“Pristine Paradise for Techies”

Princessa Holiday Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palawan Island
Princessa Holiday Resort
Ranked #64 of 88 Hotels in Palawan Island
paranaque
“Pristine Paradise for Techies”
Reviewed 6 October 2007

I have been a frequent visitor to Princessa Resort in the last 5 years visiting almost 2x a year one in the summer and the other in the ber months. I must say that in the last 5 visits to this place, I couldnt help but be pleased with the accomodations (room upgraded for me everytime) and the kind hospitality I get with the resort's staff. The food is splendid in this place as I have always been serve excellent food which is most cases unlisted in the menu. I have a fascination for its gourmet cuisine serve uniquely by its chef. In my recent visit, aside from the usual snorkeling and diving, the resort is the only Paradise haven to have WIFI Internet all about is its grounds including its pristine powdery white shoreline. Im very well pleased that in my recent escape to this resort, I was able to run through my emails, make some VOIP calls as well as run my TV application in my laptop to get updated on bloomberg and cnn channels. Overall, my sojourn in Palawan has been memorable and fun having been able to indulge in my usual water activities while remaining connected from the rest of the world.
Princessa is just perfect for the nature adventurists, backpackers, surfer dudes or for yuppies who are looking for a peaceful sojourn from the busy hustle and bustle of city life while remaining connected to the rest of the world. I give this resort 5 stars.

• Liked — free wifi internet
  • Disliked — none
3 Thank happy_surfdude

Families
manila
Reviewed 17 August 2007

I would like to thank Mam teresa, she personally design my wedding venue at view deck, I appreciate this so much.

When we went to the place August 2, 2007 and held our wedding.We enjoyed the place to the max. So solemn, quiet you can really relax.

The food is excellent, delicious and is served in finest style!
The people are warm, courteous and accomodating.

What more can we ask for, we will celebrate our anniversaries again here.........

• Liked — excellent accommodation and service...
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kheizha
Manila
Reviewed 28 July 2007

Jellyfishes…sand mites…four hours of roller-coaster ride…rats in the ceiling…contacted allergies…a week of itching and scratching…and a dead night life. This is what you’ll get if you stay in this place.

DONT EVEN THINK OF STAYING HERE! That is the first thing that I have to warn you about this place. When we got to the airport, we were initially greeted by a friendly resort staff and they proceeded to give us a complimentary city tour (which was not entirely complimentary since we had to pay an entrance fee to the places where we went to) to an old church and a small museum. The staff even took us to the grocery where we can buy some travel essentials that we forgot to pack in our bags. It wasn’t a bad start …or so we thought.

When we left the city and began the long travel towards the resort, everything went downhill from there on.

The shuttle drive form the city to this middle of nowhere place feels like a roller coaster ride which lasts almost 2 hrs of rough roads at a dangerous speed! Don’t even think of napping! Barfing is more like it.

The resort had dilapidated nipa huts but the deluxe room was livable since it seems to have been somewhat renovated. But the room smelled of mildew, ref reeks of rotten food and the sheets have brown spots in them. There were no TVs, Radios nor any form of entertainment. Thank god we brought our IPods.

First thing we did after settling our things in the room was to go to the restaurant. What a sight! It was so dilapidated, we initially thought it was a storage room for the restaurant’s tables and chairs (there was a part where the tables & chairs where all piled up in one corner). The utensils weren't clean, and the cups smelled funny (you wouldn’t want to drink out of it). The price was exorbitantly high! The food was ok but take hours to make. We ordered our food at 12:30pm and we were only able to eat around 3pm! Even the powdered soup we ordered took an hour to prepare. Need I mention the view... we saw a rat in the wooden beams above the table where we were eating.

The resort’s beach initially looked inviting. We took a quick dip in the water but ran for our lives after encountering enourmous JELLY FISHES in the water.

And this was all in just the first day! given that we had already prepaid for this trip we decided to just enjoy the following days with the other PALAWAN experience attractions.... guess what... it TAKES you another 4 HRS of TRAVEL TIME TO and FROM the RESORT via Public Shuttle, in the same ROLLER COASTER RIDE! Curfew to this FAR, FAR away province from the city is at 7:00pm SHARP. Good bye to the night life in the city and back to the boring insect-infected resort. A lot of our friends recommended places where we can eat in the city. And that’s what we did. We’re on a vacation aren’t we? But since we were warned about the the shuttle’s ridiculous schedule, we had to eat our dinner in a hurry and was still penalized by being late for 5 minutes! We had to rent a van for P2,000 to take us back to our resort. Or be stranded without any clean clothes in the city.

The worst thing about this trip is, now a week after the whole lousy trip, I’M STILL ITCHING ALL OVER with around 80 INSECT BITES around my legs and my body! SAND MITES or whatever seem to be the only happy diners in the area. I needed to go to 2 doctors to give me steriodal creams and allergy meds. STILL the itching is killing me!

This was the worst vacation that I took. I’m sure I could have enjoyed it more. Palawan was great. But the resort was REALLY HORRIBLE.

• Liked — nothing!!!!
  • Disliked — infested beach, dilapidated amenities, lousy & expensive food. horrible trip to a secluded place.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank BeachBummer59
maniladoglover, owner at Princessa Holiday Resort, responded to this review, 31 August 2007
We appreciate comments from our guests. Over the twelve years we have been in business we have received many of them, most with praise but some of course with recommendations for improvements. When possible we have improved on the resort to meet the expectations of our guests.
Never before did we read such a negative report . It is the personal opinion of one guest, spiced with his negative impressions, and some misleading remarks.
As the Resort owner i have to correct what is untrue and what is wrong. I want to give the correct info to the future guests.
All the information a traveler can desire on our resort is in our website, and if they want to ask more questions, our staff in the booking offices are at their service. May I suggest to read this web information before traveling to Palawan...it will avoid a lot of misunderstandings and misgivings.

In our website we state clearly that the resort is about one and a half hour from the airport ...how many times can you find paradise next to the airport ? The road is a typical Filipino provincial road, not very smooth and permanently under construction. Should we be held responsible for the state of the roads in Palawan ?

The resort has three types of rooms, standard, superior and deluxe. None are dilapidated as they have been well maintained since their construction and upgraded in 2006. The deluxe rooms have all been newly built in the past 3 years. It is highly unlikely that the deluxe rooms smell of mildew because all windows have jalousies and are screened to allow air circulation. Moreover all rooms are sprayed with air freshener each time a guest leaves the room.

The fridges in the rooms are to keep bottles or cans of drinks...it is highly unlikely that they will smell of rotten food. This would suggest that the fridges are not checked when the guests leave the room...not possible.

If the guest found brown spots of stain on one bed sheet, we apologize, but he did not report that in the resort. Our policy is to use only very clean bedlinen and we would have called this immediately to the attention of housekeeping and changed to clean linen.

We have a policy of no TV's and radios in the rooms. If our guests want to watch TV or listen to music, they can do that either in the reception or in the social hall...or if they have a laptop, they can connect to the WIFI anywhere in the resort and enjoy it from the laptop.

For correctness I have to state that the restaurant consists of two buildings, connected by a bridge. In the low season, the smaller restaurant is not used. Then some tables and chairs may be stored temporarily. The restaurant in use is never like a store room.

It is with the strongest feelings that I have to object to the statement that the restaurant utensils and the cups were dirty. NOT TRUE and IMPOSSIBLE. When BeachBummer59 was in the resort we had other guests and the owner was there. We place high value on cleanliness...we have never gotten this kind of remark.

I appreciate the guest confessed the food was OK especially while he writes a not positive review at all. We have checked the time he waited for his meal, 35 minutes and NOT TWO AND A HALF HOURS!!! We like to tell our future guests that we have a menu with choices, and against the meals that take a longer time to prepare we have mentioned the time needed to wait. All meals are prepared fresh upon order.

Thank you, yes our beach is nice and inviting. But can you blame anyone for fishes swimming in the sea ??? even is they are jellyfishes ? By the way the largest jellyfish found on our beach was 15 cm...and that is what our guest labels as enormous. Ever heard of the box jellyfishes ?

Any guest that wants to travel to the underground river from our resort can go either by public shuttle (cheap) or by private air-conditioned van (a bit more expensive but comfortable). If you choose the trip by public transport, know that you are not alone and that it is only polite to respect the time of the others too. If you show up late - the shuttle cannot wait. This is true all around the world. This is not Princessa Holiday Resort policy. It is self discipline while traveling in group.

And finally, if there are insects in Palawan, you can and should protect yourself . We recommend Off lotion and if you forget it we have it for sale in the resort. Don't blame the insects for your carelessness. Don't blame Princessa Holiday resort for your itchiness...how do you prove the bites came from our beach???

Next time anyone wants to visit Palawan, please prepare for it (and bring off lotion), it will help you have an truly nice experience in a piece of paradise.
USA
Reviewed 30 May 2007

Booked the hotel through a local Philippine carrier as part of a tour package.

I am a local who loves travelling but am very disappointed about this place.

Reasons that you should think twice before booking a vacation to this place. You know what? Don't even think about it. Here's what drove me to feel the urge to share my experience so no one has to go through them again.
1. The location is not ideal. The resort is in the south of Palawan. The beach is not as nice. It takes 2 hours to go to the resort and once there, other tourist attractions are at least 2 hours away.
The tourist places in Palawan are all up North or in the center.
I learned this from a travel guide whom we met after leaving this resort.
2. The resort does not feel safe. It is remote; some minutes of rough drive from the main road. And there are no other resorts close to it. If anything is to happen to me, no one would probably hear from me even if I shout from the top of my lungs.
There is no immediate vehicle or ride going out of the resort, you have to schedule for one.
3. Forget your cellphone or connecting to internet, there is not a chance for you to do either of these. No signal.
4. The hotel is dilapidated in the evenings. The pool does not have lighting and it's dark in most places of the resort. You definitely will not want to stay by the beach, it does not look secured. I would classify the evening sight as scary.
5. You imagine the resort is by the sand where you can walk from places of interest within the resort on foot. Wrong. The resort is on clay soil. I can imagine how inconvenient it could get during the rainy season.
6. Pictures, which been recently changed, show a good view of the beach but although the beach is close enough; you actually can't see it from the resort. The resort is borderd by wood fences.
7. One of the guests during our stay mentioned that he walked the shoreline for a mile and did not see any sign of civilization.
8. The accommodations are dilapidated, scary, and missing the amenities you would expect a resort with the quoted rates. We got the de luxe accommodation and here's what we found:
- the place was dusty
- there was a fridge but it was dirty and smell of mildew. But what can you cool up in the fridge when you cannot bring any drink or food acquired outside into the hotel?
- the bathroom is miserable, when we opened the tap the first flow of water was brown. the toilet seat and bowl was dirty. the shower curtain was torn. the water pressure is not strong enough so imagine how long it takes to take a shower
- the beds are not comfortable
- one of our linens had some brown spots! yuck!
9. There is no TV in the accommodation (in any accommodation that is even the suite). There is no form of audio entertainment in any accommodation.
8. There is nothing to do at night. You cannot use the pool because it's dilapidated.
9. There are no activities during the day either.
9. It is expensive. I have travelled to many local tourist locations and the price of this place is definitely worth a 4-star hotel. I would rate this resort at 2-stars.

I was with my wife and payed for a package good for 4 nights. It was so bad that we took off early morning after the first night. And boy was it a good decision because we went to the city, central part of Palawan and had a good accommodation for a tiny fraction of the price with all the good things I was hoping for from Princessa Holiday. We were even able to go the advertised tourist attractions on our own and very easily from the city.

Here are more reasons for not going to this place:
1. We met a group of 3 Filipino-Americans and their first comment, after introducing our names, was: "Weren't you surprised of the place?" We just got to the place 30 minutes back and we already knew what they were talking about.
2. In our first and only night there during dinner, a 7-year old girl told her mum and dad out load: "Mum I'm bored."
3. My wife and I after having moved to the city actually went to their booking office and spoke to the owner of the resort. All she had to say of the things we mentioned at the top were alibis. She did not even offer to refund the nights we did not use. We did not ask for it either, so we ended up wasting money but it would have been worse had we not left the resort.
The staff are fine and are friendly but the resort is as good as its owner and operator.

If I were you, go to the north part of the island by El Nido. Of if you are in a budget there are a lot of cheap apartelles in the city.

I would not recommend this resort to anyone, not even if they cut the price to a third of it's current rate.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LUVtravlnWorld
maniladoglover, Owner at Princessa Holiday Resort, responded to this review, 31 August 2007
As much as we appreciate positive comments and suggestions from our guests, I regret that some comments are totally incorrect and some statements sound out of the real world.
Because of the wrong info from this Tripadvisor member "LUVtravlnWorld", the resort claims the right to send a reply to Tripadvisor.
We would like to state that we accept that any guest has the right to his opinion. As long as it is factual we listen to it and try to improve. :
Princessa Holiday Resort is a work in progress, we never pretend that it is perfect.
But when a comment sounds like hate mail we have to protect our operations and our people, and the best way is to point at the wrong and false statements :

- "The location is not ideal". That is one opinion out of hundreds of guests who think differently.

- "Tourist places in Palawan are all up north" is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. Please document yourself before traveling.

- "The resort does not feel safe" is a very personal impression. The resort has been in operation for 12 years now an NOTHING has ever happened that upset our guests. There are guards on duty 24/7 even along the beach.

- "...there are no other resorts close to it " WRONG , there are 2 resorts close by and a third one under construction.

- "...there is no vehicle or ride going out of the resort". This was mentioned in case of emergency. WRONG ! we have a vehicle and driver on call during the night, available within maximum 15 minutes. We have used that many times and it has proven reliable.

- "...no cellphone or connection to the internet..." ABSOLUTELY FALSE ! There is a Smart and Globe cell site within reach of the resort and both have a signal in Princessa. The internet connection was installed in December 2006 and has been up ever since. Princessa Holiday Resort is proud to be if not THE ONLY WIFI RESORT IN PALAWAN, ONE OF THE FEW. If the guests do not bring their own laptop, they can make use of 2 special computers in the business center.

- "The hotel is dilapidated. in the evenings..." ABSOLUTELY FALSE. There are more than 200 street lights ans perimeter lights all over the resort, inclusive along the beach.

-" The pool does not have lighting.." ABSOLUTELY FALSE. The pool which was built 8 years ago, is still in perfect condition and maintained daily, has 8 250Watt underwater lights plus 16 street lights in its immediate perimeter.

-"...resort is on slay soil..." ABSOLUTELY WRONG.
We can certify that the resort is on a sandy soil and the beach is white sand.

- "...you can not see the beach because the resort is bordered by wood fences" is FALSE STATEMENT. The resort is bordered by bamboo fences 6 feet high on the sides and 4 feet high along the beach (to keep out the pigs and goats from the neighbors). Anyone taller than 4feet 2" can see the beach.

- " ...no sign of civilization..." CORRECT, and it is precisely this that attracted most of our guests.

-" The accommodations are dilapidated..." incorrect. Some of the accommodations have been built in the past year...!!! how could they be dilapidated? But we assure that we will continue to upgrade all our facilities the best we can.

-"...no TV or radio in the accommodations". CORRECT, but we have these facilities in the Reception and in the social hall. If you go to our website you will learn all this before arrival, thus no surprises.

-"...no activities during the day..." ABSOLUTELY FALSE. See our website and check the list of activities during the day. But the guests writes that he only stayed one night....

Lets keep it real and honest. If I were not aware of the name of LUVtravlnWorld , I would doubt he has ever seen Princessa Holiday Resort even from the distance.

My advise to all potential guests, before booking, check out our website and call our booking offices if you have more questions. Know what we offer.