“Honeymoon bliss”

Jony's Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This review is on Jony's hotel and the restaurant too.

My new husband and I arrived at Boracay on a Friday (early October 2011) at about lunch time. We were picked up from Caticlan airport in a lovely, clean, aircon van and transferred to the jetty were we waited for about 5mins to be taken on the banca boat. There was only us and another couple on the boat! Met at Boracay by another clean, aircon van and driven to the resort where we were greeted by a really lovely, friendly staff member (he was waiting for us in the driveway - it was so nice) with our "welcome drinks". Through booking our "honeymoon package" I actually asked about Jony's famous Oreo Shakes and of course what was my welcome drink - yep an Oreo Shake! I was in heaven! (We've been to Boracay before this trip).

We were taken straight up to our lovely Super Deluxe (from memory) room with sea views. We were on the top floor of the front of the building. Waiting for us was a dozen red roses, a big fruit basket, bottle of Australian wine (not sure if that was on purpose given we're Aussies but it was a nice touch), our bath towels were shaped into swans kissing which was amazing!

We were both pretty exhausted (we both had a flu after being in Manila prior for 2 weeks) so rested for a bit.

The bathroom was lovely and clean. It didn't come with soap bars (shower gel only supplied). We simply asked for some and they delivered them.

WiFi had a few issues but hubby called reception and was all sorted very quickly.

Bed was SUPER comfortable! Clean sheets, fluffy pillows, nice mattress. Cable tv was great considering my next paragraph (came in handy).

Unfortunately, hubby and I both were struck with food poisoning (he on the Saturday night and me on the Tuesday night) after we both ate at Jony's restaurant. We probably should have been more careful as the restaurant was under refurbishment so that should have rung alarm bells. On our previous trip to Boracay we ate at Jony's every single day of our week long stay with absolutely no issue hence why we thought it might have been due to the construction. But it really did ruin our honeymoon as we were bed ridden for nearly all our trip (Sat night - Tues morn then from Tues night through to when we left on the Friday). Thankfully the Thursday the island was struck with a tropical low and it poured raining all day - was nice to be rugged up in bed.

We did try to explain to the reception staff that we were struck with food poisoning upon check out (we missed out on our massages that were included in our package) but the check out staff didn't seem to get what I meant. I should have told my Filipino husband to speak in Tagalog but we just wanted to go as I still was rather unwell.

We will definitely be back to Boracay and to Jony's though I think we will be very hesitant to eat at the restaurant again. It's a shame really as previously the food was amazing but I never want to be that sick ever again!

Room Tip: Be sure to pay the little extra and get a room with a view. The sunsets are truly beautiful
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathnjuan

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I booked this hotel with a package with Zest Air. For the amount I paid, it was quite disappointing.
We were given a room with the balcony facing a wall. When we asked for a change, they showed us another room & asked to pay extra 1000 pesos, though it was exactly the same grade! Also, they lied to us that the room is booked for someone else, while it wasnt occupied by any guest that day.

The complimentary breakfast provided was very bad. On the first day, when I complained that the rice was tasting stale, the waiter agreed that it was made the previous night, and that I should not complain about it!!!! I was flabbergasted.

After this experience, we decided not to dine at the Jonys restaurant.

Some staff at Jonys was helpful, while few others would start talking in Tagalog, though we were standing right in front of them waiting for an answer. Also, they suggested that we go for "Island Hopping" with a particular company. When we went for it, though we were promised to be taken to atleast 6 islands for 700 pesos pax, we were taken to JUST TWO!!! And rather than helping us resolve this with the company, the staff forced us to pay the whole amount.

Overall, my experience was very disappointing with Jonys. But we had a great time at Boracay - white sand beach... which made up for most of the bad experience!! :-)

Room Tip: You should make a hotel booking after you reach Boracay as there are plenty options across Stations...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ajtkhl
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Excellent staff! Directly across from the beach. Not luxurious but perfect for a person looking for good comfort on a budget. Definitely try the Chocolate Shake at Jony's restaurant. First floor is probably the best because you won't be spending much time at the hotel anyways.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kohulen M
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed there from Sept 29 to Oct 2 2011 loved it room was great staff were great and friendly. Only thing is the breakfast i purchased it along with the room and wasn't worth the money i paid. And do your laundry off site the laundry service at the hotel is very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I was looking for a comfortable place with character on white beach, not ready to pay the Shangri-La rates this time, travelling with the family. And Jony's delivered. The reservation process and email exchange with Rev was already very pleasant, and the welcome and treatment we received from Rev and the front-desk staff was truly special.

The property is set across the main street from the beach, and our two double rooms both had beach view. With help of the staff you cross the road and enter the beachside restaurant for breakfast, lunch, happy hour and dinner. I carried my MacBook, and with 3 women intow I was early in the restaurant, having coffee and taking advantage of the dree wifi to stay on top of business and private matters, while looking over white beach and the turquoise sea...

The food is ambitious (just hired a new chef early 2011), and the fruit drinks are cheap and spectacular.

Downsides? White beach is suffering from erosion (not really Jony's fault), and the water lapped right against the patio faoundation at high tide, leaving nothing of the beach. The private property next door (a retired general, has no beach left.

That said, there was plenty of beach left outside the couple of hours of high tide.

Jony's is within easy walking distance of D'mall, without the hassle that goes with it.

We have very fond memories of Jony's

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family