“Wow!”

Price range: USD 25 - USD 120
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The menu at Casa Gangotena’s restaurant celebrates Ecuadorian cuisine Along our gastronomic road the restaurant has matured it’s culinary proposal; arriving to what we currently offer in our restaurant’s menu. We firmly believe in our cuisine’s inheritance and roots; and in the techniques and knowledge that we have acquired during our evolution We are so proud to offer flavors from the Highlands all the way to the Coast, focusing all our efforts into seasonings, infusions and spice mixes all made in our house. We present traditional Ecuadorian cuisine and we present it, in a refined and elegant way. We dress our dining room with white tablecloths to enhance our culture, we make sure every single detail is taken care of so your dining experience is memorable.. Our main goal is to please the palate of our guests. We invite you to experience life and share with passion the experience of ecuadorian hospitality at Casa Gangotena. We express it with flavors, aromas and textures. "
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

After reading reviews my husband and I found our way here after walking around Quito old town for five hours. It was 14:40 and lunch service ends at 3pm but we had no trouble whatsoever when we asked for a table. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating, the interior was classy and the food was fantastic.

We were presented with a very extensive wine menu although we weren't looking for alcohol and chose the hibiscus and coconut lemonade, which was deliciously refreshing. Rather than go for a traditional 2/3 course lunch we opted to select authentic dishes from the 'tapas' section. Don't be fooled by the term tapas though - when our four choices came we knew we were going to have issues finishing them. I can't remember all of the names but we had the empanadas (but without pork), the trout with corn & plantain, potato locro (soup with avocado/cheese/corn) and cameron (shrimp in a cold spicy soup). As suspected we didn't eat everything but they kindly boxed up 3 of the 6 empanadas for us to take away. We had no space for sweets but what we saw on the adjacent table looked devine.

As other reviewers have said, it is expensive for Quito but the tapas gives a less costly option than the traditional a la carte or tasting menus and was an excellent way of trying some local dishes in exquisite surroundings.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I went with my family for a traditional tea time! The food is amazing! We ate several desserts (including sweet and salty from international and Ecuadorian cuisine). Also, you should try the traditional chocolate hot drink that comes with cheese or "higos"!

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Had a great meal there . Food was well prepared & presented. Service staff were flawless. Best meal in Quito IMHO.

Juan David E, Gerente at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Dear Andrew C

Reviewed 14 February 2018

What a beautiful classic style bar! Me and my girlfriend went here to have coffee, but ended up drinking the Jugo with mandarines in stead, this was delicious!
And even tho this is a luxury hotel, the prices were not that high as we expected.
I would recommend going to this bar.

Dear Sjors P
Im so glad to hear that you like it, it is my favorite too.

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

For the most expensive restaurant in Quito Ecuador one would expect gracious service and a professional attitude if any customer concerns are voiced. We had an excellent meal with good service until we wanted to leave since my wife was not feeling well. We made repeated efforts to get a bill so we could pay and leave. I waived down three waiters and asked for Bills. When no bill was delivered we had to go to the register and pay there. I asked to speak to the manager to point out that if they serve Americans they should be aware that we sometimes ask a bill and we want it in a reasonable amount of time.
His reaction was one of scorn and indifference. I’ve never seen such an inappropriate reaction to a legitimate concern by a customer.
BTW this is the first bad review I have ever written.

1  Thank Mit G
Juan David E, Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Dear Mit G
Thank you very much for your feedback about your experience in our restarant.
Frist of all, please accept my apologies for the inconvinient caused, it is indeed an unnecesary situation for one of our guest to deal with. Im also deeply sorry that we are your first bad review.
By the time our Captain reported this situation, you had already left the Restaurant so neither I nor the Manager on duty could offered you a proper apology.
Truly hope you had a wonderful time in Ecuador and truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.