“Great Tapas & Wine!!”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2013

The reason I have been keen to try Bomba is its link with Barrafina in London, where I had enjoyed my most memorable tapas meal ever. The chef was formerly from there & it was reason enough to pay the place a visit. Bomba had recently introduced lunch on weekends as well as public holidays. Perhaps it was for this reason that the place was empty when I ate there but you'll not be hearing any complaints from me...
On to the food - I started with a mixed platter of air cured meats & sausages - Cecina, Lomo & Chorizo which were excellent. With sour dough toast & a chilled glass of Libalis Rose from Rioja, this hit the spot immediately. While waiting for the other dishes to arrive, I ordered the pimentos del padron (grilled peppers seasoned with sea salt) which were lovely & sweet & not hot at all. Bomba's menu is heavy on the seafood & you would do well if you are a fan of creatures of the deep. An excellent razor clam was next with lovely chopped tomatoes sprinkled on top & exuding their natural juice. The paellas are great for sharing but if you are alone like me but would like to try, then an order of the monkfish wrapped in pancetta is called for. The saltiness of the meat paired with the juiciness of the fish was just beautiful as was the accompanying arroz negro - creamy squid ink paella! I ordered a final meat dish to round off the meal & was not disappointed by the secreto iberico - pork pressa grilled over charcoal & served pink, full of succulence & tasty umami flavours. Definitely worth a reorder the next visit round.
Dessert was a raisin & pedro ximenez ice cream served atop a bed of raisins soaked in the aforementioned sherry - sheer deliciousness. Was going for the pineapple gazapacho & was glad I didn't as I saw it on the next table.
I found the service to be friendly & relaxed, so was surprised to read one lady's review that labelled it "hideous". Perhaps it was an off day? Anyway, enough plusses to warrant a return visit. The prices are not for shrinking violets so come forewarned. This place together with Esquina are on my go-to list for tapas in Singapore.

2  Thank Kenneth W

Reviewed 27 January 2013

You can choose doe tapas or other side dishes,... But where the real value is in paella. There are several types and each paella type comes in three sizes so you can sample few to share in the same day. The wine list s good with a age dedicated to Spanish wines... Just about right.
The place has been redecorated and there is a strange kind of high long bench by the window overlooking just a road,... Nothing special on that so you'd better skip booking at the bench!
Every day there is a special menu offer with some typical Spanish dishes plus beer at good price, so this is also worth trying., as otherwise the place is just a bit pricy.
And for weekends, brunch is available.
No table clothes,...
A place worthy of visiting once and test for coming back or otherwise.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Bomba's the kind of place you want to love. It's vibey, relaxed looking bar/restaurant. For anyone familiar with the excellent Leon chain in London it looks like it takes inspiration from that - right down to the old books dotted about the place. Food wise its all pretty good. Perhaps lacks a selection of pork free options, especially in the starters, but the paella's themselves were tasty (if a little too salty for my taste). Grilled octopus is a good, BBQ-y tasting plate and the liqueur raisin icecream and manchego cheese plate were good options for 'afters'.

But talk about po-faced staff. They alone may well be the nail in the coffin for this place. They could not have looked more unhappy to be there - appeaaring totally irritated by questions like "please can we order." Not so much as a smile, a 'can I help you' or a 'thank you'. Really made the dining experience borderline unpleasant,

THis restaurant will draw people who know Barrafina or Chez Nico and will walk in expecting a great experience. Bomba needs to quickly get a service team who will welcome the customers front of house and actually make them feel like their patronage is valued. I don't ever want to go to a restaurant that gives me the impression that they would have actually preferred I didn't come at all.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I note some not so positive reviews on this place. I just wanted to give it my own take, hving been to this place many many times since it opened recently.

Firstly, I must ask patrons to temper their expectations, since there is really no place in Singapore that could compare to the places I have recently been to in Spain. I was in Madrid and Seville, and the range of tapas, pinchose, sangria, tinto de verano and the like that was available, is simply incomparable - both in terms of variety, quality and costs.

That having been said, I think that this new player on the scene has done a decent job. They do not charge service charge, and they do have weekly specials. What more can one ask for - in an expensive city like Singapore? Granted, do not expect paella like that you would find in Barcelona, the portions here are much more petite..

Nevertheless, the dishes here are all worth trying. For me, I have tried everything on the menu... so I'm waiting for a sort of menu "re-fresh" ... so I can try some more new tapas..

In the meantime, if anyone knows where I can get authentic "tintos" or "clara" (kinda like a shandy), in Singapore - please holler... :)

1  Thank MaxNg71
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

Although making a reservation our table was next to door. Wait staff were friendly but generally disinterested. Food was terrible. Courgette flower thing was bland and needed salt. Seafood paella was dry and seriously overlooked so all the rice was mush. The prawns within the paella were also mush as they were cooked into oblivion. We will not going back.