“Complete disaster”
Review of Malabar

Malabar
Ranked #204 of 3,558 Restaurants in Lima
Price range: USD 25 - USD 100
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Isidro
Reviewed 17 May 2020

I've been to Lima many times and I had the opportunity of exploring the food scene quite a bit over the years and I have to say, i've never been disappointed until now but Malabar is an epic failure on so many levels.

I was there with friends a few months ago and I honestly i can't recall experiencing this level of service incompetence at a highly rated restaurant ever. No the restaurant wasn't particularly crowded being at most at half capacity but everything took forever. 45min for Pisco Sours, 90min for appetizers and so on. There was never any explanation provided for why things were taking so long, the barman barely seemed busy yet everything took forever.

When the food finally came, it wasn't great. Lacking flavours, bland presentation, etc.

This restaurant really has no places being on the various lists its on and unless there's some dramatic changes should be outright avoided. I would absolutely never go back.

3  Thank n8fire
Write a reviewReviews (830)

Reviewed 7 March 2020 via mobile

Excellent service, beautiful combination of flavors and great wine tasting! Absolutely recommended, lovely and memorable experience. We had the five course menu, totally recommended. The duck was from another planet, tasteful and incredible sauce combination.

Date of visit: March 2020
Reviewed 27 February 2020

I was really surprised to read so many negative reviews about malabar and I feel compelled to write one after a very good experience there. I loved the atmosphere and service, I thought dishes were really tasty and interesting, you can tell there's hard work and research behind every one of them. I'll go again and definitely recommend it to those interested in fine dining in Lima.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 15 January 2020

We were seated promptly for our 7pm reservation. The staff made sure to confirm dietary restrictions and allergies. The food was excellent, with a variety of interesting options, and the service was great!

Reviewed 5 January 2020

I too had booked New Year's Eve @ Malabar, and I too paid my deposit in advance, showed up just before 9 and experienced the same "sh*t show" described below. Truly there are no words to describe the experience. Bar filled with people from around the world waiting for their 9 PM reservation while we watched people on their second course from the 7 PM seating. Unclear when or how any of us would be seated. Absolutely NO explanation, apology, communication from anyone working at the restaurant except for one undistinguished cocktail. (and certainly no snacks..my husband went next door to buy corn nuts at Tambo)
Unlike the other diners posting here, however, we left at 945. Tried to find a snack at a hotel bar and then made our way back to our hotel 6 miles away where fortunately they found us a table so we did eat a lovely New Years Eve meal with champagne, just not at Malabar. I cannot understand how this restaurant is on a top anything list, let alone is in business.
I would not eat here again for free but I do hope that they refund my deposit since i had nothing to eat.