“OK, probably about worth the price”

Hotel Torremayor Lyon
Ranked #75 of 204 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed 9 August 2015

OK hotel. A bit corporate and sterile. Service is good, rooms are clean but a bit out of date. I stayed in two rooms; one was nicer than the other. The water out of the tap in the second room smelled strongly of sulfer. Can't explain that. Lobby was nice; breakfast ok but not quite what I'd expected at the price point, with limited selection (but great choice of fresh fruit). Location is perfect, very close to the Los Leones metro and plenty of nice restaurants and shops. OK corporate hotel, not very atmospheric, price was reasonable. The staff forgot to return my passport, which almost caused a major problem for me.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 April 2015

Nice neighborhood with lots of restaurants, some shopping, metro and many other conveniences nearby. The hotel is quiet, has free Wi-Fi, a pool on the roof and a pleasant lobby. Breakfasts were good. (scrambled eggs in Chile are very runny, and you just have to get over thinking they are not quite cooked if you want to eat them )

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2015

We were in Santiago again, this time in March and stayed at the TorreMayor two different times. Unlike the other otel nearby, this one lacks good mechanical capabilities.
First time there we were on the 15th floor and when we walked in the room was 84 degrees. We quickly turned on the A/C and perspired. Next morning the room was still at 73.
I spoke to the front desk when we checked out and they apologized. The window do not open.

When we returned 6 days later the room temperature was at 86 degrees and the A/C had been turned on three hours earlier at our request.
Window shades were wide open with sun streaming in.
I spoke to the desk, they informed me that the A/C was functioning correctly and I could not change rooms.

I went down and spoke to the front desk and as I was explainig our situation, three other customers approached the desk. All were on their own.
Each agreed with me that the hotel needed to upgrade their system and this situation was very poor. ROOM WAS HOT.

Great location, our room layout was quite nice, nice shower, and good bed. Internet was good. Breakfast was quite average for a quality hotel. Kept part of our luggage when we traveled.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel if temperature outside is over 75 F
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vicbrasil
Reviewed 25 March 2015

After wonderful stays in hotels in Brazil, Argentina, and south Patagonia, we were booked here for our stay in Santiago. I had read the reviews and was excited to stay here. I was shocked at the dismal state and disrepair of our room...dirty spots all over the carpeting, patches on the walls, mold around tub caulking, scratched-up, dingy shelves, and a pervasive dank odor in the room. On the second day, I looked up on the bathroom ceiling and saw it was covered with spots of black mold. I asked to change the room, and was told they would do so while we were on our tour. However, when we returned, the answer was no. They did clean the ceiling, but the musty, gross smell of the room remained. Since we were set to leave the next day, we decided to just live with it. UGH!

Maybe some rooms had been updated and we had an old one? What's this about two hotels with the same name? I'm usually more insistent on getting things taken care of, but I was tired at the end of the trip and just didn't want to deal with their lack of assistance anymore.

PS Worst wifi in room on entire trip. Lobby area a bit better.

Room Tip: Check out the room first!!! Look at the bathroom ceiling!
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank MMarianne1352
Reviewed 22 March 2015

The great things first: nice neighborhood with lots of restaurants, some shopping, metro and many other conveniences nearby. The hotel restaurant was pretty good and one night when we got there very near closing, the staff stayed late to take care of us. The hotel is quiet, has free Wi-Fi, a pool on the roof and a pleasant lobby. Breakfasts were good and you can even get a cappuccino. (scrambled eggs in Chile are very runny, and you just have to get over thinking they are not quite cooked if you want to eat them ) Now the less attractive elements: the place is a little shop worn. Redecoration and refurbishment of the rooms needs to happen. Also, there aren't a lot of amenities included in the room. While the staff is nice, they are often not very organized or well informed. We asked for advice on restaurants and were sent to one that they said we did not need a reservation for. But, when we got there, we did need one, and ended up having to eat somewhere else. I left my laundry to be done and when I went to collect it, it was in the bag in a storage closet, still dirty!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends