“Doesn't deserve to be 5 star”

The Media Hotel And Towers
Ranked #187 of 462 Hotels in Jakarta
Kupang, Indonesia
“Doesn't deserve to be 5 star”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Do not expect the usual 5 star Sheraton standard! This hotel is old and desperately needs renovation. Got assigned to SPG Floor, with breakfast and late-checkout, still didn't meet our expectation. If you want a Sheraton experience, you won't get it here. You still get Sheraton amenities, from stationary to bathroom products, even the bed. But the room is just too old and doesn't seem to be properly maintained. I notice stains on the bedsheets! Well, take the Sheraton name out, then this this hotel is OK. Its conveniently close to ITC Mangga Dua and the price is quite good value for money. You get what you pay for, just don't expect a Sheraton stay.

9 Thank Lindy196
Sheraton-Media-Hotel, Manager at The Media Hotel And Towers, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Dear Lindy,

My Name is Algamar Idris, Executive Assistant Manager of Sheraton Media Hotel & Towers Jakarta.

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. We truly value your constructive comments, as we believe that they would help us to continually monitor and upgrade the quality of our service standard.

I personally look forward to welcoming you back and having the opportunity of better serve you.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Zealand
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Sheraton Media is an older Sheraton property, close to the large and inexpensive Mangga Dua shopping mall complex in north Jakarta.

I am a Sheraton SPG member and I found it convenient to stay when I had a mid morning departure from Jakarta airport, and wanted to stay in Jakarta itself (as the airport is some distance from the city), but wanted to be near the airport freeway and not have to fight morning traffic congestion.

The Sheraton hotel is clean and tidy but definitely in need of an upgrade and refurbishment. I imagine it is not considered a priority by Sheraton, as the hotel is not in the prestigious Golden Triangle area of Jakarta, and possibly appeals more to Indonesian business travellers than to international guests. I stayed twice in October/November and both times the hotel was hosting local business conferences.
There is a Chinese restaurant in the lobby, and a Thai restaurant, and in international buffet restaurant on the pool floor. Occassionally they also offer poolside BBQ. I ate in the Thai restaurant where they offered a very inexpensive "all you can eat" buffet from a reduced menu. The meal was very nice. (This may have been a specific promotion). The pool area is on a balcony and is also nicely landscaped.

I was upgraded to a suite on the executive floor, and found the lounge to be comfortable and the breakfast small but attentive. Staff were friendly and very helpful. The rooms were spacious, clean and tidy although the decor was a bit dated.

If you are on business but have family it is worth noting that Sheraton Media is also very close to Ancol Dreamland (Taman Impian Jaya Ancol) - Jakarta's largest and most popular recreation area including Seaworld aquariums, Fantasy world themepark, swimming beaches and Atlantis water park, golf course, etc.
Novotel Mangga Dua and Ibis Mangga Dua are other hotels in the vicinity.

4 Thank Brett M
Sheraton-Media-Hotel, Manager at The Media Hotel And Towers, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Dear Sir,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

For your information, some of our guest rooms have been renovated and those rooms have new look and much better facilities now. Please let me know when you plan to visit us again and I look forward to welcoming you back and having the opportunity of better serve you.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Very strange experience in this hotel, i booked for two nights in the hotel via latestays.com, when i get there, could only stay one night.....hmmm........OK. Next morning for check out, they charge me two nights, then gave me money back, took the money from me again, gave me different amount back, three invoices, 4 different amounts, 5 different staff.......and asking me why i cut my stay short......because you told me to !!!!!

Disaster, took me hour to check out, missed my important meeting and left very very unhappy !!

Hardware is OK of course,, but boy bad software !!

8 Thank Patrickfromhongkong
Sheraton-Media-Hotel, Manager at The Media Hotel And Towers, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Dear Mr. Patrick

Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future.

Mr. Patrick, we truly value your constructive comments, as we believe that they would help us to continually monitor and upgrade the quality of our service including the service standard of our staff, especially during check-in and check-out process as well as confirming details of reservations. Once again, please accept our sincere apologize for the unpleasant experience.

Singapore
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I just checked in and am unable to believe that this is a Sheraton. I hope the next two days here will help me change my very disappointing first impression. I still can't believe this.

8 Thank Aby M
Dear Aby,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement, but unfortunately your feedback did not provide our hotel with details information that we can review to improve on for the future.

Aby, we truly value your constructive comments, as we believe that they would help us to continually monitor and upgrade the quality of our service including the service standard of our staff.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Basically it's an old structure Hotel, trying to offer their customers as per latest requirement. Rooms are fitted with old fittings. No wi-fi facility. Location is prime BUT area is traffic congested.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Amrutva
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with the Sheraton Media Hotel & Towers during your recent visit to Jakarta.

I have read your comments and I would like to inform you that some of our guest rooms have just been renovated and those rooms have new look and much better facilities now.

With regard to internet, unfortunately this facility currently is provided free of charge limited only for our SPG Platinum member guests, Towers and Suites. We are truly sorry that we are unable to fulfill your request for free internet during your last stay. However the wi-fi service in the public area, restaurant and bars are free 24 hours, you can easily asked for free internet voucher for free. We apologize for not having this informed to you earlier.

Best regards,