“An Unforgettable Experience”
Review of Hacienda Rumiloma

Hacienda Rumiloma
Ranked #40 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I had read the New York Times feature and booked Hacienda Rumiloma for a few nights on our trip back from the Galapagos Islands. The stay met our expectations in every way. What a beautiful location! It's hard to believe you're still in Quito when you're perched up in the lush volcanic mountains with llamas, horses and peacocks roaming around. The air was fresh and smelled of Eucalyptus which was a world of difference from the polluted downtown Quito.

The hotel arranged to pick us up. Upon arrival, our host/concierge, Ivan took the time to show my husband and I the various beautiful settings where we can enjoy meals or drinks. Our room had amazing views and felt very romantic. We had already spend some time in the city Quito so we didn't do any tours but simply enjoyed walks around the property, sitting by our fire stove, reading on our patio and delicious meals in the restaurant.

I found the staff wonderful and very accommodating. We had a very early flight home so Ivan arranged to have the kitchen prepare fresh juice and coffee for us at 4am and packed our choice of breakfast with us to take to the airport. Because we left in a hurry, I forgot my iPhone in the room which they are now arranging to send to me in New York.

Unlike the experience of Amanda, most of the staff spoke great English. The "no paper in the toilet" rule is true in Quito but we had a covered bin so this was not a problem. Perhaps they made changes after her review.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sara10666

Reviewed 3 February 2012

My husband and I landed in Quito for our second stop in Ecuador. We read a feature in the New York Times recommending the restaurant at Hacienda Rumiloma, and after seeing the website we booked a room. When we got there, we found ourselves in one of the most beautiful rooms we'd ever stayed in. However the experience didn't nearly meet the accommodations. The woman who checked us in hardly spoke English which made things difficult. The wait staff in the kitchen were more helpful. And the longer we stuck around we found the wait staff were running the whole show. Perhaps this is typical in Ecuador but it felt weird to us. We also tried to book an outing to Mitad del Mundo (the Equator) and the woman at the front desk tried to tell us it would be $100 per person. This seemed outrageous. So instead they commissioned a taxi driver to take us around for the day for $8/hour and we just had him take us there. The whole day cost less than $100. And then we never saw this "concierge" again the whole time we were there. One of the wait staff even checked us out.

In addition, there are some warnings about Quito that would've been good to know. First of all, most buildings in Ecuador ask you not to flush your toilet paper (sorry, you just gotta know this). So our bathroom got pretty stinky. Other hotels used a covered trash bin, but not Rumiloma. That would've made a huge difference. On the other hand, Quito is plagued with pollution that can make it quite hard to breathe. I suffered greatly and was pretty happy to be staying at Rumiloma which is set high up in the mountains above the smog.

So there are your plusses and minuses. I still think this was the right choice for us, so now it's up to you.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AmandaPK
HaciendaRumiloma, Owner at Hacienda Rumiloma, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thanks for your review.
I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, but I have only just figured out how to post an owner response. I must admit that I am a bit technologically challenged. ;-)
My name is Amber and I am the owner of Rumiloma. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and that you thought your room was so beautiful. We put a lot of love and energy into building it!
Thanks for the comments about the bathroom rubbish bins. I hadn't realized that there were waste baskets still in a few of the rooms instead of the newer stainless steel ones with flip lids. I have since purchased flip lid ones for all of the bathrooms. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Your anther comment about the tour I want to address as well. There seems to be a bit of confusion about this point with another guest as well.
Our employee tried- obviously unsuccessfully to offer you you a tour which we subcontract from a list of our favorite purveyors. We offer a full-day city Tour with a cost of around $250 for 2 persons. This tour includes an English speaking certified and fully qualified guide for 8 hours, a chauffeur-driven car with respective licenses, permissions, parking fees, and insurance for the entire day, entrances to several local attractions: the middle of the world museums, etc… we would never presume to charge a hundred dollars for a simple taxi ride. there is obviously a big difference in simply being picked up or dropped off somewhere and having a certified, full time car and driver, trained English guide, entrances, etc... and obviously the prices reflect that!
If one wants to do it on their own- From Rumiloma- one can plan to go round-trip to the old town for under $20 in a regular taxi ($8-10 an hour depending) or we also provide local car service for less than $20 the hour- with our private car company- which many of our guests prefer as this gives them more security, and the option to leave packages with the driver and not worry about getting around. I sincerely apologize that you felt you were being taken advantage of or that we were trying to charge something outrageous. We are a very special property and only offer the best, most authentic, safest, and personally approved-by-the-owner services to our valued guests-We do not always look for the cheapest alternative, but rather the best quality experience which we can offer our guests. I stand by what my employee offered you, but apologize that it was misunderstood. These things can happen sometimes with language barriers. I am in the process of printing up room guides with all of this information printed in English so that hopefully I can try to avoid these sorts of misunderstandings in the future!!!
About our staff- We don't have a concierge in Rumiloma. Nor do we have a bellman, a front desk person or a lot of the other Hotel staff you might expect. We are a tiny, family run business and as such, all of our staff are poly-functional. My wait-captain in the restaurant is also the head of room service, the bell hop, etc... My general manager sometimes puts on her chefs uniform and jumps onto the line in the kitchen- as do I and my husband for that matter. My mother-in-law is the head of the kitchen. It may seem odd to people form the outside, but this is the way Rumiloma works. I understand that the level of English of many of my staff may be less than perfect, but we try to put an emphasis on service and community work rather than language skills and for the most part this works for us. I apologize for not having met you myself during your visit, I make every effort to greet our hotels guests when possible, but wasn't able to make it in for the few days you were with us.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to write to us and for helping us to continually improve.
Thanks again for your visit, and here's hoping we see you sometime again South of the Equator,
Amber and the Rumiloma gang

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Our time in rumiloma proved to be one of quito's highlights.
Amasing food, service and stunning views!
The is a special something that lies in rumiloma. I would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Was in Quito for business for a few days and some friends took me to Hacienda Rumiloma for dinner. It's an adventure getting up to Rumiloma as it is way above Quito on the side of the Volcano Pichincha on a steep dirt road but that is part of the fun. We arrived right before dark so were able to see the view both in the daylight and in the dark and it is spectacular. Quito is about 10,000 ft above sea level and Rumilona must be about another 1,500 ft higher as we were above the clouds. The restaurant had a very warm and cozy feel to it. Service was excellent and the food even better. They brought us an amuse bouche and we shared an artichoke appetizer. Everyone loved their main course; mine was the surf and turf which consisted of langostino and filet mignon. We shared dessert which was 3 petite creme brulees with different flavor. This place is so charming and the food so good that I look forward to visiting it again on my trip to Quito.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2012

If you want a quite place, pinned against the mountains with stunning views of Quito stay or at least have dinner at hacienda Rumiloma. We stayed at various hotels in Quito and Rumiloma is way better than any other place. It is close to the airport ( 15 minutes), the telepherico and the old town but you feel you are away from it all. The views are spectacular both during the day and at night. There is a warm and wonderful atmosphere in this rustic but extremely comfortable place which is privately owned and run by the Laree family. The rooms are large and well decorated with antiques picked by the owner, an enthusiastic and great Irish woman, Amber, married to an Ecuadorian mountain climber. Amber and her staff go out of their way to be helpful from nice fire wood places lit in the room, hot water bottles, recommendations about what to do in Quito and beyond to special attentions like bringing oregano tea when they noticed I had stomach issues. We loved that Amber was more than willing to share her knowledge of Ecuadorian history, culture and wildlife with us. Amber and her mother in law treated us to some of the best food in Ecuador for lunch and dinner; breakfast too was delicious with plenty of food from fresh juices and fruit salad to a special tortilla prepared specially for my son.
Rumiloma is perfect whether to relax, as a stop over, as a starting place for exploring Quito or a wonderful dinner experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family