“Good”

Ranked #103 of 223 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Cologne, Germany
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

We stayed in the Fernloft Little India, which was ok, I disliked that there were no windows in the dorms and the aircon was frosting the room.
Staff was nice and helpful, breakfast was ok. It was not cheap (20$pp) but compared with other hostels still a good value.
We also stayed at the East Coast branch which is far off the city center but is very cosy and small and close to the beach.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
kl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

I booked online for a four room female dorm.The first night I was given key to a female dorm but the person in charge told me I have to be transferred to another dorm the next day.This is because I am suppose to book for one extra night even though I arrive the next day at one thirtyam and the beds were insufficient.So I said ok and was giventhe room key to my temporary dorm.I went to the bathroom to take my shower and gosh the toilet seat was cover with poop and somebody just push the cover down.I complained the next day.

I went to the counter the next day at around eleven twenty am but the manager was asleep,later after twenty minutes I went to the manager again and he said the system was down and told me to leave my bag with them so that they can carry my bag to another dorm for me.I said ok and went out to explore Singapore.

I came back in the evening but my bag was not transferred to another dorm as they have promised me.Later I found out I was downgraded to a mixed dorm,I was unhappy but the staff told me they could not do anything as they need to close the female dorms to fix the air-cond.The mixed dorm was very filty,an Indian guy was snoring on one of the upper bunk beds.The room had no ventilation and had one kind of smell.

I went down and told the staff I was really unhappy and wanted to change hostel and they told me they would forfeit one night of my stay and could only refund balance of one night instead of two nights.I was still unhappy but I said ok unwillingly.

After that I went out for dinner,when I went back to the hostel that night, I reiterated to the staff I wanted to change hostel and he called his manager for advice.After he hung up, he then gave me back my refund for two nights stay.This is one terrible experience I will never forget in Singapore as Singapore is known for cleanliness and honesty.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank safire88
Ferners, Manager at Fernloft - City Hostel Singapore, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Dear Mdm
First we apologize for the unhappiness caused during your stay with us .
Due to unforeseen air conditional breakdown , we need to change your room type stay which we immediately notify and seek your permission. Should you not agree we would have seek your advise on the next option.
We do our housekeeping 2 times a day and also hope that guests can help us keep the hostel clean for every one.
As in communal living , guest's living style eg snoring ,body odor etc are out of our control but we too seek your understanding in this matter
Upon your request to refund , we too had fulfill your request after the front desk ask for approval.
It is still our responsibility to ensure everyone had a comfortable stay and we will react better should we encounter similar situation in the future

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2010

Stayed here for 7 nights and was ok. Had air con and no bed bugs in the Autumn room so off to a good start!. Walls are thin though and we didn't have a great night's sleep when people rolled in at 5am! Also the laundry facilities are at the end of the corridor and was going all hours so incessant rattling. When we told staff we'd be throwing the clothes out of the 4th floor window if it happened again it stopped. We figured staff were doing laundry all hours for travellers. Breakfast was very basic, bread for toast, tea and coffee but enough to set you up for a few hours. There were rumours of fruit but we never saw any. Staff were nice enough and the wifi and internet worked fine and was free. Bathrooms were basic but clean and a decent hot shower. Really nice location. Farrer Park MRT 5 mins away next to a nice shopping mall. MRT also near to Mustafa's 24hr shopping centre which is a must visit. Once on MRT it was very easy to get around, Charles Quay, Chinatown, Orchard Road and so on. Some nice places to eat nearby and some open till very late. Overall, not the greatest place but certainly does the job on a budget and recommend it for that alone.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HubbysNumpty
Denpasar, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

I stayed at Fernloft Little India for the 1st night, at Chinatown for the 2nd & 3rd and finally back to Little India on my 4th night because I had problem with my flight.

What I don't like:
1. Although I like much better at Little India rather than in Chinatown branch, they were not following up my transfer request immediately that I've confirmed with Rhodora from e-mail booking. I have to asked 3 times from the afternoon till the next morning when I have to checked out. (Well, I'm sure the service could have been better than that).
2. The pillow should be better (more comfy) and could add more 2 pillows at the private room. (I think the bunkbeds pillow is more comfy)
3. The safety deposit box is movable, so it was not secure. It should stick with the bottom.
4. In Chinatown I get fresh fruit everyday at breakfast, but I did not get any in Little India. But if it does, should placed the fruit where all people can noticed that the fruits was available for the guest.
5. No welcome drinks
6. Should moved the things (old bed frame, locker, etc) on the stairs into the store. So everything looks clean and clear.

What I like:
1. Compared to Chinatown, in this place I can feel a privacy and it was really feel like I'm staying in a hostel. (would stay there again)
2. Glenys and the old housekeeping man (I don't know his name) is very friendly and helpful. Noticed every guest staying there.
3. 3 computers with free internet is a bonus :-)
4. Clean bathroom and rooms.
5.The location is great, so easy, by walkable can reached many attractive places and MRT.
6. Like the breakfast area

My suggestion, they should do some improvement from maintenance and service, then I'm sure it will be a better-great place to stay!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Momoid
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

I planned to stay at this hostel for about 2 and a half months, but ended up leaving after only a week and a half. The quality of the rooms varies greatly. For example, some of the two bed dorms are reasonably spacious, while others are tiny without windows. The prices for the 2 and 4 bed dorms are low (and you may get lucky and not have anyone room with you), but the price for the double room and double with bath are exorbitant.

The place looks quite nice from the outside, but the kitchens are a mess and I didn't get the idea that anyone ever cleaned the bathrooms. The location is not bad: about a 10 min walk from Somerset MRT station and 15-20 min walk to Orchard Rd.

All members of the staff that I encountered were courteous and very friendly, though they often smoke directly outside of the hostel and it tends to filter into the main area (and sometimes my room).

I would recommend this place only to someone who is staying for a few days, and has the cash to stay in one of the nicer rooms. The monthly rates are absurd for anyone staying that long. Don't let them fool you into thinking that Singapore is just that expensive, it isn't! You can find nice accommodation in common rooms (no attached bath) and master rooms (attached bath) in other parts of town by looking at websites like singapore.gumtree.sg.

Note that Fernloft RV has recently come under new management and will now be called Mi Casa Lodge. I believe they are doing some renovations, so perhaps the conditions will improve in the coming months, but for now, don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business