See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 November 2016 via mobile

Just before i begin, i emailed this "resort" countless times to confirm that all parts of my booking were perfect.

We organised airport pickup to the "resort", giving them our flight details. Our flight was delayed, and from my understanding any decent hotel would assess the flight details prior to picking up their guests. Easy to do online. We arrived in Puerto Princesa, no one to pick us up. We paced up and down looking for our transport... asked for help. No Royal Oberoi representative. We arrive at the "resort". We go to the front reception, explain the situation we just encountered to the man at the desk. He did not seem to care, at all. Dismissed the situation and proceeded to check us in.. we got showed to our room which was infested with mosquitoes... we agreed to slum it for the night and put on citronella patches to ward off the mosquitoes. Staff came to drop off 'welcome drinks'... no idea what it was. It was brown. Staff member did not explain. We asked about times for our tour the next day, he seemed confused. We ended up at the front desk, asking about our tour. Staff had no idea, he asked someone else. My partner actually speaks Tagalog.... and knew exactly what they were saying. Extremely rude. The staff had not booked any of our plans and attempted to scramble something together. We canceled, and promptly caught a tricycle out of there and stayed somewhere else. Awful staff. Awful room. Oh and did i mention the pool was green? And there was not even one other guest in sight... wifi couldn't even be found...

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meriel T
Reviewed 15 September 2016

The place is still operating and in good condition, compared to my previous stay here there are lots of changes happened maybe because of the competitions happening in the hotel and resort field in the city but if you want to stay to a hotel to relax and in a budget mode this is the right place to go. The villa suite is good for a family of 7 it is an up and down room good for a family, an airconditioned room with a nice and comfy 3 queen size bed and small refrigerator. The price of the villa is affordable.

The poolside is great they have up to 8ft deep and with a kiddie pool
The restaurant side is refreshing

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank metalbaron17
Reviewed 10 June 2016

Welcoming staff and refreshing welcome drinks were nice.
swimming pool gives it a rate as i love to swim, but when their are walk in people not staying and just paying to a day/night swimming i did not liked it and i was disappointed.
the food was ok.
the bed were not so soft quiet uncomptable really.
the hotel were quite far from the town, bout 20 minutes ride and you have to walk bout 4 minutes after from the gate just to get a trik. as the guard wont do it for you. unless you ask.

Room Tip: dont choose the end room 2nd floor it can be noisy on the neighborhood.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

When you take the name of one of the great luxury hotel chains, you set up the expectation that you're offering luxury accommodations. What they have here is an odd simulacrum.

The hotel is not bad, they try to maintain it, it is relatively clean. The furniture is pretty uncomfortable. To call the beds hard is an understatement. The sofa too

The shower drain backed up and didn't drain after 1 hour. The hot water faucet is permanently turned off. There is hot water in the shower.

The idea of a two story room is pretty spectacular, the A/C is barely able to handle it. That's ok, there aren't heavy blankets to protect you anyway. The towels are folded into shapes--easy to miss them as decor (I will attach photo of the swan towel)

There is a huge pool with a swim up bar. No one was staffing bar when I was out there. The pool seems to be filled with local kids. All well in good, someone ought to use it since the hotel maintains it. Noise levels are consequently high. The room has no major insulation, so you hear geckos frogs etc as well as the local covers band rehearsing Sigur Ros.

Overall, it seems like it was purposefully built to confuse people with the Oberoi chain. It was also meant to give people a nice experience. Slowly the levels of quality have slipped downward and standards readjusted.

So my overall test: would I stay here again? No I would look for somewhere else and see what else the area offered

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank santjordi
RoyalOberoi, Owner at Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2016

Dear Mr. Santjordi,
First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. however, we are very disappointed to hear that your stay was less enjoyable. we sincerely apologize for your negative experience at our hotel. your feedback is important to us to achieve our goal to provide all guest comfort and wonderful experience but clearly we didn't able to gave you that.

but I want to clarify one thing here I hope it won't offend you
1. we are not a chain hotel and got no connection or whatsoever at the Oberoi chain hotel. this is a sole proprietorship and its called Royal Oberoi and not "The Oberoi" that you are expecting to be a 5 star plus. noting that our rate is not even $50.00 with complimentary breakfast.
I know it is not an excuse for us not to be able to deliver, but trust me we strive hard to give our guest satisfactory experience. and we are terribly sorry.
please allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Rose Marie A. Kay

Reviewed 8 March 2016

It is the high season in Palawan and not many places are still available.
So I was very worry when the Oberoi looked empty. What a nice surprise
when arriving the place...
It is somewhat far and not in the center, it is somewhat old and been
renovated maybe not to the most high expectation but it is great place.
First the friendly people - starting from airport pick-up, reception, handle
of tour booking and private van, great swim-pool that make you wish to
stay all day in there.
Breakfast is small as they have very few rooms so can not have buffet.
Wifi is need great improvement!!!! It is not strong enough in the rooms.

Room Tip: take the family room....
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
RoyalOberoi, Owner at Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

Dear DGS,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. guest comfort and satisfaction are of the outmost concern to us and we are committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable clean accommodations. however, I apologize for the inconvenience may have cause you with regards the Wifi connection. we are getting our I.T consultant to resolve this issue.
once again thank you very much for sharing your feedback I am sure your review will be a great help for our future guest which would also like to try what we have to offer. if you have other comments or suggestion, please feel free.