See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 September 2012

we enjoyed staying at this hostel. the staff is very sweet and the location is great. In addition, the breakfast is good- I had the fruit and yogurt each day. There is hot water and showers in most rooms. Also, there is high speed internet but we had problems connecting MACs to it.

Room Tip: there isn't too much difference between the rooms as far as I could tell- it just depends on how many people you are sleeping. The walls are super thin so if people are coming and going at night you will probably hear them. Try the room to the left from the foyer and at the end if you have 1 or two people sharing a bed- it may be quietest.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This hostel is Incredibly noisy at night and highly over priced. The staff is rude and are not helpful at all. The book shelf is only for readIng in their stagnant uncomfortable waiting room. When I asked to read a book in my room the male worker was short with me and insisted I read the book ( 400ish pages ) in the waiting room. when I asked to possibly do a book swap he also refused. The rooms are extremely small to the degree of barely being able to open the door because it hits the bed. Don't stay at this hostel. There are better places to spend your time and money.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at Otavalo Huasi II (Wilson y Tamayo) for two weeks while taking Spanish classes at Yanapuma. Cristina, Ruben, Jasmine and the rest of the family and staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Our room was big enough to unpack all of our belongings and transform the room into our "home". The breakfast choices were both filling and delicious. The outside courtyard is great for relaxing in the sun and we were able to use the kitchen. Overall, we loved our stay at Otavalo Huasi II and will certainly stay again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GnomeHome416
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We stayed 3 nights at this hostal. It was adequate in terms of the type of beds, rooms etc. They had internet, but charged 90 cents per hour for its use and was very slow. Across the street is an internet store for 70 cents per hour that was fast. The owners are nice people, but did nothing about the noise created by other guests in the hostal. The street noise was typical for Quito, and was only bad in the rooms facing the street. On our third night we moved to an inner room that was much less noisey, but had no toilet seat on the toilet. The worst problem was when the midnight flights arrived and the guests came in, they were all excited to be arriving, and yelled and ran while other were trying to sleep. The staff did nothing, but they groups would be quiet when asked. Overall for the price and the close location to the Plaza Foch in the Mariscal made it convenient.. Breakfast was decent. We did feel safe in the area, and a permanant night security guard was on the street at all times for the hostal across the street. JUST BRING EARPLUGS.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2010

The owners run two hostels one on Juan Leon Mera and another on Wilson y Tamayo both in the Mariscal area of Quito.
I am writing a review of the one on Juan Leon Mera however having seen some of the photos of the new one on Wilson y Tamayo (which is on a quieter street) and knowing the owners I would believe that it is also a very good place to stay. I hope to one day visit and stay there.
I stayed at Otavalo Huasi for two months in 2007 whilst volunteering and then returned again for two weeks in March 2008 whilst I was travelling in South America.
The hostel has lots of rooms, some ensuite, some sharing bathrooms, there are singles, doubles , triples etc. Each room has been decorated individually (by the owners) and all have Andean bedspreads. There is a kitchen that can be used to cook your meals. Breakfast can be included in the price. The hostel is on one of the main roads and there are bars and clubs nearby. This can be an issue at night if you want a quiet sleep but I found ear plugs to solve that…..or just stay out all night at the bars and clubs! There is a supermarket nearby and lots of restaurants too. Buses into the old town can be caught nearby.
The staff who run the hostel (Cristina, Janeth, Atuq, Ruben and now Diego) are incredibly friendly. Within a few days one of them had invited me to her birthday night out and had also taken some of us to her home town Otavalo. I later went to the coast with two of the others. It does help if you speak Spanish they also speak Quechua and I understand they may give you lessons now. They are always cleaning and will try and solve any issues that arise.
There is a TV lounge/dining room with a PC with internet for an extra charge.
The upstairs rooms are via an outside stairwell – a little annoying when raining but not much of a chore.
There is hot water and electric showers, but no heating so buy a few jumpers in the market further down the road.
24 Hour reception too.
I really felt at home here!

They have info on Facebook -