“Technical Marval”

Casa Museo Mario Vargas Llosa
Ranked #28 of 101 things to do in Arequipa
Reviewed 24 September 2017

We live in Arequipa and most Saturdays we are looking for interesting cultural attractions. Although I had never read any of Mario Varas LLosa's works, I knew he was a famous writer. We were impressed with their technical presentation using holograms and movies to tell the story of his life. However you should be made aware that there is no accommodation for languages other than Spanish and the presentation goes so fast that there is little time to interpret for those less fluent. It was difficult to follow for my wife. There is also is a couple of clips from his movies that show nudity during the presentation. If you are sensitive to that and you are not fluent in Spanish, my recommendation would be to stay away. Otherwise, It is an interesting two hours about an interesting man.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

To be honest, I had never heard of the author, although I must have heard the name when he won the Nobel prize in Literature. A surprising multimedia presentation through several rooms describing various aspects of his life. Really almost a tour of the 20th century since he was present at many of the historic and literary highlights of the time. We did just drop in, which I guess isn't recommended, but we had the guide to ourselves since we were the only ones there. You may want to wear a sweater or something because the a/c was really cranked up. Overall, a very enlightening and informational tour, I am now much better acquainted with Senor Vargas Llosa!

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Perhaps the best thing we did in Arequipa. The museum exceeded all our expectations with it's set-up and the use of technology to take us into the mind and life of a great writer. It's inspirational to see how much one man has accomplished. The guided tour was handled with such care. An under-rated gem recommended for all in Arequipa.

Reviewed 10 February 2017

I love Vargas Llosa so I really wanted to visit the museum, nevertheless, when I got there and they told me the visit lasts more than 2h, I must say I panicked a little... After a very boring video about how they built the museum (really, they should keep it to investors, what do we care?) we finally go into the house and then it is a full and very pleasant surprise! With holograms, recreations of places and books it becomes very interesting to really meet the writer and the man behind it. Not boring at all and one of the best cultural attractions in Arequipa.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

Going to a house-museum may not sound like the most exciting thing to visit at first hand... However, this is an exceptional and super entertaining museum where there is no time to get bored! Through original decoration, manuscripts and realistic set ups this museum takes you into his great literature and interesting life. After three days in Arequipa, this was the highlight of the stay. (Only in Spanish though, but great for children too)