All reviews brownie rabbit living room cozy fireplace wood fire small hotel quiet street old town like coming home yogurt main building single room plaza foch comfortable bed mariscal area spent nights a wonderful stay
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Imagine the last day of a truly transformative, fun, spiritual, meaningful trip to the Amazon Rainforest, doing last minute shopping, having your "last lunch" in the city of Quito, then reaching down to put something in your backpack that is in-between your chair and a friends only to find it has been switched out and every single thing you bought, all of your credit cards, money, passport, sunglasses, you name it - gone! And your plane is departing in about 8 hours. Add to the stress and pain of that, you don't speak Spanish very well at all and the police don't speak much English. Feeling a bit sick? I was devastated and hysterical. No money, no ID, no gifts to bring home and no idea what to do next.

So what does this have to do with the Hostal de La Rabida? Everything. My stay there was beyond lovely. The rooms were adorable, the staff was very friendly and helpful, it was in a great location, the breakfast food was fine and Brownie the resident rabbit was the icing on the very warm, welcoming cake. But I forgot all about that when I got robbed - except for the part about calling Haritz Uranga O, the Administrator at the hotel - hysterical and barely making any sense. Within minutes, Haritz actually appeared on the 3rd floor of the police station to support me, bring me a copy of my passport from my room and act as translator. It gets better. I literally had 40 minutes to get to the American Embassy before it closed. Next miracle? Not only did the police escort me to the Embassy, Haritz and a dear friend travelling with me accompanied me across the very big, very busy city of Quito. Next miracle? They kept the Embassy open for me past closing time so that I could get a new passport and Haritz waited for me outside to make sure that I was okay and that I returned back to the Hostel de La Rabida safely. He could not have been kinder, more compassionate, more supportive and more helpful if he tried.

So yes- I will return to Quito because the robbery, although painful, did not define my trip - partly because of how much love and kindness I received from Haritz. This Hostal had a great feeling from the moment I arrived there and little did I know how much kindness I would need. Haritz barely left my side until I left the hotel about 2 hours later.

And I also have to add the Haritz called the owner of the Hostal, Guiseppe Marzano, who also came to see me upon my return from the Embassy, to express how sorry he was that this had happened to me and to make sure that I was in good hands. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I have not. Guiseppe was funny and charming and made me laugh so that I forgot about my losses for a bit.

5 stars? I wish I could give them 10! And I shall return and bring friends.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Gina1950
Reviewed 21 November 2017

I can't say enough about this hotel. It's an old colonial house, and has a warm and cozy atmosphere. The staff is exceptional, very friendly and helpful. While the location isn't in old town, it's close enough to take an inexpensive cab ride there. It's also close to the hop on hop off bus stop and to many restaurants and to a large craft market.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank goldingjs
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Almost concealed behind a high wall, it's easy to miss this hotel, on a quiet street in Quito. Several of its rooms surround a grassy inner courtyard, patrolled by Brownie, the resident lopp a red rabbit. This This is an older, charming hotel, with comfortable amenities, and excellent service. The staff could not have been more helpful, with suggestions of where to go and what to do. As a solo woman traveller, it was ideal. They even made up a fire just for me, in the lounge area, to help pass the time as I waited for my midnight flight back home at the end of my visit.

Room tip: The rooms around the courtyard are quiet and peaceful.
Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 20 November 2017

I'm so glad that I found " La Rabida " a welcoming and knowledgeable host, we arrived in the rain and he offered us a hot chocolate before check-in.
William is a lovely host and he made our stay so wonderful , he help you with a map if necessary, booking taxis, recomends restaurants and places to visit

I highy recommend La Rabida...

Room tip: I'll be back soon Choose the back room ... there is brownie the rabbit always with you
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank sigrbrooke
Reviewed 15 November 2017

We stayed at this Hotel after the recommendations we got from my friend who stayed there before. Good location, the food is great, the pressure of the water is very good, there is food service to the room with typical Ecuadorian & international dishes excellent staff & William made our stay in Quito worth remenbering.

Date of stay: October 2017