Rider's Lodge
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore(Singapore)
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 March 2011

In Summary:
Costly to reach & requires taxis to go anywhere.
Room with no window or only 6" wide window right by the door.
Aircon which will take an average hour to get room down to selected temp as fan speed inadequate.
Unhelpful & uninterested staff at reception.
Clean basic room (hotels classification deluxe).
Basic amenities included (tea/coffee, air-con, deposit box).
Minibar available at extra cost but resonably priced.

We chose this hotel away from the city in order to have a nice view & quiet stay. The taxi cost 28$S in rush hour and the hotel location is not great because there is no MRT station or transport nearby so you have to use taxis to get everywhere.

On arrival reception/hotel is not accesible directly from the car so you have to pull your suitcases uphill & along a paved path (not easy) for short distance approx 20m. Our room was then upstairs (no lift / porter or assistance). The 'receptionist' was not particularly polite or helpful although not rude at check-in.

The room was clean with kettle tea & coffee included. Minibar available at reasonable rates.

Room was extremely disappointing. The hotel's descriptions state "rooms overlooking scenic views". The views are not particularly scenic & you don't have a window to look out of anyway unless you you count a 6" wide slit of a window by the door.

Overall I'd score it 1 out of 5 because it was clean.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank atraveller2011189458
Reviewed 22 March 2011

The reviews on Trip Advisor generally seemed positive - a nice lodge style hotel in a semi rural setting. Overall I was disappointed with my experience. I turned up at about 7am as my flight from NZ landed very early (about 5:30am). The lady on the front desk gave me a look of "what are you doing here?" when I showed up hot and sweaty with my luggage. Not welcoming at all.

Being jet lagged I tried to get some sleep in the morning but this was difficult as the cleaners are extremely noisy. They seemed to spend all their time yelling at each other (including a man, perhaps the overall boss of the cleaning and housekeeping staff, who kept on saying "now listen to me, this is how should be doing it" very loudly!).

My room was very basic, you might even say budget. The breakfast was very very average.

I expected a nice retreat. I got a very basic hotel, with noisy housekeeping staff, which is in the middle of nowhere and awkward to get to.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RoamingKiwi_11
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Rooms: I got myself a Grandeur room with a King size bed. It has a big 32’ LCD TV. Room is reasonably big while Bathroom does not have a bath tub. The room also has got a very small window and of course there is no balcony (I guess it is with Suites only). If you love to look out of your room, pls ask for rooms with double window when you reserve. WiFi Internet access is free and that is a big plus. Big windows would have earned rooms 1 more star from me. It does have a mini refrigerator as well. Iron and ironing board, travel adaptors are available upon request. Late check out/ early check in are allowed subject to availability at no extra cost
Restaurant: Does not have any of its own. But they do serve breakfast for free. Limited
items but taste is good and breakfast is sufficient. As for lunch/ dinner, there is a French restaurant (Picotin) in the same campus, most haunted by locals, so one can try that (min S$60 for 3 course meal) . Else, about 300 meters away you have plenty of restaurants/ bars (including 2 Indian restaurants) on sixth avenue.
Room Rates: Reasonably priced. But do try to call hotel for discounts before booking. (Rack rates are much higher than what you book at)
Proximity: No MRT nearby but there is one coming up in year 2014. Bus stop is 250 meters away from where you can find buses to nearest MRT or even Orchard Road. Interestingly the place has direct link by bus to major shopping areas besides Orchard like Boon Lay, Bukit Timah, Clementi besides those who have work in NUS Kent Bridge, there is a direct connection too. There is a supermarket (Cold Storage) nearby as well. In the hotel compound, there is a famous but expensive Spa as well. If going by taxi, please tell driver that you have to go near horsecity opposite sixth avenue on Bukit Timah Road because this place/ hotel is not well known among the cabbies.
Verdict: The hotel is in a compound where besides hotel there is a Montessori, a French restaurant, a Spa besides a horse turf and a dog compound. At the rate being offered and the access to various places, I have all praise for this hotel. A hotel that could have completed the 5 star rating if limitations are addressed.
Plus: Rooms, location, internet access (if it works)
Minus: Maintenance staff works at their own leisure. I could not access internet at one point in time and it made me call them almost 6 times and they took 5 days to correct the problem. Upon check out when I asked for discount on account of internet issue, I was told that since it was for free so no discounts. I hope someday they should not come n say “today no breakfast” and since it is also for free so hardly as a guest we can do . No choice in cable channels. No Hindi channel. Paid parking at S$1/hr during day time & half after that.
Verdict: Dont choose just because it has got good reviews. It is near to no tourist spot and the price you pay for it, can get you a descent accommodation in the city. I choose it because it has direct access to NUS. Choose this only if you feel like staying in a resort.
Word of caution: Bathroom sleepers are supplied only if u ask for :) ????

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2011

A nice informal hotel in a great spot in Singapore. Away from the city but surrounded by restaurants and bars of Bukit Timah and Sixth Avenue. The rooms are clean and fairly comfortable, albeit a little basic, but given the room rate is fair, no problem. My only real gripe is the breakfast which borders on inedible. Tea ran out, although told 2 minutes, which after 15 minutes never appeared. I asked for a tea bag so i could make my own - no joy - no tea. Friday's breakfast offerings - Curried beans, something I can describe as left-over soggy pasta mixed with tuna?, deep fried chicken nuggests, soggy french toast and overcooked boiled eggs. Still, good for the diet eh? My advice, ask for a $10 discount on the room in return for no breakfast and walk the 20 metres to Picotin and buy breakfast there. Given I stay in alot of hotels in Singpare, it's a shame as I was feeling good about the lodge but the breakfast really blows. Still, on balance good to stay at with just a poor breakfast letting it down.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We came across the Riders Lodge after deciding not to pay over the top for hotels in the city. It's located ideally away from the hustle and bustle of the city and business district, and fitted right into our plans to have a nice relaxing holiday visiting family, friends and places of interest.

Throughout our stay, we had personalized, responsive and prompt service provided by the staff at Riders Lodge from the housekeeping staff, the receptionists and Mr Guna, whose close attention to detail ensured our stay was comfortable. There was truly a family atmosphere felt around the hotel and its location, set upon the picturesque Turf City, was like living close to natural surroundings, rarely found in urbanized Singapore.

Though the hotel doesn't have a restaurant, it provided complimentary breakfast, but I have to say the offering or spread can be improved. However, the other aspects of the hotel clearly offset that. There're restaurants nearby, access is easy and it's ideal for kids because of the big open space, and playgrounds and parks nearby at the Turf City.

Our kids enjoyed their stay, and got a chance to visit the horse stables, the dog day care, the indoor playground Fidgets and the restaurants in the vicinity of Riders Lodge. If you are a family of four, book the suite, and we were fortunate that we got upgraded though I learnt that the suite is always fully booked.

Personally, staying at the Riders Lodge was a trip down memory lane as my childhood days were spent in the old Turf Club watching thoroughbreds going through their paces and the cheers and grunts of punters!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family