“Excellent location and very helpful staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Plaza San Francisco

Ranked #22 of 197 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney
“Excellent location and very helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I loved my stay at this hotel. It was at the end of a 5 week trip around Sth America and it was a great way to finish my trip. The hotel is very well located right in the heart of the city with many sites just a short walk away. The neighborhood felt very safe and i walked to all the bars in Bellavista late at nights with no problems. The king single room was very spacious and the staff were extremely friendly. On my arrival they pointed out on a map all the places i should make a point of seeing while i was there and they helped with any queries i had. The hotel seems to cater more for people on business trips as this is what most of the people in the hotel seemed to be there for. This however didn't affect my stay at all. I would highly this hotel.

Room Tip: Away from the main street
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Pravin M
MarketingHPSF, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Plaza San Francisco, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you very mucho for your opinion. We are glad to know you had a great experience staying with us.
We hope to have you back soon.

Best Regards,

Hotel Plaza San Francisco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Czech first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

What a mixture of experiences from other reviewers! Some probably a bit harsh. We assumed the soap dishes and toiletries tray were glued because of earthquakes!

We stayed for 2 nights upon arrival in Chile and another night on the way out. We found the staff quite helpful at all times. Breakfast was good with sufficient variation of food. Had a good dinner at the Bristol restaurant. Location was good but hotel is getting a bit tired. We had a back room for the first 2 nights and a front room for the return night and we had no noise problem on either occasion which was a surprise for us because we are light sleepers.

However, we do have a complaint. Upon our arrival at about 1.30pm after the long flight from Australia we had to wait for over an hour for a room to become available. In fact we think that if we hadn't followed up we might still be waiting! Then the next day we were out of our room all day until about 4.30pm. Upon returning to our room we found that nothing had been done to clean and prepare the room. For a hotel of its status this is unforgivable!

1 Thank geonic
Dear guest:

We appreciate your comments and we want to apologize for the problems you had with availability. This is not a regular mistake, but we will make sure to work on it.

Best regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Entering the foyer is like going back into a time warp back to the 1960's, a huge foyer with colonial furniture an authentic bar and soft music. The rooms are a reasonable size although the furniture was a bit dated. It is a 10 minute walk to Plaza de Armas and the Mercado Central fish markets. The breakfast was very good with a wide variety to choose from. Generally we found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful and they spoke good English. The only exception was the staff on our late night checkin who refused to even provide us with a coffee when we checked in after 11.30 pm. They did recommend a sandwich bar close by which was open until 3 am.

Hot water was erratic although this is endemic in South America. Overall we had a pleasant stay and we would definitely recommend this hotel for a short stay.

1 Thank owl4000
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your comment. We are working to keep our old look updated, because it gives personality to our property.

Best regards

Bamako
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed here for a week on business. I did not find any fault with the hotel except for the check out, which was unacceptably slow. That is unfortunate since it is the last interaction of the guest with the hotel. Otherwise, I enjoyed staying here and would gladly do so again.

I arrived before midday on a Sunday when the hotel was full, but I got my room immediately. After 30 hours of travel I really appreciated that. The room was old style, wooden furniture, but quite OK. It was moderate for size. I was on 3rd floor and had a balcony overlooking the street. There was a double window system, which more or less eliminated the street noise, so I was never disturbed (with the windows open, the accelerating buses were quite loud). Bed was comfortable, work space OK but not great, wardrobe space fine, bathroom good, shower good. The A/C seemed to only have turbo-setting, so I used it as little as possible (it's an eco-friendly thing to do anyway).

Breakfast was good, reasonable variety, good coffee. the lounge bar was good, tasty food but limited choice and rather expensive. I ate at the Bristol restaurant on only one evening. Interesting menu, seems to be a bit hit and miss, but really good when it hits. Service throughout the hotel was excellent, friendly and helpful, and never overbearing. I am not going to argue with the other reviewers who said negative things, I will just say that I had a very different and positive experience. The lobby is very good, many seats and tables that are just right to either meet whoever you want to, or sit and relax. This is what hotels used to be like.

The fitness centre is OK. It is compact, with just a few machines in one room and reasonable selection of resistance machines in another room. There are not many users so it's fine. There is also an adjoining spa facility, I didn't use it so can't comment.

Internet is free in the hotel, there is one password for lobby/restaurant and another for the rooms. It works OK, but there are many routers and not all seem to work properly. If you seem to have connected but don't get internet, I suggest to delete that router from your network preferences and connect to another. Keep going until you find a reliable one, and then you're OK.

The hotel is downtown and almost all of the Ministries and government agencies are within 10 minutes walk, as are the original buildings of the two main universities (the main campuses are elsewhere). Cross the avenue and you hit many pedestrian-friendly shopping streets. There is a metro station close to the hotel, this is a good way to get around, but avoid rush hour if you can. Buy a 'Tarjeta BIP' - a smart card with stored value - at the Metro kiosk, and you can use it on metro or bus, it's a flat fare system, about a dollar per trip. The main bus routes also go by the hotel, but there is almost no information about them (even their website has nothing in English) so it's hard to use even though it is fast.

The church beside the hotel (San Francisco) is the oldest surviving church in Chile. It is not spectacular, but it is a tranquil place despite the traffic outside. It is a nice place to visit and just to sit for a while. As others have said, there are not many good restaurants nearby. Suggestion is to walk or take Metro (3 stops) to Baquedano, then about 5 minutes north from there is Bellavista, bohemian area with lots of restaurants.

In summary, I liked this place. It reminded me of a wonderful hotel in Seville where I stayed 25 years ago. Service was very good and I felt at home here. I will come back to Santiago in July, and I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest:

Thank you ver much for your detailed opinion on our services. We apologize for the problems you had checking out.
We'll be waiting to have you back soon.

Best Regards,

Toronto,Ontario,Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We have such a good laugh when we realized that all the soap dishes and toiletries tray are glued onto the counter. I was kind of relieved when I lifted up the brushing cup!
The altitude of the front desk staff are terrible.The only help I received when asking them to send out a post card is, " No, You need a stamp to send them out!" (Thanks a lot, I don't realize any part of the world you can send out mail without any postage) .Check in and out is slow especially you do not speak Spanish (They only have 2 men on duty who also work as the concierge.)At check out time I was asked,"Did you TAKE anything from the minibar" When I told him "NO" He picked up the phone and spoke to somebody on the phone in Spanish, obviously checking on the fridge . I was kept waiting for 5 minutes ,he did not say a thing to me during that time.LOUSY Customer Service!!
I was staying at a junior suite with a good view on a higher floor. However, I do not have the chance to enjoy the view since the drapes are dirty and the window sills are extremely dusty. The room size is decent but the configuration of the bed and furniture are quite awkward. The bed is not too comfortable but the worst thing is their comforter. The comforter is just a thin piece of foam wrapping in a bed sheet. Is that what they use in prison? The pillow is so round that you can double it as a soccer ball! The hotel is tired and dirty. During our 3 days stay, the pool and gym was closed for maintenance as well.
Although, this hotel is right at downtown, most of the attractions are still 10 minutes walk away.(Except SanFrancisco Church next door) I rather take the underground or taxi which is quite easy and convenient and stay in a better hotel somewhere else.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dennisk32
MarketingHPSF, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Plaza San Francisco, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We want to apologyze for all the problems you had in your stay. Every guest is important for us and so is your opinion, so we appreciate your comments and we will check our procedures inorder to give a better service.

Best,