“Teddy Bear”

Conrad Centennial Singapore
Ranked #21 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Very nice hotel in a conveinent part of the town. Facilities are great with easy access to malls and restaurants. Great views of the sungapore flyer. King size beds are very comfortable and the bathroom is great. I loved this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Conrad Centennial Singapore

Reviewed 26 March 2010

In a city full of sleek hotels this hotel is the pace setter. The design or the staff lets you feel insignificant here, as so many grand five star hotels may do. This hotel is one of my favourites in Asia, and I would consider stopping over in Singapore (given a choice of other regional hubs) just to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Stuart G
Reviewed 26 March 2010

After considering the reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to stay here for a weekend while in Singapore. We arrived early in the morning after a red-eye and we headed straight to the hotel. Upon entering, our bags were taken from us and we were shown to reception. Initial impressions were good. A very understated lobby. The gentleman who checked us in was very polite and did not once mention that it is only 8am and the official check-in time is not for a while. He took took us to our room while making friendly small chat along the way. We were shown the facilities and he asked us if we needed anything else.

The room - Generous size. Very clean (carpet still wet!).
Bathroom - luxurious with amenities you'd expect from a 5 star hotel.
TV & Radio - techy, maybe a little too techy.. not very user friendly.
Bed & Pillow Menu - one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Guaranteed a good nights sleep.
Location - 10-15min walk from MRT. Across the road from Suntec.

2 negatives -

1) My partner spotted mould in the shower. Although it didn't bother me, it bothered her. She called up reception and they acknowledged this and said they would send someone up. Nothing happened. After 10 hours she called up again and explained what had happened. They apologized and said they would send someone up. Shortly after we heard a knock at the door. He simply looked at it and apologized and said it would be cleaned. It was never cleaned. Upon checkout we explained the situation again and they didn't seem phased by it. It's hard not to expect a lot better from Conrad. Although this did not trouble me, it might trouble the 'demanding business traveler' who would expect a discount, complimentary wine or dinner as an apology.

2) While service was impressive at check-in, it soon disappeared. The young lady who opened the door each time you enter and exit the hotel looked bored out of her skull and wouldn't break a smile or mutter a hello. Once again, not a huge issue, but for people who have high expectations - you might be disappointed.

I am not entirely sure if I'd return to Conrad Singapore. There is a huge choice of hotels in this category that I'd love to try.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I stayed at the Conrad Centennial for two nights, as did a colleague (separate rooms). Both of us found that the hotel, while updated cosmetically and having a nice swimming pool, had sub-par service, poor cleanliness, and mediocre rooms.

The service problems all centered on the desk personnel. Upon check-in I happened to notice that my colleague was being offered a "business package" that my clerk never mentioned. It turned out that this package ($20 in laundry/cleaning credit, plus breakfast, and a 3 PM checkout time, for one fee) was something that would work out well for me. I was glad to be able to get it, but slightly annoyed that my clerk didn't mention it while my colleague's clerk did.

The rooms themselves, supposedly on a special "business" floor, were mediocre (see picture). Not much space, and no king size beds available despite having made our reservations 2+ months in advance. Worse, my colleague had problems with mildew or fungus in his room (again, see photo). He ended up switching to a new room for the second day, once space opened up.

The service problems returned as we approached check-out. As I was packing around 2 PM, I got a knock on my door. It turned out to be a desk clerk, who asked, "Excuse me sir, but we were wondering whether you were planning on checking out today?" with an air of nervous expectation. I responded that I was planning on leaving by the 3 PM checkout time...was that not enough? He looked very confused and left. It turned out that there was no notation on my account about a 3 PM late checkout -- but there was the charge for the Business Package that included this privilege.

My colleague experienced almost the reverse when finally checking out. In his case, nobody bothered him about leaving before 3 PM, but the $20 laundry credit had not been properly applied to his bill. The desk clerk was less than gracious (and less than competent) about dealing with it.

So, overall, I was disappointed. This was supposed to be a high-end Hilton property, but it didn't have particularly nice rooms and the service just wasn't very good. Given the number of quality hotels within a couple of square blocks, there have to be better choices.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Delegator
Reviewed 25 March 2010

A great hotel in Singapore - not as close to the quays as other hotels but this is a very nice hotel, with spacious rooms, very clean and well appointed and the staff was always very helpful. It is also very close to tons of shopping.

The breakfast buffet was very nice but could be very crowded at times and because of the crowds the wait staff seemed overwhelmed at times. The buffet was a little on the expensive side but not exceedingly. This should not detract from someone considering staying here.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business