“Selo route”

Book In Advance
More Info
USD 86.30*
and up
Mount Merapi Small-Group Sunrise Climb from...
Ranked #8 of 242 things to do in Yogyakarta
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The travelling was pleasant as it was green and scenic. As we drove up, the air was cool and breezy. Check the weather forecast and go on a day with good visibility.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,072)
All reviews
in 88 reviews
"village"
in 148 reviews

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Volcano has its own mysteries, there is beauty and there is destruction in it. Can view the majestic volcano for me is a precious moment to feel the greatness of God. You can come face to face with Mount Merapi seen from Kali Adem (lane Merapi lava). If you are lucky and the weather is nice, Merapi can be seen clearly from this place.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

My friend and I joined the Mount Merapi sunrise tour under Satu Dunia Tours.

- Booking the tour: We signed up for the tour on the same day as the our hotel pickup (10pm).

- Local guide: Our tour guide was really helpful and encouraging. He even carried our water for us. Luckily, my friend is able to converse in the local language as he spoke very little english. But nonetheless he was a very friendly and we relied heavily on him - he never hesitated to lend us a hand when we were descending.

- Preparation: This was the first mountain/volcano I have ever scaled. My friend and I brought 1 windbreaker and wore sport shoes. It gets really cold if you stop and rest for too long. It would be better to have proper hiking boots but we managed well. The hike was definitely not easy. I trekked up to the 3rd plateau whilst my friend stopped at the 2nd - not bad considering we were pretty unfit. I personally don't like walking poles, but there was someone in the group who used his tripod as a walking stick which seems to be helpful. We just held on to trees and rocks to go up.

- Price: We paid IDR300,000 each as there was only 2 of us. If you have 3 or more people in your group you just have to pay IDR 275,000 each.

- Weather: The weather forecast was rainy everyday (monsoon period) but we were lucky that it didn't rain. Although it was cloudy, the view was awesome. Most people trek up in july and august according to our guide.

Really recommend that you trek up even if you can't make it to the top. The view is still awesome!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

the ride was very bumpy! but all the elderly enjoyed it. without taking the jeep, you won't be able to get so near to Merapi. We paid RP275,000 for a jeep which can take at most 4 pax. During the jeep tour, we got to see villages destroyed by the volcanic ash. There is a "museum" (a village house) on the way where we saw skeleton of a calf, computer, melted radio compo and television etc. Was told that the money spent to buy souvenirs at the museum will go to help the villagers. So I bought a cool Tshirt at RP40,000 without bargaining.