Review Highlights
2 hours more than enough...

Dropped by at the Kusu island while returning from St John's island. The next ferry was scheduled... read more

Reviewed 23 November 2018
zapumal
Singapore
via mobile
Deserted Island

I hadn't planned to come here, just stopped on the way back from St John's island. This is a small... read more

Reviewed 24 September 2018
Tarawera99
Hamilton
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Singapore
from USD 17.33
from USD 69.34
from USD 113.05
from USD 51.25
More Info
All reviews marina south pier john's island chinese temple ferry ride singapore island tua pek kong temple coast guard hill top abdul rahman picnic spot climb steps tortoise sanctuary seek blessings city life hawker centre shrine pilgrimage
Reviewed 10 March 2018

I was in Police Coast Guard between 1980 and 1987 and every year during October pilgrimage period, I will be deployed together with other officers for crowd control duty on the island. After I left Police Coast Guard, I did not make any further trip to the island until last Thursday when our Welfare organized an island hopping cruise to visit this island again.

As I walked down the lane leading to the Chinese Temple, a nostalgic memory flashed across my mind. 30 years ago, I was that smart looking, energetic and youthful officer standing on guard at this spot of the island directing the human traffic flow.

Today, I am just alone in plain attire walking down this memory lane looking at the same old Tua Pek Kong temple across the little pond. As I looked down at the reflection in the pond, I saw a man with a wrinkled face and bunch of white hair overgrown above his forehead.

Time flies but this Kusu Island seem the same Kusu island that I knew 30 years ago. The bold red and green roof temple building contrasted starkly with the surrounding, the Tortoise sanctuary, the keramat temple at the hill top, the long stretch of sandy beach and the many coconut and palm trees that wavered in the wind.

My colleagues went into the temple compound to pray to the two deities, the Tua Pek Gong and the Goddess of Mercy. The praying hall has not changed much and the sculpture of two tortoises still remained standing at the compound. The label on the sculpture showed that it was erected in 1976.

We walked up the stairs to the keramat Datuk Nenek temple at the hill-top. Despite having some back pain, I still managed to surmount the climb. The yellow painted praying area remained the same that I saw 30 years back and is still very well maintained.

From the keramat, we walked down to the beach. The area was full of trees and probably filled with positive ions. It is a healthy getaway for a half a day island hopping cruise to this island. No pollution from passing vehicles, no heavy traffic, no car horns, no noise pollution but just the rhyme of the splashing sea waves and the soothing wind that caressed my face. It was rejuvenating and a refreshing nostalgic outing. The atmosphere was serene and the scenery pristine.

We spent about an hour here but it was enough to refresh all my old memories. As the ferries departed from the jetty, I wondered when will I come again to this island that is far from the madding crowd.

Date of experience: March 2018
5  Thank soh_kien_peng
Reviewed 29 December 2017

Went to St John's Island and Kusu island together on a weekday. Take the North-South line to the end and follow the exit to Marina South Pier. Tickets (round trip) is at $18/adult and $12/children(<12). Weekday only 2 ferry so take the 10am to St John and spend a few hours there and then take the 2.45pm ferry to Kusu. The final ferry from Kusu is 4.00pm (same ferry as it will just wait there). Should reach Marina South Pier at 4.30pm.
Weekends got more ferry trips and timing is much different.
Nothing much to do on Kusu island except visit the temple and the climb up the 152 steps to the Karamet. Good to combine the trip with St John's Island.

Date of experience: December 2017
4  Thank wallaw
Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

Excellent family picnic spot ! 45min ferry ride from Marina South pier. Lot of huts to sit and eat. Tranquil beach. One big pagoda. ideal getaway for family and friends. Take everything as there are no shops.

Date of experience: December 2017
1  Thank svgan
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

I know about Kusu Island is from google, when i looking for beach at Singapore. Than, i looking for some information from Tripadvisor and other blogs.

To get Kusu Island you just take the MRT to to the Marina South Pier Station, than buy the ticket, it's about 18$ and you can visit St. John Island and Kusu Island. Make a plan if you want to visit both islands, because there's scheduled ferry. It's different schedule between weekdays and weekend.

When you have arrive at Kusu Island you can find calm situation here. Many trees, waves and water sounds will make you streesless, i think hehehe... Oh ya, there's no food or drink stall here, you must bring it from Singapore.

Just enjoy your time, with take many pictures here, play at the beach, pray, or maybe make a wish, by throw some coins into the centre of the pond.

Find the other side of Singapore here...

Date of experience: September 2017
2  Thank iCoco23
Reviewed 19 November 2017

An extremely peaceful island. A nice little beach by the side and a temple and a Shrine for devotees. We took the ferry from Marina South Pier and it was worth going there to spend some time away from the hustle and bustle of the Singapore city.

Date of experience: November 2017