“Lost its shine”

Penang Place Restaurant
Ranked #1,040 of 12,078 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: USD 20 - USD 25
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic, excellent-quality Penang cuisine at affordable prices!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My last visit to Penang Place was at its former premises in Biopolis. After years of fond memories, I was sorely disappointed after my lunch on 3rd April 2018. The spread has somewhat shrunk and even the signature dish of Char Kway Teow wasn’t as yummy. Fried items like chicken, lor bak, etc were over fried, hard and dry. My hope is that this iconic restaurant shouldn’t slide downhill but bounce back soon. I had used their catering services several times but now I would have to await positive feedback before I engage them again.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

This restaurant is located in Suntec City and is a great place for lunch. They also serve dinner. My experience was with lunch. We had a reservation for a group of 8 and were seated promptly. The staff were ver polite and helpful. We had a buffet which offered a wide selection of Malay and Indian Food. The dishes were hot and replenished quickly when the portions got low. My favorite was the Char Kway Teow and it was as good as any that I had tasted in Singapore or Malaysia. The prices are reasonable for a buffet. You can also choose off the A La Carte Menue. Good slection of deserts also. Next time, we go back to Singapore we will go again

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

お気に入りが増えました!夕食のBuffet 、マレーシア料理は何を食べても美味しかったです(^ ^) Suntec City 内にありますのでアクセスも良好です!お料理の出るタイミングがいつも絶妙で、デザートも充実していますので是非オススメです!
Adult Buffet
Mon – Fri Lunch: $24.90++
Mon – Thur Dinner: $27.90++
Fri (Dinner), Sat, Sun, Eve of and on Public Holidays (Lunch & Dinner): $30.90++

Reviewed 29 January 2018

My family of 5 together with a helper went to Penang Place for lunch last Saturday. And we enjoyed the food very much.

The Fried Chicken was delicious. The Char Kway Teow was expertly done (with lots of Wok Hei) and they kept refilling it as it was done in small portions every time. So we could get almost piping hot Char Kway Teow. I also liked the Fried Assam Prawns as they were very flavourful. The Satay was very good too, though I found it a tad over on the sweet side. The Penang Hokkien Mee was good enough, though I have tried better ones in Penang. The Penang Laksa was a bit lacking in robust flavours.The desserts were also good. I especially like the Steamed Glutinous Rice with Kaya and had several servings of them. My wife said that the Pulot Hitam was good too.

The service was good too. Though it was crowded, the wait staff were very prompt in clearing our plates.

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

Penang Place in Suntec City is not difficult to find. We were glad we made reservations for 6.30pm as the dinner crowd was not in yet.

The food was better than I expected. The buffet spread had a good variety of Penang cuisine. There was rojak, Assam fried prawns, crispy chicken wings, achar ( pickled vegetables ).

I thoroughly enjoyed the Penang Hokkien mee- the thick soup was superb, the best I’ve tasted. I had 3 helpings- my guilty pleasure. Bryan, the young man who served us,was very friendly.
We enjoyed the freshly fried char kweteow too.

You will be spoiled for choice when it is time for dessert.
There were several types of Peranakan kueh- my favourite was the kueh ko swee which was so soft.
We loved the mango pudding, gui ling gao and cut fruit. We were too full to eat the ice cream, pulut hitam, ice kacang and chendol. Drinks are not included in the buffet.

Our plates were promptly cleared after each round. The ambience and overall service were very good.
I would definitely recommend this place to others.