“Good Pulled Pork Sliders”

Mayu Smokehouse & Bakery
Ranked #51 of 569 Restaurants in Cuenca
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Somewhat catering to gringos based on menu and soundtrack (early 70s rock), however most patrons were cuencans. Pork was well smoked and had a bit of fresh slaw on each. Heard from friends who live here that most dishes are fairly good. 3 sliders, fries, and a beer was $10.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

We've walked past this place almost daily for over a week and so we decided to finally try it for lunch.

Seating was available inside and out with the large front doors opening into the restaurant. It was a great way to open up the restaurant but on this rainy, dreary day it was a touch too cool inside.

The menu was extensive and offered a mix of American-style food with a Latin-American flare. I ordered the Cuban mixto sandwich while my wife got the Hamburger Especiale. My Cuban had 3 different kinds of meat in it and it was a tasty take on the famous sandwich. My wife enjoyed her burger. Both meals were fresh and hearty arriving with piping hot curly fries and small salads.

The place had bar stools along with booths and tables plus a number of TVs on the walls. I suspect it fills up quickly during sporting events.

Reviewed 1 January 2017

I had been told that the steaks were excellent here, When I arrived, a man who wasn't my waiter took my order for a glass of red wine. From the time I received my drink until my waiter came to take my order, it was about 15 minutes. After my order, it took over 30 minutes for the food to come. I ordered the rib eye steak. When the food came the steak was tasty but it was difficult to cut and to chew and not done to medium rare but well done. The vegetables and the salad were very good. I would have ordered another glass of wine while waiting and dining but the waiter never came back to check. He kept checking on a table of 2 women 2 booths down often. When I went to pay at the bar, was asked how everything was. Told the gentleman that it was possibly one of the worst steaks I'd ever eaten. I told him that the steak appeared to be a rib steak, He got into a discussion with me about hard steaks and soft steaks. He said that if I wanted a soft steak, the price would have been twice as much. I told him that the ribeye comes from the prime rib and not where the rib steak comes from. He gave me 25% off on my bill which would have been nicer had he known what he was talking about when it comes to steaks. I also told him that I felt neglected pretty much the whole time I was there. I pointed out who my waiter was. I had been here before for their hamburgers which are excellent and maybe that's what they should stick with.

Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

We happened upon Mayu drawn in by the Smokehouse part of the name. Have been there twice during our four days in Cuenca. Today's lunch tells the tale. Sat outside overlooking a river and walkway. Pleasant view in the center of the city. Service was prompt and friendly. My glass of
Chardonnay was generous and ice cold. Husband's draft lager glass was only about two thirds full. Waiter was apologetic about needing to tap a new keg, then returned with another glass two thirds full.
The big hit, though, was the BBQ chicken pizza. I believe it was the best thing I've eaten after 3.5 weeks in the country. Smoky chicken, caramelized onions, bacon bits and four cheese atop a rectangle of freshly made focaccia with plenty of tangy sauce. Yum! We both ordered the small pizza but could have shared one. Well, maybe not. Too good.

Reviewed 10 December 2016

Have been in this restaurant a few times. Had their hummus plate with the side order of chicken, had their hamburger. Liked both a lot :) They have a nice little terrace, overlooking the river, located right on the river walk. One of my favorite places in Cuenca