Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Jill Springer

Peruvian vacation

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Sept 2021
The hotel is amazing! Customer service is exceptional. They really try hard to make your stay special. They even brought me a birthday cake! Very proud of Marriott for preserving the history of the hotel. We took a fantastic tour of the hotel which used to be a convent, ironically our tour was with Jesus. He did a fantastic job with the tour and showing us hidden treasures. Breakfast buffet was amazing with an omelette, waffle and pancake station with Peruvian specialties and fresh fruits. The courtyard is magical. Highly recommend!!
0.3 km from Jw Marriott El Convento Cusco
0.8 km from Jw Marriott El Convento Cusco
0.8 km from Jw Marriott El Convento Cusco
View more hotels in Cusco
4,352 results
All reviews resort fee machu picchu baby alpaca steam room extra oxygen breakfast buffet pisco sours beautiful property ceviche altitude sickness coca tea high altitude the location is perfect the entire staff the main square sacred valley two blocks
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 September 2021 via mobile

This hotel was pointed out to me by one of my tour guides as Cusco's newest 5-star hotel developed from a colonial convent. I please to hear that as we were to stay there two nights when we got back from Machu Picchu.
When we arrived at the hotel after a long train ride but hyped from having been to Machu Picchu, we were greeted in a cold and drafty reception area by very loud and not at all pleasant singing that was going on in the bar. Along with the glass partion, two face masks and a tentative command of English together made the receptionist all but unintelligible. When we arrived to our third floor room we could hear the thump thump thump from bar. This did not bode well.
The receptionist informed us that we had been upgraded to the best room in the hotel and so i will judge it accordingly. The room was small and crammed with furniture. It had a nice balcony that faced the inner courtyard but it was partioned off by a lattice and some vine from the other very same balconies on either side.
The amenities were nothing special. The robes were stiff and scratchy and the slippers were small and threadbare. The coffee maker was one of those environmentally toxic pod machines that was flashing a blue light that might be indicating it was being held hostage and the light was so bright that it could a beacon to exoplanets in the next galaxy so I had to unplug it. Why it was situated in the closet area is a mystery. And speaking of lighting, the room was dark. Only the bed wall had any lights so we couldn't see our luggage on the opposite wall where the luggage stands were without casting a dark shadow on them.
Like everything else, the bathroom was small. There was hardly any counter space and what little it had was cluttered with wooden boxes filled with typical hotel toiletries- again, nothing special. I am 6' and 186# and the glass shower stall was claustrophobic. The water pressure was only acceptable. The hair dryer was heafty and powerful but, and this is not a complaint specific to this place, why do hotels insist on doing macrame with the hairdryer cord?? The toilet was so tall that I had to sit with my feet toes down to avoid an embolism in my legs. The safe was in the closet floor and l so low that I had to kneel down to set up the code only to have it not work.
The Bed! I know the hotel was once a convent but I don't think they needed to bring monastic mortification of the flesh to their guests. It was like sleeping on an oak board wrapped in a thin layer of batting. The pillows were so formless that by the time I was awakened at 2 AM with pressure point pain it had deflated to an eighth of its bedtime height. Even my partner who likes a firm bed though that this was too much.

The included breakfast buffet had a lot of variety and was very good. The people working in the hotel were competent and provided acceptable service but not 5-star service.

I don't know how hotel stars are awarded but I can only assume that the people granting them are fond of presents. Even if this were the JW Marriott's best room, which I'm doubtful of, in a five star hotel ALL the rooms should meet the 5 star level not just some.

Room tip: For the price, stay elsewhere
1  Thank T315ZYmichaell
Fernando Ferndandez, Guest Services / Front Office at Jw Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2021

Dear T315ZYmichaell,

First of all let me thank you for taking your time to share your comments with us, as they help us in reaching the perfection in the service and product we deliver to our most important guests like you.

Please receive my deepest apologies in regards all the inconveniences you had to go through during your last stay in our property. Let me assure you that all the corrective measures were taken in place in order to avoid the recurrence of these situations in the future.

I wish you could give us the opportunity to reverse this experience and have you once again as a guest in the not too distance future, and offer you the special combination of Cusco hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers and prove you that your comments were taken into consideration.

Kind regards,

Melisa Cornejo Irivarren
Guest Service Supervisor
JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
melisa.cornejo@marriott.com
0051-84-582200

Reviewed 12 September 2021

JUST WOW!

I cannot explain to you how absolutely phenomenal the staff is at this hotel. Every hotel should model their customer service training after this location. Everyone went SO FAR out of their way to make sure our time was exceptional, and there was not a person here who didn’t know our name. We felt more like family than guests of the hotel.

My husband and I travel quite often, and he travels extensively for work. We have never been so impressed by the hospitality and accommodations of any other location we have visited.

The hotel itself is gorgeous. Built in and around an ancient monastery, atop Incan ruins. The brilliant history is threaded throughout the location in one of the most elegant marriages of historical and modern architectural designs I’ve ever seen. I appreciate how much respect was given to preserving the location and it’s rich story.

Georgio was the first to greet us and he was exceptional! We checked in and he went out of his way to ensure every need was met. Upon arrival to our room he promptly called to confirm everything was satisfactory and, as part of our elite status, offered immediate laundry service, departing private transportation, and complimentary wine and chocolates. He bent over backwards to ensure a quick turn around for the laundry, among other scheduled amenities, based on our need. He did so much to ensure our stay was five stars, and his dedication to exceptional customer service cannot be understated. Upon our departure we were surprised by a gift from Georgio, a small alpaca for our baby girl, something I will cherish and remember always.

Maria and Jesus were also phenomenal! Jesus took extra time to give us a private guided tour of the hotel as our travel arrangements did not accommodate the standard times. The tour was phenomenal and provided a rich history of the hotel from the 1500s to present day! Jesus also cared for our baggage upon arrival and was always gracious with his service! Maria took the time to schedule additional time for us in the relaxation area, as our travel was delayed and we were unable to make it to our scheduled massage. She was courteous and professional and the opportunity to relax after a long day of travel meant the world to us.

At the spa, Fabiola stayed an hour after closing to ensure we could take advantage of the accommodations. She was pleasant and professional and made sure our experience was exceptional!

At the restaurant, our waiter Bruno provided recommendations for each of our drink and food orders, which were phenomenal. He was prompt, polite, and knowledgeable. We talked, laughed, and so enjoyed our time! The food was spectacular and I would be remiss without sending our deepest compliments to the chef.

Edgar and Ruth were always happy, polite, and professional when ensuring our dining experience and seating accommodations were superior. Daysi was also a phenomenal waitress for breakfast, and provided excellent recommendations for nearby locations to visit in the city.

We mistakenly missed our appointment for a cooking class. Jesus the chef insisted he stay to provide a private lesson in the courtyard. I was beside myself with appreciation. During this time we made ceviche (which was amazing) and learned so much about the Peruvian culture and farming industry!

Although we did not interact directly, I would like to include compliments to the cleaning staff. Everything was immaculate and I cannot overstate how grateful I am for their attention to detailed cleanliness. Additionally, the bellmen and attendants in the lobby, including Melisa and her staff were always pleasant and made sure to acknowledge us every time!

Our final compliments to Carmen Jara for personally welcoming us with a handwritten note and gift, and to Fernando Fernandez for clearly prioritizing exceptional customer service.

To reiterate, the best hotel we have ever visited. Thank you to the staff for making this experience five stars!

*tripadvisor will not allow me to upload photos (too big? What’s up TA?). Take my word for it, everything was picture perfect!

Reviewed 7 September 2021 via mobile

We just completed two stays at the JW Marriott El Convento in August 2021. Everyone was so nice and the service/hospitality far exceeded all our expectations. I am sure they see hundreds of guests and for everyone to remember our names was such a surprise. Everyone we saw there was so helpful and friendly (in Peru and especially at the hotel).
The hotel is in a very central location (although pick up and drop off can be a bit challenging since the street is busy). The hotel and rooms were wonderful.

We would especially like to thank Jesus and Solange at the front desk for taking care of us (COVID tests, late checkout, airport transfers, very easy check in and checkout, and more). The front desk team was so nice and accommodating.
We also want to thank Gustavo and Danitza and the rest of the team at Qespi for taking care of us at breakfast, and remembering we like muña tea and ketchup. :) The chefs at breakfast, lunch, and dinner were always able to accommodate food allergies and the food was great!
The housekeeping team had the rooms super clean. We also appreciated the wagon of bottled water and chocolates they brought by in the evening. That definitely helped us stay hydrated before and during our excursions (and chocolate is always welcome!).
We also appreciate all the COVID protocols at the hotel (temperature checks, masks, hand sanitizer), we felt very safe there.
We would love to visit Peru again someday and look forward to staying at the JW Marriott El Convento.

Room tip: Recommend rooms facing the courtyard
Reviewed 20 August 2021

We have stayed at JW Marriot for 3 nights, the place is safe, the take care of covid rules, the people is always ready to help, the rooms are very nice, the Hotel is placed on ancient colonial building that has been rostoured and now is one of the nicest hotels in Cusco !.

Hightly recomended.

Room tip: Ask for a room indoors if you want to sleep good.
Date of stay: August 2021
Reviewed 18 August 2021

The JW is ideally located in the heart of Cusco, so we had a lot of fun exploring the city having a base close by!

The staff was super helpful - when the air conditioning was malfunctioning in our room, they immediately moved us to another one. They also arranged our transfer to the airport with a stop at Sacsayhuaman - our driver was so sweet.

The restaurant has absolutely AMAZING food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their buffet spread is seriously impressive and, with my dad being vegetarian, the chef even washed the pan before making his omelet! Their chicken wings are absolutely to die for, as is their fried rice and lomo saltado. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

There were also lovely ladies with a little alpaca everyday at breakfast! They were SO friendly and sweet, and the little alpaca was a total cutie.

The only negative is that there is poor ventilation in the bathroom - when someone is using it, you can definitely smell it in the main room, which can be embarrassing. Also, do NOT turn on the sink if someone is in the shower. My mom nearly burned me alive lol.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying here to any friends/family traveling to Peru. Hope to visit again soon!

Room tip: Don't go for the Inca room if you are claustrophobic
Date of stay: June 2021