“Honest review of Laguna Humantay”
Review of Humantay Lake

Humantay Lake
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 55.00*
and up
Full-Day Trek to Humantay Lake from Cusco with...
Ranked #14 of 179 things to do in Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Humantay lake altitude is 4200 m.a.s.l and this make an unique weather and temperatura in this area. The Humantay lake Temperatura can arrive to 5º C during the day and at nIght drop down to 0º C.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The getting there: Like most trips, the getting there is half the fun. However, waking up @ 4 AM to catch a bus is never fun. That said, if the weather is good, then don't snooze for too long as about an hour after you get on the bus and the sun rises, you are going to see some spectacular scenery (check out the pics below), there are gonna be some hairpin routes for the first half of the journey., After breakfast as you drive into the valley, the last strech of the road not only offers equally awesome views but some scary road conditions as well, I would say not that far off from Yungas highway in Bolivia, our driver was very careful and drove with caution.

The hike up: Once you get to the base, it's a 60-90 min hike up. However since the elevation is 42xx meters, it can feel a lot longer than that. The hike is easy, however, it's very soggy at the bottom half of the hike and lots of mud and animal droppings. There are many horse/handlers for hire and take you 4/5th of the way up for about 50-60 soles, might be worth it if the altitude is a problem for you.

The lake: I'll let the pics speak for itself. Not much more can I say here other than enjoy the view because you survive the climb. However please do not go into the lake and swim, you will be yelled by ALL the local guides in the area. Don't be like those infamous hippies getting naked at Machu Picchu which resulted in tons of rules and giving general visitors a bad rep. Other than that, it is a really beautiful lake with glaciers at the top!

3  Thank NeoChaser
"rainbow mountain"
in 9 reviews
"steep trek"
in 2 reviews
"plenty of photo opportunities"
"stopped for breakfast"
"small group"
"salkantay trail"
"tour operator"

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We did a day-tour with Willka Travel to the lake. The hike takes about 1.5 hours and is steep but with some breaks very doable. Our guide Edwin Puma did a great job taking care of us and explaining about the sacred lake. He also had excellent English. Also our driver Raul was a very good and safe driver! We would definitly recommend the trip to the lake and the tour operator.

1  Thank Elli P
Reviewed 31 March 2018

El Trekking es corto, pero pesado por la altura. Lleven traj de baño, toalla, ropa caliente, agua y comida si quieren estar un par de horas arriba en la laguna. Vale la pena por mucho!
Se puede hacer solo, no necesitas Tour. Yo no hice Salkantay, sólo Humantay.

It's a short Trekking but it's really hard because of the altitude. If you want to stay at the lagoon for a couple of hours (which I recommend) take with you a swimsuit, warm clothes, food and water! You can make this trekking by your own, I didn't go to Salkantay, just Humantay!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

It is a wonderful lagoon because of the nature that it presents and because of the beautiful color of its waters. If you arrive in Cusco, arrive at this place

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't crowded as the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain! But there were definitely more people than I thought there were gonna be. Still, I don't want to be too picky regarding this point, my partner f.e. didn't bother at all about that; I guess it was just my personal opinion. The lake itself was a beauty and is definitely worth the hiking effort, which was around 1.45h for us. My partner had some problems with the altitude (headaches) but fortunately it wasn't too bad. Our guide was very helpful and offered oxygen and we made a short rest where he told us stories so my partner could think of something else than her headache which was very kind of him. The breakfast & lunch we had included in the tour was good and overall the communication with the agency exploorperu as well, everything we were promised was delivered and party even overdelivered. We seemed to have a bad weather streak in Cusco for our entire time (March 2018) as it was raining quite a lot, but the hiking was still very doable under these circumstances.