“Fabulous Museum - Great Insight into a Great Mind”

Casa Museo Mario Vargas Llosa
Ranked #26 of 69 things to do in Arequipa
Reviewed 18 June 2017

Perhaps the best thing we did in Arequipa. The museum exceeded all our expectations with it's set-up and the use of technology to take us into the mind and life of a great writer. It's inspirational to see how much one man has accomplished. The guided tour was handled with such care. An under-rated gem recommended for all in Arequipa.

All reviews
"peru"
"guide"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 10 February 2017

I love Vargas Llosa so I really wanted to visit the museum, nevertheless, when I got there and they told me the visit lasts more than 2h, I must say I panicked a little... After a very boring video about how they built the museum (really, they should keep it to investors, what do we care?) we finally go into the house and then it is a full and very pleasant surprise! With holograms, recreations of places and books it becomes very interesting to really meet the writer and the man behind it. Not boring at all and one of the best cultural attractions in Arequipa.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

Going to a house-museum may not sound like the most exciting thing to visit at first hand... However, this is an exceptional and super entertaining museum where there is no time to get bored! Through original decoration, manuscripts and realistic set ups this museum takes you into his great literature and interesting life. After three days in Arequipa, this was the highlight of the stay. (Only in Spanish though, but great for children too)

Reviewed 14 December 2016 via mobile

Visiting Museo Mario Vargas Llosa was a very good idea. The visit was guided very good and gave us a lot information about the writer. I recommend it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

The Mario Vargas Llosa surprised and impressed me at evey turn. Set in his birth home, the museum is well organized and modern, with holograms and videos that are strangely rendered but never-the-less endearing, rooms representing geographic locations the author lived in, and some artifacts of Llosa's. There is not much to photograph, but the museum's narrative on Llosa's life is highly visual and entertaining. Compared to other museums I've been to in Peru, this one is completely twenty-first century made. The tour was in Spanish only, and lasts two hours, which pass by quickly. I thought I would need more background info on Llosa before going, but the museum lays out his impressive life better than any introductory reading could achieve. I would not miss this museum if in Arequipa, especially if you have any interest in the Boom, or the literary currents of the second half of the twentieth century.