“A difficult, but incredibly rewarding hike”
Review of Lion Rock

Lion Rock
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 78.75*
and up
5-Hour Hiking Tour in The Green to Lion Rock in...
Ranked #73 of 912 things to do in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: At 1624 feet tall this is one of Hong Kong's most recognizable landmarks.
Reviewed 20 August 2018

My husband and I love walking and hiking, but I wouldn't say we are the 'fittest' couple going - we do try and walk as much as possible, but I, in particular, has quite a lot of weight to my body. We hiked to the Lion Rock a couple of days ago, and even though it was tough in places it was one of the most amazing hikes we've ever done.

We took a train to the Wong Tai Sin Station, and then walked up the steep hill towards the temple, and then round the corner past it. The walk up the steep roads was definitely the hardest part, and on our way down we discovered a different way to come down which was just down some pretty easy steps. I still wouldn't suggest the steps as the way up though, as they were pretty boring without any view.

The hike all together took us about 3 hours - with lots of stops to take pictures and rest a little. We took 3L of water for us both, and should have taken more really. By the end of the hike both of us were covered in sweat, so make sure you take a change of clothes or at least a towel - you'll thank me for the suggestion haha!

Enjoy the hike - its amazing!!

All reviews
"views are amazing"
"views of hong kong"
"new territories"

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

This hike is a great way to escape the city for a morning or an afternoon. It is not very crowded and offers excellent views at the top and along they way. I also had a monkey follow me for a little while until he/she became bored and decided to ditch me. I enjoyed this hike more than any of the typical tourist attractions I saw. Just know that if you’re not accustomed to the heat and humidity, this hike can be a little strenuous at times so make sure you take enough water and perhaps an extra shirt for when you are done. I’m in reasonably good shape, but found myself going slow and taking my time in several areas. Also, there some spots where the stairs a quite steep so make sure you concentrate on the way down because you don’t want to fall. When I got back down I was completely soaked so I decided to take an Uber back to my hotel - totally worth it. I also took the advice of some reviewers and took a taxi from the Won Tai Sin MTR to the start of the trail for 24 HK.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

I've done a lot of hiking, am ex-military, in reasonably good shape still, and let me tell you at the outset that this hike is not easy. OK, now about the trail... The starting point is Wong Tai Sin MTR. From there you have two choices: 1. Leave the MTR on foot and hike up to the beginning of the trail. If you choose this option you're going to add at least an hour to your uphill hike (which you might regret later), and/or you're possibly going to get lost before you really get started. 2. Take Exit E and find the minibuses all lined up on a road about 200 metres away from the exit, and get on a Number 18. It's about a 7-8 minute bus ride from there to a corner where the bus can drop you off. You'll probably need Cantonese for this but the driver will likely understand where to drop you off if you use Chinese characters (狮子山). Given the lack of signage and difficulty of this trail I advise taking option 2.

Once you exit the bus at the corner there should be a temple (发藏寺) on your left. Keep walking up this winding road... again, on your left you'll pass a small hose where you can fill up with spring water, and then further up you'll (finally) see the first sign which says Lion Rock Country Park. This is where the trail begins. From the point where the bus drops you off to the beginning of the trail is approximately 30-40 minutes.

From this point to the top it's up stairs and a dirt path. The first 40 minutes or so isn't too bad and as you get closer to the top it levels off a bit. Near the end of the hike there's a sign that says "Lion Rock Peak 0.5km." This is the steepest part of the hike by far, but 10-12 minutes later you'll be on the top.

Once you reach the top there are spectacular views of the city. I would argue even better than from Victoria Peak as it's more open and you can see the entire city all at once. I've posted a few photos to give some idea of what it's like on the way up and at the top. FYI, we did this hike in early August and I was sweating my rear end off. Travel light, don't wear too much, keep water on hand, and wear proper shoes. On the way down you can turn left (just after the temple, now on your right) and catch a minibus about 300m down the road to take you back to the MTR. In total it took the two of us 1h36m to the top and 1h15m to get back down to the bus stop. Beautiful views, and a good day of exercise.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

This is one of the highest peak in HK and offers spectacular view of the city. But let me warn you , this is a hiking range and you have hike all the way up to get to the top. But just before you decide to do that carry lot of water and pack some snack if u gets hungry. Dress appropriately with some really comfortable shoes. This place has multiple entry points all around the hill bottom so just map-out the nearest entry close to where ever you are staying at.
Now most important part ,let me tell you total hike to this place is close to about 3.2 km and not 1.75 as it says in many reviews and websites. 1.75 Hike is just from a bifurcation point that leads to either lion’s peak or other one to ama rock; which you will come across after hiking for about a kilometer from the foot of the hill. The hike is really amazing and just surrounded by Natural beauty all around and view from the top is totally worth the effort. On a sunny day there are hundreds of hiker so place is relatively safe. Once you get to the top lion’s peak has 3 view points and I would advise you to visit all as they offers view of city from different angles .

1  Thank Dileep K