“Not what I expected, in a bad way.”

Fraser Suites Singapore
Ranked #19 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Not what I expected, in a bad way.”
Reviewed 20 March 2010

In 2008-2009 I had the great pleasure of staying at Great World City (GWC) Serviced Apartments. This place has modern, spacious apartments and includes a magnificent pool, tennis court and more. It is also situated above a large, modern shopping mall. It's a shame to say it, but some days you do not even need to leave the complex.

When a colleague told me that he had stayed at Fraser Suites (FS) and that FS was an even better place I was truly intrigued.

Cut to the present day and I was given an opportunity to stay here. My company set up my apartment. I knew that as a sailor I may have to share a double apartment, but upon my arrival the reception staff informed me that I would have to actually share a room with another man. I was dumbfounded. I phoned my company and they confirmed that I should have my own room. The reception staff "discovered" an email (hard copy) just next to their phone informing them of this fact. I was then told that the room had not been cleaned by housekeeping. It then started to make sense: No one wanted to clean the room so they decided to put me in a room with another man. I had to find my own sheets and make the bed. The apartment was a disaster from the previous tenant but that is another story.

I was told that there was refurbishment going on but it was being done on the 2nd floor. I had been given a 6th floor apartment and I soon discovered that there was work being done directly below on the 5th floor. 2 days of rest and relaxation wasted at this place. The staff was very "diplomatic" when I requested that the work should be shut down at 1800. I do not think they did a thing. I think the staff should actually follow up on their words.

The pool was small (compared to GWC) but a nice break from the noise. The pool staff and catering staff were VERY friendly and may be the only thing keeping me from giving a one-star rating.

Rooms are a bit dated. The view from the 5th floor is worthless. 2-room apartment has no oven. A/C control was hard to set correctly.

I would highly recommend Great World City over Fraser Suites.

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank jbinfl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Auckland
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Fantastic place to stay for families with children. Welcome was very warm and friendly. We were given a welcome hamper and the children each received a soft toy. This was totally unexpected and a very pleasant surprise as we had just got in after midnight.
There is free scheduled shuttle bus to popular shopping areas so access will not be an issue. Full cooking facility if you need one. However close by are many restaurants catering for all taste. A convenient store is also located in the same area. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank GoldenDragon338
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 26 November 2009

The 2 bedroom suite is comfy enough & average for this type of long stay suite, however the kitchenette is not equipped fully. So if you're staying for any length of time bring extra pans coz they provide only 2 small stove top pots & no frying pans or colander (buying them at the local supermarket is mega bucks). Only the 3 bedroom appt has an oven, the 2 bed only a stove top. Local restaurants are so so & very expensive...lots of microwaved foods sold at wine bars for example.
My biggest problem with this locale is that it shares the same block as a night club, so on Wednesday we were woken up at 11:30pm by extremely loud Acid House music & even louder DJ; all the windows closed & despite being on the 5th floor we could still feel the shock waves rattling the bathroom windows & floors!! I have yet to experience Thursday night, but expect more of the same. Friday thru Sun there was a live band outside in the square below our window which played till 10pm & our 3 & 5 year olds couldn't hear the tv in front of us on full volume. The only evenings that were peaceful were Monday & Tuesday. The only nights our kids got to sleep undisturbed & by 8pm were Monday & Tuesday.
This is not the place to stay if you are visiting Singapore on Medical Tourism, have had an operation (as in our case) & are waiting out the week post op for the docs consultation. It is hell to stay here with the noise & disturbance if you have young kids & need peace & quiet to recoup after surgery.
Staff are nice, pool so so (could see nicer outdoor facilities at neighboring hotels from our window), can't say how breakfast was as we ate in our suite.
That said, if you want rowdy night life & so so restaurants & a place not to far from anything then this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family