“Romantic restaurant”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Isidro
Description: Peruvian restaurant where creativity, quality, integration and commitment converge. Tasting menu is only served from 13:00 to 14:30 and from 19:00 to 22:30
Reviewed 12 June 2016

This restaurant is not only romantic but it also offers one of the best dining experiences in the region.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,724)

Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

Day one innLima and I was lucky enough to get reservations to Astrid Y Gaston! Eating at AyG is like tasting all of Peru in 3 hours. The house the restaurant was located in is a 300 yr old colonial house that has been beautifully refurbished. The food was amazing we did the menu A tasting menu which was about 15 mini courses and it was devine! The menu included Cuy (guinea pig) prepared 3 ways, suckling pig, uni (sea urchin), and many more delicacies. If you are ever in Lima this is a must! Make sure to get reservations! I was able to email them about 1 week before we left. This rates as one of my top 3 meals ever! P.s. Had my first Pisco Sour here... Watch out they make them strong!

Reviewed 11 June 2016

I am a native Spanish-speaker, made a reservation 3 months in advance, was welcomed - which is a misnomer - by a rude hostess, seated in Siberia, a room with no other dinners while an adjacent room was clearly abuzz with guests. After requesting and being seated in the room with everyone else, our waiter was polite and prompt but immediately insisted that there was a far better dish than what I'd ordered, which was the top-priced item on the menu. My mistake for agreeing with his recommendation and failing to ask what the price was. When the bill was presented to us it included the bread which was brought to the table without having been requested - and it was not free. And the dish he "recommended" to me was upsold by 73%. Again, this is 73% more than the most expensive item on the menu. The space is beautiful; the service from the sommelier and busing staff is attentive, we even met Gaston himself. But none of that lessens the very bad taste left in my mouth of a dish that a) I could not finish because it was so large; b) was so expensive that any professional waiter would have advised the diner of the price; c) the clear undercurrent that my husband and I were being taken advantage of because we were not locals. After all, all of the exchanges described herein with the staff, and especially the waiter, took place in Spanish. Imagine if you were trying to negotiate this in English.

3  Thank DSC2014
Reviewed 11 June 2016

I was traveling with a Tauck group of about forty people, yet the service was as personal and prompt as if there were four of us. The menu had something for the adventurous (squid) and not so adventurous (pork and beef). And everything was prepared perfectly.

1  Thank HMKanthem
Reviewed 9 June 2016

I made a reservation here several months in advance, requesting a table for 5 to do the tasting menu (the website only listed four as a possibility). It was a little less exclusive than I thought it would be, but the food was wonderful, taking us through 10 or 12 (hard to remember alongside the wine tasting) courses in a very nice setting. The courses came out a little fast, but the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and spoke very good English. I've said it in other reviews, but when it comes to fine dining, you get what you pay for, and our splurge here was no exception.