“Peking Duck is a must”

Peking Garden Restaurant (Alexandra House)
Ranked #117 of 8,973 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: USD 25 - USD 100
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We went to the TST branch in Star House. Huge venue, ever table occupied. We were lucky to snag a table with a harbor view, but it's really not necessary, as the show is really the many Peking Ducks paraded around the room. While the order taking might be rushed, and the atmosphere more like a madhouse than a gourmet dining experience, the duck does nit disappoint, moist, crisp skinned and divine, Can't wait to return. Just one suggestion, make sure that you order from someone who speaks English ---- at the next table a group thought they were ordering three bowls of white rice, what was brought to the table was three glasses of white wine.

There are newer reviews for Peking Garden Restaurant (Alexandra House)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Hong Kong friends took us here. They did all the ordering which included the Peking duck, some delicious dumplings filled with broth and minced pork. You pierce the top of the dumpling and suck out the broth before cutting and eating the dumpling itself with the pork. We also sampled mandarin fish - a lake fish steamed in fragrant spices, some vegetables, and noodles with shrimp. BUT... we wanted to order the Beggar's Chicken which much be ordered in advance, and so... we went back. Beggar's chicken was an experience and the staff make a little ceremony out of it for the customers, so it is fun as well as delicious! It is a whole chicken seasoned with spices that is wrapped in lotus leaves and then covered with clay. Then it is baked until the chicken is cooked in its own juices and the clay becomes hard. The staff brings a large brown oval to the table and invite one of the diners (in this case, me) to crack open the shell. I was given a golden mallet and hit the clay shell until it cracked. The staff then took it and prepared it, removing the shell, and unwrapping the lotus leaves - serving the chicken and its juices in the nest of leaves. Your waiter also takes a photo while you are ceremoniously "opening" the clay shell. At the end of the meal, I was presented with the photo and a miniature golden mallet contained in a small, red box. On the back of the cardboard photo frame, the legend of Beggar's Chicken is explained. The dish supposedly dates back to the Ching Dynasty (1736 - 1765) where an old beggar stole a chicken from a farm. As he had no utensils, he wrapped the chicken in lotus leaves and then covered it with mud and cooked it over an open fire which hardened the mud and braised the chicken. When he opened the shell, he discovered his chicken perfectly cooked and flavoured with the lotus leaves. The restaurant recommends ordering this dish 24 hours in advance, but we ordered it about 5 hours in advance and were able to get it. Great fun and good food!

2  Thank gentlejourneys
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I lived in HK for two years and frequently patroned Peking Garden. On a recent return trip since moving back to the US, Peking Garden was near the top of my 'must do' list. I've been to Beijing and tried many of the top Beijing/Peking duck restaurants, including Dadong, and have to say that Peking Garden is my absolute favorite. I enjoy the hoisin sauce plus they use the tortilla rather than the bun.

My preferred method of eating the duck is meat with skin for the tortillas. For the second course, the minced duck meat with lettuce is better than the duck soup.

In addition to the Peking Duck, I recommend: scallops with black bean sauce, egg white with scallops, jumbo shrimp with salted egg yolk. For dessert, the banana flambé is excellent.

The crowd is primarily business folks with some tourist and locals for special occasions. It can be pricey but one tip is to use the Platinum AMEX (or Centurion if you ball like some of my partners). HK AMEX members get a discount on the total bill.

Note: there are locations in TST and Admiralty but the Central branch is the best. I've also tried the sister site in the Greenbelt mall in Makati, Philippines.

1  Thank chipboy07
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Four of us ate here for our first night in Hong Kong. The service was great. The head waiter helped us with our peking duck. He was very nice and not patronizing. The food was very good. There was a noodle making demo during dinner. I recommend.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

This restaurant has the most incredible bbq duck!
Everything taste good and the service is fast.
You have 2 Peking Garden in HK, one in TST (Star house) and one in Central.
It is not a cheap restaurant but it worth it.

1  Thank BabyCParis