“Not recommended! Not even if you are on a budget”

Travelers' Soul Inn Nanjing
Travelers' Soul Inn Nanjing
Ranked #1,004 of 1,896 Hotels in Nanjing
Shanghai
“Not recommended! Not even if you are on a budget”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We have stayed in many budget/hostel type of accommodation in China. Many of them are labelled "backpackers or youth hostels" but they are in fact cosy bed and breakfasts and are super value for money. This one I am afraid disappointed on all fronts. We were a group of friends that travelled to Nanjing for the weekend and were looking for accommodation that could also accommodate kids. From check inn to check out we encountered one disaster after the other. The staff are not well trained for their job or simply don't care. Restaurant orders were done incorrectly, meals never arrived. Bills were a nightmare to sort out. The food was not good at all. The best thing about the place was a good variety of Belgian (cold) beers. Another plus point was that our bed was big and comfortable and the air conditioning worked (although it sounded like it is going to rattle out of the wall any second). It is NOT a small cosy backpackers but rather a large hotel that hosts raucus parties on the weekend. I heard the worse ever open air karaoke this weekend! Oh, and did I mention that I woke up with a strange guy and all his luggage in my room at two o' clock in the morning arguing with me that I was in the wrong room and refused to leave!
The place also is not cheap and I have stayed in many 4 star hotels in China for the same price. As far as the kids are concerned they had fun in the little forest behind the hotel but they were completely devoured by mosquitoes (despite precautions). There is a very beautiful pottery museum on the premises and that (sort of) saved the weekend. Close by attractions are the Nanjing city wall that is walking distance and quite worthwhile visiting. The Nanjing massacre memorial is quite far away and the easiest way is to take a taxi there. The bus service is confusing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Guys!!! A piece of advice - DO NOT STAY in this hotel!!!
I will tell you my story and you make necessary conclusions:

Me and my boyfriend planed a perfect trip to Nanjing for my birthday, we were supposed to stay at Garden hotel for two nights. We booked romantic room 508 RMB per night.
Our story started straight at the check in, the guy asked us for deposit of 200RMB for the room. I gave him cash than he asked us to pay straight for 2 nights. I asked if we could pay at the check out, he said yes but till than he will keep my passport as a guarantee. I told him that there is no way he will keep my passport for 2 days and leave me without documents. I said that I will give him my credit card details as a guarantee and in a case of me running away with their TV he will charge me. He said OK and took my credit card and lock it at his desk, when I asked him what he is doing he said taking your credit card away for 2 days. Well, as you can imagine I was already pretty furious staying at the reception for an hour trying to figure out why this “receptionist” wants to take all my personal belongings away. I said I will pay buy card, he charges me 1200, me assuming that I will get my cash deposit back put my PIN and wait. He takes the receipt and nothing else. I asked for my cash deposit back, he refused saying I will get it back at the check out, after numerous questions why I should give him in total 382 RMB as a deposit, some girl from a management gave me cash back. After around 50 sorry that they told me, 2 cups of coffee and 2 beers offered and refused we finally went to the room. And what we found there? NO HOT WATER, NO INTERNET, and SMELLING ROOM. We went down asking what is going on, they told us we will get the water when we will be back. Ok, we want to the city, 10PM we are back, still no hot water. All day shift is gone, night one barely speak English, on our question for what we are paying 1016 RMB they could not say. But one guy at the reception explained why we don’t have internet, it is because we have Apple and Apple could not reach the signal. I showed them the description to the hotel saying WI-FI at the entire hotel and free of charge, but what the hell still Apple’s fault and plus we are lucky enough to have WI-FI at the lobby, why we are complaining about rooms?!! Well sum up it was already 23:30pm, we were demanding our money so we can get out of this horrible place and to move to other hotel but noo wayyy The boss, whom they were calling for 1 hour straight refused to do that, telling that we should spend at least 1 night there. We refused, after 2 hours they sent as GM’s assistant to talk, after explaining the whole story AGAIN , she AGAIN called the boss. Well at the end, after 3 hours we managed to get our money back and went to Eastern Pearl Hotel, which was really nice. I hope my story will help you fellow travellers!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Nanjing hotels