Casa Museo Mario Vargas Llosa

from USD 183.00
from USD 47.00
from USD 222.99
More Info
All reviews his life author literature hologram century guiding museum artifacts peru guide
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I hadn't expected this museum to be so fantastic. You will be led through the house (which is pretty big) by two guides who explain some things and let you watch the holograms and videos telling the story of Mario Vargas Llosa's life from his birth in Arequipa to his Nobel Prize in 2010. The author donated photos, early writings and other memorabilia and appears several times as a hologram which makes the whole experience very authentic. However, you need to speak at least intermediate Spanish as the tour is not available in English.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Far away 6 blocs from Plaza de Armas just a donación of Vargas Llosa who was born in Arequipa, Books of his private collectio. Of little interest

1  Thank perezavila1
Reviewed 17 February 2018

This is the most immersive museum experience I have had. From the hologram at the beginning, through every room with films and artifacts, this was a really thorough and entertaining trip! We were the only two in the museum at about 1:30 pm and so had every room to ourselves. The guide was very nice and took time to let us take pictures before guiding us to the next room. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

A vivid and entertaining evocation of the life and work of Mario Vargas Llosa with holograms, videos, furnishing and and memorabilia to illustrate the life and work of this son of Arequipa.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We live in Arequipa and most Saturdays we are looking for interesting cultural attractions. Although I had never read any of Mario Varas LLosa's works, I knew he was a famous writer. We were impressed with their technical presentation using holograms and movies to tell the story of his life. However you should be made aware that there is no accommodation for languages other than Spanish and the presentation goes so fast that there is little time to interpret for those less fluent. It was difficult to follow for my wife. There is also is a couple of clips from his movies that show nudity during the presentation. If you are sensitive to that and you are not fluent in Spanish, my recommendation would be to stay away. Otherwise, It is an interesting two hours about an interesting man.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

To be honest, I had never heard of the author, although I must have heard the name when he won the Nobel prize in Literature. A surprising multimedia presentation through several rooms describing various aspects of his life. Really almost a tour of the 20th century since he was present at many of the historic and literary highlights of the time. We did just drop in, which I guess isn't recommended, but we had the guide to ourselves since we were the only ones there. You may want to wear a sweater or something because the a/c was really cranked up. Overall, a very enlightening and informational tour, I am now much better acquainted with Senor Vargas Llosa!

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Perhaps the best thing we did in Arequipa. The museum exceeded all our expectations with it's set-up and the use of technology to take us into the mind and life of a great writer. It's inspirational to see how much one man has accomplished. The guided tour was handled with such care. An under-rated gem recommended for all in Arequipa.

Reviewed 10 February 2017

I love Vargas Llosa so I really wanted to visit the museum, nevertheless, when I got there and they told me the visit lasts more than 2h, I must say I panicked a little... After a very boring video about how they built the museum (really, they should keep it to investors, what do we care?) we finally go into the house and then it is a full and very pleasant surprise! With holograms, recreations of places and books it becomes very interesting to really meet the writer and the man behind it. Not boring at all and one of the best cultural attractions in Arequipa.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

Going to a house-museum may not sound like the most exciting thing to visit at first hand... However, this is an exceptional and super entertaining museum where there is no time to get bored! Through original decoration, manuscripts and realistic set ups this museum takes you into his great literature and interesting life. After three days in Arequipa, this was the highlight of the stay. (Only in Spanish though, but great for children too)

Reviewed 14 December 2016 via mobile

Visiting Museo Mario Vargas Llosa was a very good idea. The visit was guided very good and gave us a lot information about the writer. I recommend it.