“Wonderful people, beautiful view, good food, swimming and diving at your door.”

Campbell's Beach Resort
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 10 June 2015

I enjoyed my stay in Sabang / La Laguna very much, and a large part of the reason why was the ownership and staff at Campbell's. They helped me with diving at Scandi Divers. They helped me with an affordable and nice room when I needed one, including moving me to a more expensive room for the same price when a normal technical difficulty came up in my first room. The beds were quite comfortable and I enjoyed my time on them very much. Thank you David and staff.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 May 2015 via mobile

Spent 5 days and 4 nights here. After having escaped dusty and noisy Manila and after quite a complicated bus-boat-tricycle ride we arrived at this beautiful place in big la Laguna-reasonable price,great hide away and relaxed as well as spontaneous diving possible. Snorkeling is also great in the bay! On Sunday's there is a barbecue and golfing off the rooftop. Meals in the restaurant are being served quick and things are fresh. Especially the owner and the manager were very helpful with hints for places to see in the Philippines. So there is no better place than this to start off your vacation,relax and do a bit of travel planning than Campbell's.

Stayed: May 2015
2  Thank Dimitrij K
Reviewed 26 April 2015

I stayed here for 6 days and 5 nights. It was my first time traveling alone and I was looking for a place that's quiet but not too remote and where the jungle and the beach meets. When I got to Campbell's it did not disappoint. Although I am a non-scuba diver in a scuba diving hotspot I enjoyed my stay at Campbell's. It was the perfect place for some R&R... away from all the hussle and bussle of the other beaches. You get to enjoy a wonderful view while eating at their restobar where the staff are friendly and ready to help. The price of the food is reasonable and they offer a bit of Thai cuisine. The beach room I stayed in was nice and adequate. The thing that I love most about it is that I just need to open the curtains to enjoy a wonderful view of the sunrise! If there is one thing I would comment on is that the bedsheet is too thin. So if you leave your aircon full blast all night you'll wake up freezing.

The beach is clean. If you get tired of laying on the beach (which by the way is not crowded) you have the option of kayaking and snorkeling. Sabang is very accessible... you just need to walk 8-10 mins. Overall... this place is worth the money, time and effort of visiting. I'm already planning of going back!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Shiela A
Reviewed 16 April 2015

Campbells is a fun and friendly hotel which is budget friendly and has pleasant staff.

The food prices are reasonable for the portion sizes and tastes pretty good. The drinks are a bit hit and miss on strength. I ordered a long island ice tea (p175) from their sister hotel and side by side with a rhum coke it tasted identical. If you want a guaranteed buzz then perhaps stick to the bottled beers.

The rooms are kept clean and fairly well maintained. There was a blinking light and a grounding issue (electrostatic sensation) when powering a device with a metal grounded exterior, but nothing that really caused a problem.

The penthouse rooms have their own wifi point but we weren't able to get it working the whole trip. We asked others and they confirmed the same thing, it's not working. So no wifi in the room. Luckily we had our Globe 3G.

The wifi in the resto area worked fine.

Our bathroom was a little strange. It has a window but there's a material preventing you from looking through it. I think behind that window is a staff area because you'll be using the toilet and hear people talking and a radio or TV playing. It was a little off-putting.

Our side lamp didn't have a bulb so we had the choice of a big light or no light. I asked for a bulb but was told only the maintenance staff know where they're kept. We just used the bathroom light as a night light for the rest of the stay.

I'd recommend avoiding the "Starbucks" coffee they sell. The prices are inline with genuine SB prices in Manila but the drinks are not the same. There's a reason why Starbucks use big expensive machines and have lengthy training programs for Baristas. Don't waste your money on these fake Starbucks drinks.

Putting a Toyota Engine into a Jeepney doesn't make it a Toyota Hilux. Using Starbucks beans doesn't make it a legit Starbucks coffee.

If possible, look for a room that has a window-type aircon since these will turn back on automatically after a power outage. We had a split type aircon that didn't turn back on after the power outage, so we kept waking through the night to a hot room, having to turn the aircon back on again.

There are little reminders during your stay that it's a budget hotel. For example we spent from midday until 8pm eating and drinking in the resto. At around 7pm we realised we hadn't drank any water all day so we all had 2 glasses of house water each. We were then told that any more water would have to be charged. Seriously? Ordering food and drink for 8 hours and you're going to charge for house water?

Overall it's a budget friendly hotel with a great view and a good location to jump off to other areas.

Room Tip: Look for a room with window-type AC which turns back on after brownout.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank MrFarscape
davedo20, Owner at Campbell's Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2015

Like teachers everyone grades differently , we are pleased we were given 3 stars, as of the 8 hotel reviews only 1 hotel received a higher rating by this reviewer. Critical comments do help us make our resort better
The split air conditioning units are new, we were not aware they did not restart with power outage to generator and back. We have adjusted the unit controls to remedy that problem.

We proudly serve Starbucks coffee and 98 per cent of our customers really love it. We average 6-8 cups a day in a day not 600 a day like in a Starbucks store , so to keep consistent quality with a low volume we chose a machine that grinds beans individually for each cup as Starbucks switched to a few years ago. They decided people paying that much money want hand brewed coffee for a more old style coffee shop feeling so they switched back. Our prices are about 15 per cent cheaper than in a Starbucks store in Manila. We bring the coffee directly from Starbucks home city of Seattle. I believe we are still the only place on the island of Mindoro with its 1 million people serving Starbucks coffee

Reviewed 12 April 2015

It has been 20 years since we have visited Big Lalaguna. When we arrived at Sabang I couldn,t believe all the development and how crowded it was. We walked to lalaguna and I was afraid I would be disappointed to see the change. When we walked around the corner and there it was. Almost the same as when we left 20 years ago. We love Campbells because it is at the far end of the beach and it is very quiet because you can,t go any farther. The resort was clean the beer was cold, the shower was hot,the food was great and the staff and Thomas the manager were all friendly and they went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable.We will defiantly go back again and we won't wait 20 years!!

Room Tip: Always read all the trip reviews and ignore the worst one
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends