that although the tasting menu is not cheap, it is a bargain compared to similar menus at other top-notch restaurants.

We really loved it.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Gaston is an amazing, innovating and authentic chef. His Peruvian classics are made with his own twist and lovely presentation. I have been to this restaurant four or five times and have also tried his now closed restaurant in Quito and New York. I loved them all, but somehow this is my favorite. Try the pork. It's amazing.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I went there with my husband and two friends. Since the minute we arrived at this venue we knew it was going to be special. The venue is an old colonial hacienda called Casa Moreira which has been renovated and it’s just stunning. The service was impeccable, the waiter spoke English which was good for my husband, he recommended some dishes and we went for the A la Carte selection.
We ordered cocktails which where I think to my husband and I the best that we have had in years! beautifully presented and tasty.
Food was spectacular! sooo good! presentation was also another level! We loved it! Desserts were amazing too - Try the Suspiro and the Chocolate mouse from different regions of Peru....yum!! Also go for a walk around, the place is fantastic, the bathroom is so funky too!

Date of visit: April 2018