“Rude indifferent staff”

Ranked #146 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Toronto, Canada
“Rude indifferent staff”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I travel to Hong Kong a lot as I have family living there and most recently went there this Christmas. I do not recommend this hotel to anybody who understands what good service is like.

The front desk is completely indifferent to your requests (and makes fun of in Cantonese if you look like an English speaker). The cleaning staff wanders in regardless of whether your room cleaning light is on.

The rooms are nice though and you get a bigger room than expected for the price, however, I would prefer courteous staff over a couple extra sqft.

Room Tip: get city/harbour view on a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank rebecca l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Took a 4 night stay in L'hotel in Januray 2012. The positives are that it is reasonably priced for Hong Kong Island and conveniently situated close to Tin Hau MTR and the main tram line so that getting around is very simple.

The hotel itself is good enough, the room was comfortable and clean but functional rather than special. The bathroom well stocked with toiletries and the housekeeping servive quick and efficient. Internet was available in the rooms but at a price which I personally find quite annoying. I needed to get some documents printed and scanned during my stay and although there was no business service the front desk staff were happy and able to assist.

There was no breakfast included in my rate and my advice for others in this situation would be to eat outside. For a Westerner the choice and ambience was uninspiring possibly because it was quite cold at the time of year.

The service was adequate but the experience was of being a customer rather than a welcome guest. Overall, it was value for money but a place to stay at not to linger in.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank geoffhoppy
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We've just returned from spending 2 weeks at the hotel. I booked a room via a discount website, but as a birthday surprise for my wife, I contacted the hotel direct asking about an upgrade to an Excecutive Harbour View Room (which we had stayed in on a previous visit). I was quoted a reasonable price & confirmed the upgrade. When we arrived, the hotel upgraded us to the best room in the hotel, the Executive Harbour View Suite on the top floor, at no extra cost. The room was great, separate sitting room & bedroom, with fabulous views over Causeway Bay, Victoria Park, towards Wanchai & Central, Victoria Harbour & Kowloon on the mainland. The open plan bathroom was a hoot, with separate open bath & spacious shower cubicle. There was even a separate guest toilet in the room foyer. We spent a lot of time during our stay enjoying the views. The room was serviced daily in an exemplary manner, well cleaned & requisites replenished. With the Don't Disturb light on, the maid did not bother us at any point. When we left the room, often as late as noon, we turned on the Make Up Room light, & this had always been done before we returned. All the staff we came across were very well trained, polite & efficient. We didn't use the restaurant at any point, but we used the basement bar (not open on Sundays) a couple of times, where the service was perfect. The 2 for 1 Happy "Hour" is excellent value, particularly for gin martini cocktails, which were very good. The hotel claims to be 4 star, but we would rate it as very good 3 star. The hotel location is great, the MTR is literally across the road & bus & tram stops are conveniently nearby. It's only a short walk, though the park is nice, to Causeway Bay & Wanchai.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view room, it's worth the extra.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spentbrothers
Tokyo
Reviewed 6 January 2012

It was my third stay at this hotel and the quality and service has been very consistent. Just like my last stay they did not take my requests of a particular type of room into consideration and I had to argue to get my way. Last time they put us in a smoking room (awful smell) and this time they gave a king bed where 2 friends wanted to have 2 singles. Both times after being persistent we got the room we wanted (so they were available in the first place!?).

The rooms are a bit on the small side but all the necessary amenities are provided and the rooms are clean. Towels smell a bit like bleach but nothing major.

The location is what I like best about this hotel - Its right across from Tin Hau station and just a few stops from all the action. You can also walk to Causeway Bay in about 10 minutes, through Victoria Park. Cabs to central station/HK station are about 50 HK Dollars (5-6 USD).

All-in-all a good hotel if you are planning to spend most of your time outside and dont want to splurge on the hotel. If you are ok to pay a bit more or if it is your first time in HK probably better to get something around Central / Soho.

Room Tip: 37th floor has the best views
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank warlicht
Tainan, Taiwan
Reviewed 4 January 2012

A chic hotel,nice location.Though a little bit run down,but still well-maintained.Toiletries are good.But I have to say that the male staff in the front desk was not polite at all.The female staff seems more patient,but not the male one.I stayed there during the Aug summer time.The rest is pretty good.I am not sure if it because I am asian.If I am a caucasian,they could treat me in a different way.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo