“A modern and friendly hotel”
Review of Alila Jakarta

Alila Jakarta
Ranked #28 of 468 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have been in Alila several times, stayed in standard room and suites, at least 3 different kinds of them.
Rooms were clean and neat! The pool was not bad either. Internet were free!
Although there weren't much to see near the hotel, but the hotel itself was good enough.
I enjoyed the time I stayed in the hotel. There were Cafe and restaurant on the first floor.
Cozy space for breakfast and a lobby with sofas where you could meet friends.
Now there was one floor remodeled to an executive lounge provided better service,
which was really impressive!!
I would love to stay at Alila everytime I go to Jakarta!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was not aware that I had booked any sort of superior room ("executive room" can mean anything these days) so upon arrival I was pleased to be escorted to the exec lounge with dedicated check-in, with a private cocktail bar and restaurant which was the perfect atmosphere for some light business (quiet music, free wifi) but also pleasant enough to spend the evening in.

The room was a good size, lacking an ironing board but one arrived within two minutes of calling reception. Power shower almost knocked me out which was actually a pleasant surprise (being 11 floors up) and plenty of toiletries, towels, a spacious bathrooms and floor-to-ceiling window looking out over a very noisy and chaotic Jakarta. Up till about 10pm it was noisy outside, but this is unavoidable given the location.

Breakfast was also in the 7th floor lounge, either buffet or a la cartle, both of which were included in my room price. I was impressed that despite never verbally giving my name, almost every staff member confidently greeted me with it. All spoke perfect English leaving me feeling, as usual, like a typical native english speaker abroad. Check-out was brisk and a taxi arrived in minutes.

Overall a very pleasant stay, I wish I had been there for longer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank YourLocalGP
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I've stayed at this hotel for one night and it was very good. Staff was very helpful with my transportation throughout Jakarta, they helped me for example with timetable for my trip to Taman Mini Indonesia by public transport. There is nice lobby near the entrance with wifi, electricity sockets and tables. I had room at one of the top floor and had a nice view of the city. Room was spaicous, although it had a little cold design. There are several restaurants near hotel and supermarket on the opposite side of hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get room on one of the top floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Came here to attend a wedding, I must say its a lovely place to stay, clean and nice rooms. Staff are helpful and friendly and most important speak good fluent English. Especially love the Alila spa here, we took a couple room and it was a really huge room. Splendid massage, did a 90min, not expensive. Lots of Singaporeans stay here, mostly for business trip. Cost about usd100 per night. :)

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank snah55
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I've been to the main restaurant, Buzz, a few times over the past six or so years, and this was my second stay at the Alila. My perception is that the place has slipped a little in standards, but it's still quite decent. The staff are mostly an asset - competent, engaging and often charming. The design is nice but I get the feel that this is the legacy and architecture of the place speaking, and that current management does not really have a design sense. Too much trading on "minimalist" when what it really is is "hospital-like functional". The free wireless was appreciated.
Breakfast
I'm vegetarian and my comments relate to the quality not the lack of range (although that was a problem also). The bread was good (proper bread) and the coffee (espresso) was also fine. But the fruit was extremely tasteless and the selection completely uninteresting (just the standard pineapple, canteloupe, melon, pineapple etc). The cheese was the usual 3 star hotel breakfast buffet selection of brie/camembert, blue cheese etc which is fine but the quality was low - hard and bland. Grilled tomatoes with a blob of cheese on top which is really common but really naff. No baked beans, which I thought was a staple for buffet breakfast (and much appreciated by many people ?). A proper honey collector with honeycomb which was classy.
Design
The restaurant, physically and visually, is quite a nice space ... up to waist level. Nice carpet, nice chairs, but then any more altitude and it starts looking like an airport. I don't know if plants will help here. The kamboja courtyard is beautiful however. Just that inside it's too functional - I suppose it's trying to be minimalist, but it doesn't work. The gado-gado was excellent. The usual gouging with bottled water. And the usual steep price for wine (and they had run out of the only one I wanted).
Lobby area is fine as long as you are not facing the street. Looking that way (the street), it is ugly and brutal - I'm surprised the hotel doesn't do something about it. Some screens, bamboo perhaps ? Or some plants might soften it up. But it doesn't engender a nice feeling and if the hotel cannot see that this is damaging then they need to get someone in control who IS sympathetic to the aesthetics. Strong use of citronella in the lobby, which I recall they have been doing for some years. It's not unpleasant, but quite overpowering.
Room & value
Room was fine, but underdelivered considering it was labelled "Executive Premier" - in fact felt like a standard room in a 4-to-5 star hotel. Strange material on the floor - like faux parquetry or something, seems to be lino. At US$135 ++ (i.e. +21%) I felt the room price was at the upper edge of the "reasonable value" range for this type of room in this type of hotel in Jakarta. At between US$90-100++ I would have felt much more comfortable with my decision to stay there.
Swimming pool
Quite a nice pool, about 16 metres perhaps, just long enough to do laps. What disappointed me was that, like most hotels everywhere, management merely pays lip service to getting people to shower before using the pool. It's there in the rules that are stuck up on the wall in a corner, but clearly it's not a priority for management, otherwise there would be a prominent sign, and some enforcement by the attendant. My sample size of four people who entered the pool when I was in there had only one showering. So that's a bit gross and really turned me off using the pool, and then of course I started wondering about management's approach to hygiene in other areas of the hotel's operations.
All in all, it was fine, and the staff are good, it's management that I feel that is letting the price down, and the pricing is a bit off. Next time in Jakarta I may go back but I'll probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business