All reviews seaside villa infinity pool tricycle service sea view villa lovely bathroom free tricycle hotel is located min walk pick up and drop bumpy road rooms are large lounge chairs night life comfortable bed watching the sunset great place to stay night stay
Reviewed 18 July 2018

It seems clear what they are trying to do here – create a “Boutique Resort” – which is why they feel they can charge +/-8,000PHP ($250AUD) per night. In some areas, they have succeeded magnificently, some moderately, and some (too many) failed miserably. If 2.5 stars were possible, that’s what they’d get, however I’ll try to be generous and give 3 rather than 2.
Let’s start with the good:
• The grounds – magnificent: Lush gardens, dark wood everywhere, a modern dining area, and a pool area overlooking a glorious view – 5 stars
• The rooms – great: Large, modern, big beds, quality bedding, AMAZING air conditioning, proper lighting, lovely bathroom (why do most hotel rooms have lamps and no ceiling lights? No such problem here)
• The location – out of town with shuttles: If you want some peace and quiet and not be in the middle of things, this location is great. About a 15min walk from town (the path is in severe disrepair, bring sturdy shoes and a torch at night), there are also trike shuttles provided between 8am and 10pm with no more than a 5min wait.
• The staff – they have chosen the right people, trained them to be personable and friendly (each one greets you with a good morning/evening sir/madam, and a smile). They work hard to constantly maintain the grounds. Unfortunately, whilst they have been trained well (which is great if things are going well), they are not being supervised well (which is needed if things aren’t – see below)
And the bad:
• The internet – basically non-existent: I know, I know, you’re on holiday, relax. However, if you are self-employed (as we are) and need to get in touch with clients, or download a document (not images, or a movie, just a simple document), unless you are doing it between 2am and 7am, it is IMPOSSIBLE here. When asked why the internet is unavailable between 7am and 2am, you are told by reception that the internet is bad in all El Nido.
• This is blatantly untrue. There are multiple hotels of a lower grade (and cost) than this one openly advertising optical high-speed internet in their rooms. If this is a concern for you at all (you need to be online AT ALL for business, or you have kids that might want to watch something, or you just want to be contactable or contact anyone outside of 2am to 7am, DO NOT STAY HERE!! If all you want to do is sit on your balcony/deck and watch the lush garden and ocean view – great. Otherwise, I suggest trying somewhere else.
• This is actually easily solved. There is one (1) internet connection for the whole resort (behind the counter in reception). The only time we were able to get internet was at 6am HAVING TO SIT IN THE LOBBY!!!. Forget trying to even check Gmail in your room. Not going to happen, even at the above times. For the cost of one of the beautiful shrubs in their garden, they could buy 2 network repeaters and have connection points at the end of each corridor so that people could at least get the connection that is currently only available in the lobby in their rooms. This is a sign of the lack of consideration of the customer experience. At this price, it should be expected. Which leads me to ….
The downright ridiculous:
• You are given 1 key to your room. That’s it. Asking for another key will get you a “Our policy is …” (you’ll hear this a lot here – remember the bit about they are trained well but supervised poorly). No amount of asking will get you a 2nd key. On the first morning I woke up early, left the room while my wife was sleeping to go for a walk. On returning, I asked if I could have a key to get into the room so I didn’t wake my wife. “I’m sorry sir, our policy is…Some one can open the door for you if you like”. No, I don’t like. I’d like a 2nd key to my room. I asked what I should do if my wife is out with the my key? “Come to reception and we will open the door for you”. So, any time you want to get into your room, and you are not with the person who has the key, you have to go to reception and ask someone to let you into your room. Not sure who this policy is for, but is sure as hell isn’t for the comfort and enjoyment of your guests. Again, for the cost of one of your shrubs, you can probably have 100 keys made and have 4 per room. Another example on the focus being on the wrong things – the grounds are magnificent, the customer experience stinks.
• The dining area – only 1 out of the 5 days we were here did things go well at breakfast. 1 day they had forgotten to light the burners under the bain marie, so everything was cold by the time you got there, 2 days they had forgotten to put out the sign that tells you what the food is (it’s mostly Philippine food so unless you know it by sight, you don’t know what you’re eating without some kind of sign. Great for me, I’m quite adventurous with my food. Potentially life-threatening for my wife who has multiple allergies. Here’s another hilarious if it wasn’t so sad example of how staff are well trained but poorly supervised. On one of the days there was no sign, I went to a staff member and said that the sign that was usually out was missing. He grabs the sign from behind the counter (with nothing written on it) and says “Here it is sir” and puts it back down again (as if I was worried about where the sign was, rather than the information on the sign – language miscommunication – hilarious, right). I say – no, I would like to know what the food is. Sorry sir, he says, the lady who writes the sign isn’t here today. Sad, right. There are so many of these examples (dessert (chocolate mousse) was served frozen, right out of the freezer, inedible; when asking for cutlery, you are brought a knife and fork, and have to ask again for a spoon; etc, etc, etc). Again, it is not the staff, it is that people are trained for their job, and that’s it. There is no-one responsible for making sure things go well overall.
• Communication between staff – here’s 1 example: on the morning of the day before we were leaving, we went to reception and asked about a transfer to the airport. We were told a ride would be organised for 2 hours before our flight. When we came back that afternoon, we asked if a ride had been organised and were told, yes, at 11am. 2 hours later (4pm) we get a call to our room – “Hi sir, you are leaving tomorrow and I am calling to arrange your transfer.” I went down to reception to ask if he’d spoken to the girl at reception that morning that had arranged our transfer. No. He looks around, finds a piece of paper that shows the transfer has been arranged. “Here it is”, he says. You’ll agree that the order to do things is loom to see if it has been arranged first and THEN call the guest. But you see, how they’ve been trained (for the benefit of the guest) is, check who is checking out and contact them to organise a transfer. Great service. Bad supervision. Another example of people having been trained to do their job well and no-one actually taking responsibility for the guest’s experience.
• The pool – a lovely plunge pool, and yes, it is an infinity pool. However, it is the equivalent of a “Decaf soy latte” (also known as a “why bother”). I’m sue it’s great for keeping kids entertained, (the only people we saw in it in 5 days – you’ll see why). The pool itself is about 9m long and, at 1 end, no more than 1.5m wide (less than 2 people side by side) and about 3m at the other end. With 25 rooms (assuming 2 people per room, not counting kids), that’s 50 people. 6 lounge chairs. You do the math
• The shower head – crap, broken plastic: It’s one of those ones that slides up and down on a pole attached to the wall – except that it doesn’t. This is some cheap, crappy plastic thing that I imagine broke the first time it was used and now only sits at the bottom of the pole, wetting your legs.
• I could go on. There are dozens of these kinds of examples, but you’re probably bored, and I’ve had enough venting. By the end we were just making jokes about it (“Do you think if we order a cocktail they won’t put alcohol in it because the person who measures out the alcohol isn’t here today?”). In summary, if you just want to sit on a balcony/deck watching the gardens and water and have nothing to do because there’s no connection to the world – this is your place. If you think that for $250 a night you should not feel like you are in a luxurious hostel where nothing runs right. There’s a reason this place is No.9 of 18 hotels in El Nido. Try the other 8 first.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank d3outguncom
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

The resort staff were very hospitable and helpful. They arrange all your transportation to and from The Nest. Just tell them where you want to go. The resort staff was also fluent in english. The rooms and other facilities were clean. I highly recommend this place to everyone.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank David F
Reviewed 8 July 2018

Booked two rooms at the resort for party of four. My husband and I got Room #1 the Bay View Villa/Beach Front (the one with the jacuzzi) and my mom and son shared Room #4 which was a Seaside Villa. Both rooms are spacious, clean and have ocean view. Highly recommended is the Bay View Villa/Beach Front (the one with the jacuzzi). You will have an unobstructed view of the ocean, sunset and Cadlao island from your front porch. Although the room is directly across from the restaurant and pool, there was no noise that I have to complain about. Complimentary buffet breakfast is more than sufficient to get you going for your island tours. The selection does change daily (we were there for 4 days) with a few mainstays. The staff was very helpful and always ready to assist you. The front office arranged for our private tours (Tour A and C) and a big thank you for Rhayean (sorry if I misspelled your name) who help coordinate these activities! I requested that I have the same boat crew/boat/tour operator for both days and he made it happen (Tarawis Tours was our tour operator and I will be making a separate review for them, but do request them - their crew is very helpful and they have a new boat)! As mentioned, the hotel is away from El Nido town proper and they provide complimentary tricycle service to go in and out of town as well as airport pick up. Never had any problems with pick up and drop off. There is always a tricycle on standby ready to take take you to town or bring you back. Shout out to Ramon who did most of our drop off and pick up. He knows exactly how to maneuver the tricky street and alley way to and from the hotel. Also, a big thank you to Ton-Ton at the front office who patiently answered all of my and my husband's email prior to our arrival! Another thank you to Gretch (I think this is her name and was on duty 6/18 - 6/22)) who helped coordinate/plan my mom's birthday dinner and the kitchen staff who made the delicious special order meal. The cake was sooo good! Everything about our stay at The Nest was PERFECT - the hotel facility, the location, staff, restaurant, service and transport. I highly recommend staying at the Nest!

Room Tip: Room #1 the Bay View Villa/Beach Front (the one with the jacuzzi)
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jr L
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Hotel is secluded, around 15mins walk from town - it offers a shuttle service though.
Service is really good - reception is able to help you with organising everything you need (at a reasonable price).
Rooms are large with good aircon, though I found them a bit too dark.
Common area consist of beautifully maintained gardens in the middle, infinity pool (with just 6sunbeds- might not be sufficient) and barefoot restaurant, that offers the most amazing view (especially sunset) in El Nido!
Very good breakfast.
Please note, there is no swimmable beach nearby.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicccole1982
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Good direct transport from the airport to the resort, be prepared for a tricycle from the town to the resort on the last bit of the journey - quite fun and different!

Resort itself is nice and separate from the main town. We stayed in an ocean view room, offering fabulous views of the surrounding bay and islands. It has a nice comfy bed, with a nice cool room and pleasant bathroom facilities. As a westerner, putting toilet paper in a bin instead of the toilet is a bit alien but understanding considering location.

Restaurant serves food for all persuasions and it's generally quite good - breakfasts are good. Staff here, and throughout, are great and more than happy to help. One thing we didn't like was, on the first day, volume of music blaring out. Not being a 'party' couple, we were put off a little.

We were woken up one morning at 6am to staff shouting and joking, playing loud music also, whilst preparing for breakfast - which opened at 7. After 30 minutes I had to ask them to respect guests sleeping and be quiet. Not the most relaxing experience, but the other mornings were much better.

If it had carried on I'd have marked a lower rating. As it didn't, plus the helpful staff and transport to/from town I'm happy to say this is a good place to stay.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple