1,576 results
All reviews glass house deluxe garden room battle box colonial building orchard road bustling city high tech nespresso machine dhoby ghaut mrt beautiful hotel complimentary drinks clarke quay boutique hotel national museum plaza singapura evening drinks quiet location
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed here recently as my usual choices were booked out (conferences in town).

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It has been renovated to a very high standard and the rooms unique and are ultra modern.

The only downside is that you must take a cab and there aren't always cabs waiting at the hotel. This is the tradeoff for staying in the middle of an inner city park, which is peaceful.

I was a little dissappointed by a few things in my room that required maintenance - the door handles on most room doors seemed broken - they aren't used because of the lock system used but this looked shabby. There were some other minor defects in the room also.

Breakfast wasn't wonderful, but was adequate.

Amenities were of a high standard and the TWG tea was a good touch. If my usual favourites weren't available, I wouldn't have a problem staying here again.

Room Tip: Had a premium room - anything smaller would be too small.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank PPW-BNE
Hfc_GM, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear PPW-BNE,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your recent stay experience with us.

Your kind words of praises to the hotel are very much appreciated.

We have reviewed the concerns that you have highlighted and it have since been emphasized to the involved department for improvement to be made.

We will continue and take every effort to increase and create awareness among the taxi drivers to familiarise with our unique location.

Once again, thank you very much for taking time to share your experience with us. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Fort Canning.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

This hotel opened almost 2years ago. I stayed there few months after they opened & then again quite recently. Nothing has changed. Taxi drivers still get lost & drive around in circles trying to get there. There is no one to welcome you at the driveway. It's ok. I may not be important. But at least someone to assist me with the luggages? Where is the service?
Only 1 Front Office staff & she is busy on the phone with another couple waiting to be assisted.
After a long long wait finally on the way to my room. I remembered the first time i stayed there i was assisted with my luggages & even walked to my room. This time nothing was even offered. It's ok. Like i said, i may not be important. On the way to the room the corridors were littered with dried up glasses of wines, pizza boxes & even worst!!! Left over food!!! Absolutely Disgusting!!! There was even a bad smell when i passed by one left over food tray outside a room. My room door handle was exactly the same as the first time. Hanging loose & may drop off anytime. It's either the same room if not all the door handle are all broken. Nice room like the last time but not clean. Stains on the sheets. Ball of dust behind room door & under the writing desk. Very surprised they still have not fixed the mirror for shaving in the bathroom & still no ironing board in the room(very basic for a 5* hotel) & it takes forever when you order one BUT i have no choice! Good that they fixed the heater(no warm water the last time)
Breakfast:C'mon you can do better for $300++ per night! No quality!!! Low quality!!! Street food in some cities are of better quality! Very disappointed! Finally check out & it takes forever! No one helps or even offers luggages assistance AGAIN!!! Thought my frustrations will be over soon & head to the driveway & no taxis!!! I have to "book one" & wait for another 10mins for one!!! FYI: I'm a very patient person & don't usually demand anything BUT these are very basic service a 5* star hotel would provide OR these are a few very basic expection anyone would have if they are paying $300++ per night. If you can't provide the very basic. You should revaluate your star ratings & stop giving your guests like me false hopes. I'm sure anyother guests will agree to this. Hope to see improvements in future. Thank-you.

Room Tip: Deluxe room with city view works for me.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank patientsgtraveller
Hfc_GM, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2012

Dear patientsgtraveller,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you had experience during your recent stay with us.

We take great care to ensure that important matters such as these are properly managed. On this occasion we have clearly not succeeded in meeting to your expectations.

We have also addressed your feedbacks to the various departments concerned for immediate improvement to be made.

We hope that these incidents do not mar your memories with us. Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. Should your travel plans take you to Singapore again in future, we hope to have another opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

We have stayed in this hotel 3 times and the last being in early January '12. Each time we have always find it a unique & satisfying experience. Although it's in a colonial building, the deco & fittings are state of the art. Free wi-fi is throughout the premises & the rooms are ipad friendly. Even the TV in the room can surf the net. Complimentary espresso is provided in the room & the lobby for in-house guests.
The last time we stayed in the Premium Luxe room, and found the design of the room is special. The bed is in the center of the room, it only faces the TV. Table & wardrobe are 'hidden' behind the high headboard. When I slept, my husband could still work on the laptop without disrupting me. The bed & pillows are really comfortable too. The room has a separate living room with TV to watch different programs or cater to visitor - well thought out.
Although the location is not in the busy shopping belt, the serene atmosphere suits us. It has a well maintained gym, not too far from our room. Breakfast is healthy with nice spread as we try not to over-indulge. The Glass House serves excellent local & western delights on their menu. Italian fare at the Garto Pardo Restaurant is absolutely superb.
Yes, we look forward to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Hfc_GM, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear Jun W

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience with us. We are glad that Hotel Fort Canning is your preferred choice of accommodation. We are flattered by your kind compliments and will make every effort to serve our guests even better.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your partner back to Hotel Fort Canning soon.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

This building has been beautifully restored into a Hotel and retains many of the colonial characteristics.

The staff were very freindly and helpful all through our stay and we had confidence that they were always at hand if we had any problems.

We arrived early and they were fabulous in getting us a room after a short wait. We relaxed at the pool for a couple of hours and were quite happy there, even in the rain. The poolside furniture is of a high quality and you couldn't ask for a better setting. It is the best pool we have seen in Singapore.

Our room was delightful. The original balcony had been enclosed and remodelled into the bathroom, very quirky but it works well. The room was spacious and the height of the walls are magnificant. The bed was extra comfortable and the room as a whole must have been planned by a very good designer. The coffee machine was a bonus.

We ordered room service one night and it came to us in a Tiffany set, it was a treat but not as good as the food that can be had in a Hawker Centre.

The complimentary early evening drinks were enjoyable and although the lounge area is rather small, everyone would spread out to the adjacent outdoor area making it a very pleasant place to be. The snacks were not spectacular as they had very little available. As they only serve wine to the guests they would be far better to just concentrate on providing a wider range of cheeses with crackers. Another suggestion would be to have a small snack menu for guests to order from.

We were concerned about the location but found this to be no problem at all once we found the easy route in and out, there was very little climbing. There are two seperate lifts, one that serves the basement floors and hence the car park and another on the other side that takes you to your room. Once we got to the ground floor we would walk across to the car park lifts and take this to the car park and walk through the nearby car park mall, take the lifts there and the train station was just across the road.

The location of the Hotel is great and you feel the atmosphere of the park, we spent most of the day exploring Canning Park, it was very enjoyable and a great way to start our vacation.

A previous reviewer suggested to ask for a room with a city view as the rooms were brighter and although I was doubtful we did do this and soon found that it was definately the best choice. One side of the Hotel (the parkview) faces a high wall which both blocks any views and sunlight.

Our breakfast at the Glasshouse was a real treat. It is in a building seperate to the Hotel and again very modern but sophisticated. The choice was not huge but the quality was excellant and very much made up for this.

We really enjoyed our stay and they deserve every one of their five stars. It is a place I would not hesitate to stay at again as long as I was with hubby because it is so romantic.

We thank all the staff for their friendliness and hospitality.

Room Tip: I think a room with a balcony would have been perfect.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PegususPerth
Hfc_GM, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear PegususPerth

Thank you so much for selecting Hotel Fort Canning as your preferred choice of accommodation in Singapore. I hope your stay with us was an unforgettable and memorable one.It is indeed our pleasure to have you with us.

Your kind praises to the hotel as well as your heartening compliments to our team are very much appreciated and it will undoubtedly motivate them to strive even better for our guests.

We have reviewed the concerens that you have highlighted and it have since been emphasized to the department for improvement to be made.

Once again, thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Fort Canning soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 26 February 2012

It's a real shame. The conversion of the building was brilliantly done, and the location, while inconvenient in some respects, is a treat if you're in Singapore on business and are being ferried to meetings by car or taxi anyway. The problem is that the whole place is so darn badly run. They have obviously cut staff to what they think is the absolute minimum number of bodies, but it's not enough to run the place adequately. Twice I called room service and got no answer at all. Once I called the front desk to complain that room service wasn't answering and the front desk didn't answer either! Even worse, the employees they do have are clearly inexperienced and hired primarily because they are cheap. Most were of good will, but simply confused and inept. There wasn't a single day that I didn't have to call and tell the front desk that housekeeping had failed to do something like leave enough towels. And only once did I get any response to my complaint. Whoever the general manager is, he is either the most ineffectual manager in the history of the hotel business or just willfully blind to the inadequacy of his staff. And it really is a darn shame. A beautiful conversion of a historical building has been ruined by cheap and adequate management. Put Ritz Carlton in there and you would have something. Now you have...well, not much.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank SukhumvitRoad
Hfc_GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Sukhumvit Road

Thank you for staying at Hotel Fort Canning, and for your feedback on your stay.

We were dismayed to hear of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and we can understand your frustration. We pride ourselves on delivering our guests a great experience at all times, we would like to assure you that the challenges you encountered are not an indicative of our usual service standard. Please accept our sincere apologies for any in convenience caused.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and it is only through valuable feedback like yours that we can improve the level of our customer services and satisfaction.

We hope this incident does not mar your memories with us. Should your travel plans take you to Singapore again in future, we hope to have another opportunity to be of service to you.

Yours sincerely