“Spectacular views of Bali, but you have to work for it :)”
Review of Mount Agung

USD 62.00*
Mount Agung Hiking Tour
Ranked #81 of 804 things to do in Bali
Reviewed 3 May 2015 via mobile

Started the climb at 1.30am from Pura Pasar Agung (the easier route) and took us 4 hours to the top. Offers great views of East and South Bali on a clear day and nice view of the volcano crater.

Similar in difficulty to Kinabalu, so a certain level of fitness is required.

Tips: Get a guide, prepare warm clothing (a layering strategy would work well), a headlamp, and 2 liters of water, and sufficient sleep. Also, it helps to stay in a nearby town like Selat or Sidemen, so that you don't have to wake up that early to get to the starting point. It could take up to 2 hours from the Kuta area, so do plan ahead and good luck!

5  Thank Kenny L

Reviewed 2 May 2015

Climbing up and down this volcano was the highlight of my trip to Bali!!

We booked from a local travel agency in Ubud, paid 500,000 per person, we were a group of 5, 3 girls 2 guys ages 26 - 36 of average fitness. Expect to pay more if you're a smaller group.

We were picked up at 12am from our hotel in Ubud and taken to the starting point, about 1.5 hours drive away where we met our 2 guides.
From there it was about 4.5 hours hike up the mountain starting from a temple, going through a little bit of jungle before it clears.
It is very steep, but doable. The ground is muddy / rocky. You don't notice much on the way up as it is dark, but on the frequent rest stops you can look back and realise how far up you are and how beautiful the island is!

We arrived at the summit about 6am and stopped for breakfast (provided by the guides) and to watch the sunrise - we all felt AMAZING at this stage... it is an extremely beautiful place, even though it was cloudy (at this stage we're above the clouds) the sunrise is beautiful.
Breakfast was simple but delicious, local buns and some hard boiled eggs.

Going down was the same route as going up, it took us about 4 hours and it was HARD due to the steepness and rocky / muddy ground.
It is still enjoyable though, now that the sun has risen you can actually see and appreciate the surroundings - rocks, trees and the occasional monkey.

At the end you will be SO HAPPY to get back to the start point - there is a little shop where you can buy beer, water and some snacks.

I cannot recommend this trek enough.. we were abit nervous to do it at first hearing about how hard it was, but it turned out to be very doable. Our legs were sore for 2 days after - but the good kind of sore that makes you feel alive and relaxed.

After the hike our driver took us to a local coffee / tea plantation where you can sample teas and coffees for free (and buy if you like). Kopi Luwak (the famous cat poo coffee) is also available.

Note that it is quite cold at the summit - you should definitely wear long pants and bring a long sleeve jacket. I hiked to the top in a singlet and was fine, but as soon as you stop moving you feel cold.
Also bring snacks for the way up and extra water (even though it is provided).

I cannot recommend highly enough our driver - he was open, friendly, full of recommendations, had a great sense of humour but beyond that went out of his way to help us by calling our previous taxi company to try and recover a camera we'd left.
Meeting and chatting to this guy in itself should be a tourist attraction :)

We really felt that we could trust him - he didn't try to rip us off (we knew prices from shopping around), and he was very accommodating - picking us up from Ubud, waiting for us while we had lunch, dropping us off in Uluwatu after the hike.

If anyone wants to contact him as a private driver or book tours (you can book pretty much anything through him - rafting, volcano, elephants, Gilli islands) his details:
Name: Yan Darma
Mobile: +62 87 862 236 284
Viber / Whatsapp: +62 812 46 059 004
email: darmono2003@gmail.com

19  Thank Gza11
Reviewed 30 April 2015 via mobile

One of a kind vew. Worth the money.
Make sure you're fit to climb it. GET A GUIDE!!! Climbing at night must have a guide to be up in time for the sun rise.
Use the package as they will pick you up have a guide and take you back to the hotel.

Totally worth it.

Filip

2  Thank Fsuha
Reviewed 17 April 2015

I booked through my hotel and the guide arrived at my hotel at 01.45 to take me to the mountain with the hopes we will make it to the top by sunrise (approx 06.30). I'm not in the greatest of shape and was nursing a knee injury, but I was stubborn and really wanted to make the climb. I had read reviews that this would be tough, so was somewhat prepared (mentally at least!).

My guide was very patient and helpful. We had to stop several times to rest and take in the view. On two occasions it started to rain and lightning and we sought refuge under some rocks for the weather to pass. This meant missing the sunrise but we got to the top just after and it was still absolutely incredible! Unlike anything I've ever seen before.

The walk down was the toughest part by far, however. Not only are you already exhausted, but the constant downhill trek did a number on my toes, knees and thighs. But again, once you get to the bottom, it's an incredible feeling.

Door to door the entire experience took me about 12 hours. Slow, I know, but totally worth it.

Suffice to say, DEFINITELY worth it, but just try to get into some kind of shape before you go so you can make the most of it.

6  Thank jmont2015
Reviewed 8 April 2015

Let me first say that Mount Agung was my very first mountain experience. At that time I was relatively fit and did mainly running, but I did not read the reviews and was not mentally or physically prepared for (what should have been about 12hours)the 14 hour tough hike I was about to embark on.

We started from Besakih Temple at 10pm, the weather was cool and I was in tights and a dry fit t-shirt. Have about 3 litres of water in your pack and bring along both breakfast and lunch. High cut hiking boots, headlight (60-100 lumens at least), poles, base layer, hiking pants, mid layer jacket and wind / waterproof jacket are a must especially for those like me coming from a country that is summer all year round, and of course your camera!
You will be walking through the tree line, climbing up roots of trees, slipping on scree through narrow channels, and climbing up boulders way above the clouds. Don’t forget to pace yourself and take rests every hour or so, sit down and take in the view of Bali lit up at night and just star gaze. The scenery and vegetation changes as you go up, so take your time to appreciate it on your way down. Once you reach the summit, which is a relatively narrow ridgeline, it will get very windy. Sit down at the top and enjoy the sun rising, casting a shadow of the perfect peak before you. See Mount Rinjani in the distance to the east and gaze down towards Mount Batur to the west. It’s simply breath taking.

Coming down was painful because I didn’t have poles, at some points it will be easier sliding down on your butt than to walk down, well that’s what I did! Thus here I recommend hardy pants. Coming down the tree line back down to Besakih temple is harder than going up so if you have weak knees do bring a patella guard.

For first timers in Asia, I would suggest attempting Mount Kinabalu or at least Mount Batur first to get the feel of hiking before conquering this mountain. Although it maybe tough, the experience and the view was simply unforgettable.

For more pictures and a detailed packing list, you can visit my blog @ https://kayladeedum.wordpress.com/

7  Thank kayladeeda