“Shelter from the rain”

Republica del Cacao - Plaza Foch
Ranked #5 of 44 Dessert in Quito
Price range: USD 3 - USD 9
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Our Store offers República del Cacao famous chocolate bars, hats and different chocolate products made with cacao fino from Ecuador. Also our Entrepreneur corner that support local visionaries. Our Chocolate Cafe offers hot and warm beverages, unique chocolate bonbons and very high quality baked goods.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Came across this museum of chocolate whilst walking through the old town of Quito. We had a browse during the morning then returned in the afternoon as the rain started. We had hot drinks and cakes from the cabinet that looked and tasted exquisite. Mine was a lemon and white chocolate choice whist my husband had what looked like a chocolate mouse cube on a coconut cookie both were delicious. Also good that we got free wifi whilst in there too. The shop is full of chocolate made in various regions of Ecuador with different cocoa percentages and different flavours - not being a chocolate lover, I didn't try any of the dark or milk chocolate but my husband said it was very good. The museum is free if you spend over $5 and was interesting. Certainly worth a drink stop if you're passing. The chocolate is quite expensive so not just for regular snacking, good for gifts though.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Really to expensive. US$28 for 3 chocolate bars, only 100g each one.
US$5 entry to a Museum, and nothing in the show!!!
A new way to pick yo the dollar from the ingenious tourist!!!

Reviewed 3 February 2018

Republica del Cacao is a tourist shop with multiple locations in Quito and throughout Ecuador. The coffee, chocolate, and pastries are all extremely good; but everything is at high tourist prices. The service is very good, though. So, you will get quality and pay for it. Consider stopping here if you want some great Ecuadorian chocolate!

comunicaciondigi2017, Guest Relations Manager at Republica del Cacao - Plaza Foch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed it. Our pastry is artisanaly made by our executive chef, using only our delicious chocolate and each one of our chocolate products is made with only fine cacao.
Hope you come by again!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Make an effort to visit the main store in Quito old city. The hot chocolate will have you coming back every day!

Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

While visiting Ecuador, I was excited to experience it's Cocao. I was pleasently surprised when I discovered Republica del Cacao while exploring Quito after spending time in Baños, Tena, Guayaquil, and the Coast.

They do a great job of educating its guests on all things cacao with photos, write-ups (English & Spanish), and video. Whoever is doing their design/marketing deserves a gold-star. I have yet to find a café, or any business for that matter in Canada or the USA, that does a better job at presenting its products. The ambiance is something that would make any Starbucks blush and want to take notes.

When I spoke with some locals, I asked if this business supported the local agriculture and small farms as advertised, and it sounds like they do (very important).

The only criticism would be the cost. However, I know that Cacao is a growing export of Ecuador and I want to see these farms adequately supported. If the cost is ensuring ethical farming, harvest and workplace conditions, I'm happy to pay premium prices for their products. I only saw other foreigners and business people here on multiple visits and hope that locals are given the chance to experience this local delight.

Overall, this place offers a beautiful way to experience Ecuadorian cocao, while gently educating you in a warm and welcoming environment to benefit this growing local export.

A must stop for cocao/chocolate and café enthusiasts.

Thank you so much for joinning La República del Cacao, it really means a lot to us, that you enjoyed and lived the whole experience behind our chocolates. Its what makes our products authentic.