All reviews free shuttle minute car ride early stages veranda room hotel site nearby bars and restaurants premier suite great view of the pool game area bistek tagalog new development breakfast buffet is simple hotel recommend this hotel swimming pool excellent hotel perfect place to stay
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We found this resort to be a dream! We were treated very well. The rooms were very clean, safe, and comfortable. The staff working was wonderful. Johnnie was the man who took care of our room and he was always spot on! The beach was great not over crowded at all. Plenty of delicious restaurants on site. The breakfast Buffett was great, lots of different food to choose from. There is a spa and we had daily massages because they were so affordable. I think for an hour it was about $12 US dollars. We really had such a wonderful stay and should we go back to El Nido we will be staying here again. No bugs or rats were anywhere on the property or rooms!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank RaleighHeidi
lioestateresorts01, Manager at Casa Kalaw, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2018

Dear RaleighHeidi,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. We are glad to read your positive feedback about your stay. As this shows that you very much enjoyed our different services and facilities within Lio Estate.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

The hotel is located in Lio Beach which is around 15 to 20 mins away from the main town of El Nido, where most of the tours and hostels are. The ambiance here is very nice and and somewhat have the "exclusive" or private feel as there are not a lot of tourists. The hotel is very nice. They have wide rooms compared to other hotels and their breakfast buffet is really very good. They have lounge in the pool for you to chill.

Room tip: room with the pool view
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear katehreena,,

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Casa Kalaw is a great hotel owned by the Ayala Group so everything was first class in Ayala style. We had access to a really nice private beach during the day and great bars and restaurants at night. The wifi is very good which helped a lot for my work as it is really tough to find a good wifi spot in El Nido. Overall I rate the hotel excellent and great value for money.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Richard U

Dear Richard U,

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

This is a great find if your are in El Nido. This is the first time we tried to stay in Lio and it is an upgrade from the hotels in El Nido town. There are a lot of restaurants nearby and the rooms are cozy and clean. Its a good bang for the buck. Great value. I can enjoy a longer stay in el nido.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear AJ88888888,

Reviewed 23 March 2018

We picked Casa Kalaw after reading numerous reviews on other accommodation options in El Nido, none of which received a particularly good rating that wasn’t for an exorbitant price. I was drawn to Casa Kalaw as it seemed to be the only hotel where management was proactive enough to respond to reviews. Oh boy, how I was wrong. I only realised now that the reviews are a generic “copy and paste” and I’m quite sure I will get a generic response to this review too.

Location: The hotel is located in Lio Estate, which is around a 10-15 min ride to the centre of El Nido. It’s a newly developed precinct with hotels and restaurants, but over time, the plan is to develop it further with residential, offices etc. The area is great if you don’t want to be in the noise and bustle of El Nido central. Lio Estate also has its own exclusive beach, which is nice and clean but does have sand fleas. The estate does provide a complimentary shuttle to and from the precinct to El Nido central every hour, so you don’t need a tricycle unless you go during hours it does not operate in.

Rooms: On appearance, the hotel looks nice and modern as it is a recently completed establishment. We had a ground floor unit facing the swimming pool. Our first impression of the room was ok. We put down our luggage and headed out the door to grab a bite after our long travels. When we came back it was almost midnight. When I lifted the duvet, I noticed a huge yellow patch on my side of the bed. As it was quite late, I just threw a bath towel over the area and waited till morning to let reception know. The next morning I went to the reception and ask if she could come to my room to have a look at the bed. I showed her the yellow patch on the bed, the dirty marks on the room chair as well as the curtains which were coming off the railing (pictures provided). She didn’t look interested at all and just said she will call housekeeping to fix it. When we came back later on, the bed was changed but the chair and curtain remained as is. The bathroom isn’t any better. The shower turns hot and cold all the time so you either freeze or get burnt. This is something I read about in other people’s reviews as well so I guess my point is to illustrate that problems don’t get fixed here.

Food: Our room rate included breakfast. Breakfast was not good – the options were very limited and the quality of the food was bad. Even the slices of fruit were completely tasteless – which is odd since you’re in a tropical country. The worst part is that there is a resident rat running around. We spotted it 2 days out of our 5 day stay. The staff clearly knows about it because they laugh when the rat ran over another staff member’s foot. It was disgusting and it leads me to question how hygienic they are.

Other amenities: Lio Estate is one of the only places on the island that has fast speed internet. This may seem like an odd request when you’re on holiday, but it becomes important when you trying to make travel arrangements. Casa Kalaw also has a nice pool area (one of the few things that are nice here). They also have an area where you can play table tennis, pool and darts which becomes handy when the weather is bad. There is a sign in the area asking guests to only play during certain times, so as to not disturb other guests. This is clearly not abided to and the receptionists continue to hand out the paddles, darts, balls, etc. to guests outside these hours and it becomes very annoying and noisy when you’re awoken at 7AM by kids playing in these area when the sign says between 10AM – 10PM. It doesn’t help at all that the walls of the rooms are thin and you can hear everything in the passage.

Laundry: When we checked-in and the receptionist took us to our rooms, he explained that the hotel does do laundry on behalf of guests. We thought we would get our clothes washed at the hotel so we don’t have to rush to town to get our laundry done. The receptionist told us at the time of check-in that the laundry was P80/kg. However, upon check out our bill was for P120/kg. When we asked the receptionist about it, they denied the incorrect price quoted to us. The worst part of this whole debacle was that the clothes came back dirtier than before! You would think that if they want to charge you P80 or P120 per kg that it would come back ironed, folded and most of all CLEAN. My white top came back dirtier than ever (please look at the picture). I showed this to the receptionist and he just nodded at me and said ok. We had to still pay for our “washing”.

This hotel will never see me again. I do not recommend this hotel at all. It is probably one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.

Room tip: Don't stay in this hotel
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Travelbug0102
ElNidoResortsPH, Manager at Casa Kalaw, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Travelbug0102,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Casa Kalaw

I am very much concerned to hear and truly regret to know of your dissatisfaction during your visit with us. Please allow me to extend my sincere apologies for this experience and the short comings in service delivery

I would like to discuss this matter with you in more detail please to contact me at mcerqueda@elnidoresorts.com

Marc Cerqueda